DXe, DXs, T8FB Transmitters

bigdano711

6, 7 and 8 channels, respectively. The DXe came with my RTF Carbon Cub S+ 1.3M that I bought 3+ years ago. It is still going strong. The DXs I bought as an "upgrade" to the DXe less than a year ago, but discovered it was anything but an upgrade. Less functionality but one more channel. Then the throttle/rudder stick started acting up on it. Spektrum/Horizon Hobby lost a customer as a result and I bought the RadioLink T8FB. This is RadioLink's entry level radio which came with a Rx for $49.99 at Amazon.

Yes, the T8FB is an 8 channel radio that has all the functionality (and then some) that the DXe promised and the DXs failed to deliver at less than HALF the price!!

Yes, the T8FB is noticeably smaller and is something I will try to get used to. Even tho it's smaller, it still feels solid, not light or cheap. Right off the bat, it is a cinch to hook up to an airplane and set up. Servo reversing can be done either by the app thru the phone or directly on the Tx itself by flipping a buried switch. You have to reach in with the tip of a ball point pen or similar.

The app on the phone hooks up via Bluetooth. Haven't gotten into mixing, in fact, I don't have a model that needs it. When I add flaps to the Carbon Cub, I'll mess with it then. Unlimited model memory.

I plan to maiden the Tiny Trainer with the T8FB today. Will report back my findings.

20220212_085242.jpg
20220212_085230.jpg

bigdano711

Maidened the Tiny Trainer on the T8FB this afternoon. First order of business: set up expo!

Turns out it is quite simple to do. It's found in the dual rate section of the app. You can set up rates and expo on each individual channel. Pretty sick. The downside is there seems to be only 2 different receivers for this radio, the R8EF and R8FM, of which only the R8EF is for airplanes. It does have Elevon and V-Tail capability, so that's pretty cool.

I set dual rate/expo as 100/30 and 75/30. Does that seem like a good starting point?

Musdang

Not Quite Legendary
Maidened the Tiny Trainer on the T8FB this afternoon. First order of business: set up expo!

Turns out it is quite simple to do. It's found in the dual rate section of the app. You can set up rates and expo on each individual channel. Pretty sick. The downside is there seems to be only 2 different receivers for this radio, the R8EF and R8FM, of which only the R8EF is for airplanes. It does have Elevon and V-Tail capability, so that's pretty cool.

I set dual rate/expo as 100/30 and 75/30. Does that seem like a good starting point?
That’s what I do on all of mine! If I’m feeling mischievous, I’ll use a 2 position switch and put 85/30.

bigdano711

is it the aileron wing?
Yes, I built it with the aileron wing. Put 2 more packs thru it yesterday. When my step daughter comes to visit this summer, I'll have her build her own trainer wing. I'll probably build one and set it aside just in case hers isn't so great, lol

I ended up going 90/30 for high and 60/30 for low. That 30% exponential makes such a huge difference in the twitchiness and flyability of a plane.

bigdano711

I should mention that I really like the placement of the trim tabs on this radio. If you look at the pic, you'll see that the tabs are off-center towards the inside for rudder/aileron and off-center towards the bottom for throttle/elevator. They were very easy to find with my thumbs and adjust during the trimming process.

Taildragger

Legendary member
Yes being able to find the trim tabs is important. I like the cross trim feature, it swaps the trim tabs, right to left. This allows me to adjust the trim, Aileron & Elevator, without taking my thumb off the stick.
That's a cool feature!