How is this made?

andrew.scharhag

Hi all. I'm new here! Is this the right location to ask?

I'm curious if anyone knows the manufacturing process for a toy such as this (link below and pics attached). It appears to be an injection mold of some type of plastic foam, but I would love to know more details about how a thing such as this is made and what companies can manufacture a thing like this. I wanted to play around with a few injection mold plan designs of my own. Making it out of this material would be sweet!!

Previously, I was trying to do a 3d printing approach with my own tinkering, but I can't get the structural integrity needed at a light enough weight to make it worthwhile with 3d printing. I think injection foam molding is the best approach but not having luck looking online finding the right terms to describe this type of toy/manufacturing process. Does anyone know what process was used to make this toy?

Thanks!

https://www.hobbylobby.com/Crafts-H...-Planes/Little-Gliderz-Camo-Glider/p/80935408

Attachments

• IMG-6329.jpg
    IMG-6329.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG-6328.jpg
    IMG-6328.jpg
  • IMG-6327.jpg
    IMG-6327.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG-6326.jpg
    IMG-6326.jpg

FlyerInStyle

Elite member
Hi all. I'm new here! Is this the right location to ask?

I'm curious if anyone knows the manufacturing process for a toy such as this (link below and pics attached). It appears to be an injection mold of some type of plastic foam, but I would love to know more details about how a thing such as this is made and what companies can manufacture a thing like this. I wanted to play around with a few injection mold plan designs of my own. Making it out of this material would be sweet!!

Previously, I was trying to do a 3d printing approach with my own tinkering, but I can't get the structural integrity needed at a light enough weight to make it worthwhile with 3d printing. I think injection foam molding is the best approach but not having luck looking online finding the right terms to describe this type of toy/manufacturing process. Does anyone know what process was used to make this toy?

Thanks!

https://www.hobbylobby.com/Crafts-H...-Planes/Little-Gliderz-Camo-Glider/p/80935408
for 3d printing, try lw-pla, itis much lighter than pla, and still just as strong

Aslansmonkey

for 3d printing, try lw-pla, itis much lighter than pla, and still just as strong

It's much lighter, but it's NOT as strong as regular PLA. It's strong enough for making planes with, of course, but, being half full of air, can't be as strong as solid PLA.

OP, your foam glider is likely made from Expanded Polypropylene (EPP). I've no idea if you can buy this stuff yourself, I'm not a chemist, just good at google.

The expanding foam you CAN buy might work, if you have mold release on your molds, but would likely be more brittle than EPP.