How exactly do I trim via the DX6?

JCourtney

How exactly do I trim via the DX6? Is it possible to trim just from the transmitter alone? I see a section in the menu called trim and everything is defaulted on 5. It looks like I can go down to 1 or up to 10, but it doesn't appear to be doing anything.

I've got a Sport Club S that in expert mode that I have to keep the elevator stick held down otherwise it'll descend. I was thinking there was a way to trim the elevators via the radio, but maybe I can't because it has the SAFE system?

I thought I would try and figure this out before I built my own plane.

CrashRecovery

I'm a care bear...Really?
Mentor
First trim the plane. check the elevator to see if it is not level. then check your radio to see if the elevator trim next to the stick hasn't been set the other way. Make sure it is centered and then if it still noses in adjust the subtrim.

pressalltheknobs

Posted a thousand or more times
By trim, I assume you mean some preset on the control surfaces of the plane. I don't have a D6 G2 but the principles are pretty universal. I took a look at the DX G2 manual since different terms are used to mean the same thing.

There are three ways to "trim"

1. Physically on the plane - Adjust the control rod length to set the "center" of control surface. Adjust the length of the control horn on the servo and/or the control surface to change how far the control surface moves - the throws. You have to do this if you build a plane. You may need to do this if you have to repair a plane and you might need to make some adjustments to a new pre-made plane out of the box, particularly if it needs assembly.

2. The servo configuration on the TX - You can adjust the servo center (aka sub trim) and max servo throws (aka travel adjust) and servo direction (aka reverse) for each channel electronically on programmable Transmitters. Generally it is easier to make final fine adjustment electronically. If you find you need to make big adjustments, this can work as a temporary fix but it's better to fix the plane..see 1.

Assuming you have a Dx6 G2 see page 28 of this manual for how to change the values https://www.horizonhobby.com/pdf/SPM6700-Manual_EN.pdf .

I don't see why SAFE should prevent you from making adjustments here but I suspect they would be subtle on a plane set up for that.

3. When flying - there are trim buttons next to the sticks that by default will offset the value the stick sends essentially allowing you to set the what center means for the control surface. It adds an extra offset to the sub-trim you configured. Roughly you want level straight flight with centered sticks - throttle may vary. The DX6 has a bunch of modes for these trim buttons - page 17 - but to start you just want "Common"

Spitfire222

Not a skater
By trim, I assume you mean some preset on the control surfaces of the plane. I don't have a D6 G2 but the principles are pretty universal. I took a look at the DX G2 manual since different terms are used to mean the same thing.

There are three ways to "trim"

1. Physically on the plane - Adjust the control rod length to set the "center" of control surface. Adjust the length of the control horn on the servo and/or the control surface to change how far the control surface moves - the throws. You have to do this if you build a plane. You may need to do this if you have to repair a plane and you might need to make some adjustments to a new pre-made plane out of the box, particularly if it needs assembly.

2. The servo configuration on the TX - You can adjust the servo center (aka sub trim) and max servo throws (aka travel adjust) and servo direction (aka reverse) for each channel electronically on programmable Transmitters. Generally it is easier to make final fine adjustment electronically. If you find you need to make big adjustments, this can work as a temporary fix but it's better to fix the plane..see 1.

Assuming you have a Dx6 G2 see page 28 of this manual for how to change the values https://www.horizonhobby.com/pdf/SPM6700-Manual_EN.pdf .

I don't see why SAFE should prevent you from making adjustments here but I suspect they would be subtle on a plane set up for that.

3. When flying - there are trim buttons next to the sticks that by default will offset the value the stick sends essentially allowing you to set the what center means for the control surface. It adds an extra offset to the sub-trim you configured. Roughly you want level straight flight with centered sticks - throttle may vary. The DX6 has a bunch of modes for these trim buttons - page 17 - but to start you just want "Common"

Second all of this. Excellent explanation! A brief summary of the above process:

1. Make the mechanical linkages and adjust them as best you can to have the control surface at neutral, or zero deflection.
2. Sub-trim on the transmitter as required (especially for ailerons to have matching neutral stops). Ideally, you want to do this as little as possible.
3. When flying, adjust the trim knobs around the sticks to make the plane fly straight and level for a cruise throttle setting.

To accomplish (3):
Get the plane flying in straight and level flight, then briefly release the sticks. Observe which direction the plane drifts. Adjust a trim button a few clicks in the correct direction. Repeat as necessary until the plane doesn't drift when you release the sticks. Do this one channel/control at a time!

JCourtney

If I have the plane on the ground should I be able to see the trim knob buttons on the transmitter actually changing the position of plane parts?

Montiey

Master Tinkerer
Yep. Trim adds a a value on top of the value that your sticks provide to the plane. If you see stuff happen when you move the sticks, then you can see (somewhat less) movement when you trim.

pressalltheknobs

Posted a thousand or more times
If I have the plane on the ground should I be able to see the trim knob buttons on the transmitter actually changing the position of plane parts?

yes if it's all powered up and bound to the current model in your TX, the trim buttons should move the control surfaces. It a small plane (I think) so the movements will not be huge but big enough to see if you are close - so long as you are not moving the sticks at the same time.