how to choose a fpv kit

CEW

I have a 250 quadcopter that I want to run fpv on it . I thought i knew what I needed now I don't . I like the sky zone for the 3rd eye camera I also like fatshark head tracking. I don't know if I should run 1.2 or 900mHz or 2.4 and or 5.3ghz . I'm using a 2.4 ghz graupner transmitter

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
2.4 control and 2.4 video don't mix. ever . . . so that's one down.

2.4 control and 1.2 video will, but you'll need to add a 2.4Ghz notch filter inline with your VTX antenna feed to cut out the harmonic that would otherwise scream in the CRX's ears. Doable, so long as you respect that detail.

now of the three remaining, which one? how compact do you want to run?

5.3GHz can use the built-in VRX's in the Skyzone gear, but can be somewhat limited in range and obstacles. when you do have signal, the bandwidth makes the video as pretty as you'll get for analog FPV (and digital will always sport an uncomfortable lag, despite the HD options at the high end). it's also the smallest for VTX and antenna gear, so it's not hard to squeeze it on a small airframe.

1.2GHz and 900MHz, as you move down in frequency, propagation losses drop (range for the same power transmitted increases) and your ability to look around and through obstacles increases. The big downside is your gear and antennas get MUCH larger with decreasing frequency, and anything below 2.4 you'll be tethered to a base station (people have tied a 5.8 VTX to a base station so they can repeat the signal to their goggles wirelessly, but that's a fairly advanced setup)

As for which piece of kit to pick up . . . that's really a blend between personal taste and budget.

razor02097

Rogue Drone Pilot
You can't really go wrong with the 5.8Ghz. It is portable, less expensive, doesn't require any special license, and plays well with all transmitters. It is a small form factor, you can get tiny transmitters for micro models (like the spektrum micro FPV camera) and receivers built right into goggles. The biggest limiting factor is if you plan on flying a lot of non LOS around very dense wooded areas or around buildings...you will get a lot of static and dropouts.

There is 1.3Ghz now that eliminates the harmonic associated with 1.2Ghz. One thing you have to check on is some frequencies require a HAM radio license so you might want to check in to that.

makattack

Winter is coming
Mentor
Just wanted to point out that using 5.8GHz doesn't preclude the need for a ham/amateur license. Yes, if your 5.8GHz VTX is FCC approved, you won't need a license, but those are generally lower power VTX's (25mw or under, I believe) with fixed antennas.

The higher power VTX's and different antennas you can use with those VTX's will require a ham license to operate.

CEW

Wow ok so if I say I want to run quad races in wooded area and parking decks and stay in my control range. I'd probably should stay with 1.3 -1.2 ghz and 900 mhz, where the higher ghz are smaller cleaner video but can be limited to open sky or fields. Is there trade shows or RC shows that I could go to and check out fpv first hand?

ZoomNBoom

Just wanted to point out the skyzone has headtracking too. Im not overly impressed by it, it seems to work with only a gyro, so it doesnt take very long before it starts drifting, but if you dont mind pressing the button to reset orientation once in a while, I guess it does work, and I also suspect its the same problem with fatshark gear. FS/Skyzone, if you are listening, add a magnetometer please.

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Is there trade shows or RC shows that I could go to and check out fpv first hand?

Well there is a big one coming up in early July over in Malverne OH . . .

If you're wanting to race, I'd stick with a 5.8GHz 600mW setup (you will need a license in the US to transmit at that power level). 600mW is plenty of power for most flying within a standard 2.4GHz TX range.

If you're driving a diversity RX (like the ones on the Skyzone), pick up a good omni pair for your transmit and recieve, and a second receive antenna that's directional and the same polarity. The omni will pick up close-in flight from all directions, as you move out or behind obstacles the directional will focus giving you better signal. you'll want to keep your directional antenna pointed at your quad (pan your head to track the noise) or at any known weak spots (like a particularly far cement/rebar pillar) but that pair should give you excellent reception.

As far as head tracking on a race quad . . . why? It sounds like a cool idea(really, I get it. it sounded cool to me too), but on a race quad you REALLLLLLLLY need to fix your perspective and fly from that. Even adding something as simple as a stabilized tilt, you'd need some artificial horizon visible at all times or you'll loose perspective and DRIVE yourself into the ground.

Ask me how I know.

CEW

Ohya the head tracking is for just playing around the house thing. So with the 5.8ghz at 600 or higher mW I should look into ham operator license than right

PhenomPilot

Technically it also depends on antennas and the phase of the moon... Well at least I think antennas db plays a role. Come down to my place and you can check out 5.8 on fatsharks. I am about an hour south.

makattack

Winter is coming
Mentor
Have a look at Alex/ibcrazy's videos. I learned all about fpv from watching his videos and reading his forum posts.

This maybe of interest to you:

Performance test of an FCC part 15 FPV video tran…: https://youtu.be/hKWll526BbU