How many are building with EPS foam and discussion related to EPS foam construction.

So I have built a few planes with DTF now and have learned to fly fairly well. Now I would like to start looking into building with EPS foam and hot wire cutting of parts. I am liking the idea of easily repeatable, quick construction of planes and think that this may be my next step in build techniques for me.

Anyway I want to open up some discussion related to EPS construction, techniques, setup and related topics. So if you have anything to offer up please do.

The first thing on my mind right now is the power supply for the hot wire. I have seen a few diagrams on the net now and some different setups related there to. I have noticed that some of what I have seen are limited and some just look plain unsafe. I have a considerable amount of school and experience related to electrical systems, design and safety. So I will be designing my own power supply for the hot wire.

So far my plan is to use a 15 amp snap switch, a pilot, a dimmer and a transformer as the main components for the power supply.
I will be mounting it all into an enclosure so everything is neat and clean. The transformer will have both primary and secondary side protection to help make it safe as well as properly sized fuses, conductors and components.

Right now I am looking for a transformer that will fit the bill. I am thinking that I would like to use a 500 VA, 3:1 but have yet to locate one. At those figures it would be able to supply me with up to 40 volts and around 10 amps continuous, not that I would need that much power, but I figure I will not be over taxing the transformer and do not have to worry about being able cut large pieces that way.

Jon L

I have a battery charger that has a 10 amp and a 2 amp setting. On 2 amps with stainless steel fishing leader it cuts foam fine.

rcguy1958

All the supplies and info you'll need to build a good power supply is here http://www.jacobs-online.biz/nichrome_wire.htm.
You'll need to determine the maximum length of the cutting wire before deciding on the amps/volts necessary. They have instructions and diagrams to build a safe, affordable, reliable power supply for any cutting job. If your having trouble figuring out just what you need, an email to them will be replied to quickly.
I have built a few different length bows and have my power supply setup to power my longest bow which is 32". As far s building the bow, keep it simple. All you need is a piece of 3/4" X 1 1/2" pine or oak ( available in the trim section @ H.D. or Loewes )and a 36" piece of 1/4" music wire. Cut the wood to your length, drill a 1/4" hole at each end on a 20 degree angle outwards. Cut your music wire to 14" lengths and grind a groove close to the end with a dremel cutting wheel. Insert the music wire into the holes, groove to the bottom, wrap your cutting wire around the groove in one wire leg, stand it on end and compress the legs like on old style archery bow and wrap the cutting wire in the other groove. Silicone wire with alligator clips to attach to the cutting wire and you're set. I like to use the 28 gauge Rene` wire in my bow as it holds up a long time
2015-04-05 09.24.42.jpg

rcguy1958

Also, the easiest way to cut tapered and elliptical wings is with an automater.
I've attached the instructions I used to build mine.

Attachments

• Building an Automatic Foam Cutter.pdf
    611.2 KB · Views: 47

rcguy1958

Man I wish I could hang onto a train of thought. A couple of more bits of info.
When attaching your power supply wires to your cutting wire, you need to use alligator clips( that's how I do it ) or clamps. It can't be soldered because to cut foam cleanly you're wire temp has to be between 600 and 800 degrees, the same temps that solder melts at.
I tried the radio shack setup, the old battery charger setup....they somewhat work, but nothing like the setup I built from jacob's online. The transformers they sell are designed for this type of use. Also, if you buy your transformer there, buy it with the dimmer switch they sell. Works perfectly.
Foam.
The best foam for being hot wired is EPS ( white, beer cooler foam). It cuts cleanly at reasonable temps and gets a nice hard skin on it after it's cut. For wing cores this is what I'm using. You can use the blue or pink, but the quality of these foams has gone down. There can be outside debris trapped inside it that won't cut with the hot wire and it will drag through the foam as you're cutting leaving grooves and imperfections. This can be overcome during finishing, but who wants the extra work.
Finishing.
All of the foams available to us for hot wiring need protection after assembly. I've tried a number of techniques, from silkspan, brown paper, news paper, coffee filters, fiberglass and epoxy, fiberglass and water based poly urethane, fiberglass and urethane, balsa sheeting and liquid sheeting.
My personal preference is to use fiberglass and w.b.p.u. . On planes under 48" wingspan I use 1/4 oz. cloth, 48" to 60 " I use 1/2" cloth and epoxy, bigger than 60" will require multiple layers of 1/2 oz. cloth ( you could use heavier cloth, but the 1/2 oz. conforms to curves and radius's nicely) and epoxy or sheet with balsa first, then one layer of 1/2 oz. with epoxy.
On smaller planes, you can fill the weave in the cloth with additional coats of w.b.p.u., sanding lightly between coats.48" and up, I like to fill the weave with a mixture of light weight spackle, Durhams rock hard putty, baby powder and water. The baby powder makes it very easy to sand and keeps from clogging the sand paper. Mix equal parts of light weight spackle and durhams , about half a part of baby powder, add water until it's a pasty consistency with no lumps. You want it so you can just rub it on by hand ( in a rubber glove) and try to keep it smooth for less sanding. It's going to feel like it's added a lot of weight initially. Let it dry over night and you'll see it's much lighter once the water has evaporated, and it will get even lighter once you sand most of it off( you don't want to sand through the fiberglass, just until you can barely see the weave). Once you've reached that point, you can mix up another batch, this time with equal parts spackle/durhams/baby powder and mix it a little wetter so it can be brushed. coat the whole plane, let it dry for 24 hours and sand it smooth with first 220 grit, then finish it off with 400 grit. should be glass smooth with a hard finish and be ready for liquid sheeting ( which should need no sanding if it's applied right) or just paint it( on large planes I like the liquid sheeting before paint).
I've subscribed to this thread, so if you've got any questions just post them and I'll try to help.
Bill

Last edited:

HilldaFlyer

I've been building with EPS for a few years now and have reached a reasonable level of proficiency.
You might get some ideas from a recent article on how to build a foam cutting table.

http://flitetest.com/articles/hot-wire-foam-sheet-cutting

As referred to in previous posts, jacob's online is a great resource.

As you probably know, most LiPo chargers come with setting to power hot-wire. Although I have not used my charger for cutting foam, that is a pretty easy way to go, providing resources allow for the expenditure.

Building techniques with EPS are akin to building with Depron or any skin-less foam. These same techniques can be applied to foam reskinned with fiberglass, my favorite building material.

One technique that I found useful was to use tape to make joints.
F_B78xVFP8IU6z4d37uiKKfK_ovEpIpqozShrUJvWiHKwiadmfXxo16PH4VzlEU0wO2vTwSgrAghnm6yeAOm-PTHeJ0zsoS0r_FTVHkZc11Gck9m2CVj7fwUVypZkXQTxlHGLU4

Use tape to hold the two pieced of foam together. Start by applying tape to one piece of foam along the joint. Lay the other piece of foam onto the tape exactly how you want the joint to be and affix the tape. Lay it open so it looks like the Readi-board joint with tape taking the place of the paper skin. Add glue, hold to the shape and remove the tap when you're done.