How I break stuff... turnigy park 300

Hey guys I obviosly either did something wrong or the tolerences were insane on my turnigy park 300 outrunner. I tried to reverse the shaft and ended up with this 20150616_001639.jpg

Pretty mad right now. I managed to get one flight out of this motor berfore I did this. I just dont like using the prop savers and didn't really have a way to mount the motor on the inside of the fire wall so reversing the shaft seemed logical at the time but that ended poorly. Tried to chat with someone from hobby king and we know how that goes once you open up a motor no warrenty etc..etc..

I removed the c clip seperated the motor used a press and tried pushing from the side that was closest to the prop saver should I have tried pushing the opposite direction?

Timmy P

I just slid the shaft in a Turnigy motor.. I thought I could just loosen the grub screw and it would be free. But it wasnt and I had to learn a bit about "interference fit" Im guessing they use hot and cold to shrink and expand the parts.. What I did was put the motor can and shaft in the freezer.. Then I Heated up the can and tapped on the shaft and it actually slid from one end to the other. It may work on your next motor..

razor02097

Rogue Drone Pilot
I don't know why they bother to give a replacement shaft with the motor as my park300 was exactly the same way. I gave up on reversing mine because I was afraid of breaking it.

OttoPilot

That's impressive. Hopefully it gave you an idea of 'how much force is too much' given that material thickness (to prevent it from happening in the future).

Could they be applying Loctite between the shaft to the bell? Heat alone would help if that was the case.

I'm not sure if they are using any type of liquid in there or not I may try the freezer / heat trick next time. I picked up another one today.

PeterGregory

CrossThread Industries
Turning motors into fashion statements

I came across this thread while dealing with the identical issue with the Turnigy Park250. This motor was destined for my mini scout and mini speedster.

Some of the ideas here in this thread about heating/freezing seam like good ones, and the other offsite reference was a good one.

Here is a thread on RCG that also has a different method.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...p=100&highlight=turnigy+park+250#post31856342

One difference between the park300 and the park250 is that the Turnigy Park250 is such a cheap knockoff of the e-flite Park250 that the shaft only has one groove for the circlip. You are left hanging if you move the shaft with nowhere to retain the major motor pieces with the circlip. I do believe that the circlip may be redundant - without the circlip you may be able to pull the prop/bell housing off your motor when it has no juice running to it, but once the ESC activates you are pretty much not able to pull it off. Likewise, in flight, the electromotive forces are strong enough that the prop/bell housing doesn't just fling away from your plane. I think. Someone can confirm this?

So, my first attempt at moving/removing the shaft ended up in this:

Happy Accident.jpg

Key to Parts Map, above:
A: Jig I made to remove the circlip. These motors can be wiley little guys to hold still while getting that circlip off. I drilled a hole in the center of an approximately 3" x 3" piece of scrap wood. The drill size was close to the diameter of the circular motor shaft supports. I then band-sawed right down the middle, splitting the hole in 2. I made a couple of further cuts with my Dremel mini table saw, as seen in photo.
I hot-glued those two pieces down on another piece of scrap that is about 3/8" thick, just as a support base. Now the motor was more manageable to slip the circlip off with a pair of small needle-nose. Still a bit of a trick, maybe invest in circlip pliers from harbor freight. I have two more motors to practice on!

B: Broken end of shaft

C: Area from whence said broken piece originated. Also note: arrow points to one piece of a two-piece bell housing the motor magnets. This configuration is not normal, or recommended.

D: Part 2 of two-part bell housing rendered as fashion statement. Hoping magnetic field offers some kind of positive physiological effects.

Moral - the Park250 is manufactured pretty cheaply. That makes moving the shaft to take the prop adapter more difficult. But doable. It comes in

The Park300 looks like it is prepped for the prop adapter a little better, with the alternate circlip groove cut into the shaft. This motor comes as 25g, apples to oranges comparison (HK site is inconsistent in data)
1080kv 85W (prop?, voltage?) - 7.4v - 9050 prop - 3.8A - 215g Thrust
1380kv 77W (prop?, voltage?) - no other specific data
1600 KV 85W (prop?, voltage?) 7.4v - 8x4.3 prop - 8.5A - 355g Thrust

For reference, park250
1680 55W - 7.4v - 7035 Prop - 6.4A - 346g Thrust
2050 55w - 7.4v - 7035 Prop - 5.5A - 255g Thrust
2200 50W - no other specific data

Hope this info is helpful,

Poughkeepsie Pete

Last edited: