• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

how to crease the foam?

glommes

Hi, I'm completely new to this, and I decided to give a shot at building the swappable Spitfire foamie.
I plan to cut out the parts myself.
Questions:
How do I go about creasing the foam? Do I actually break the foam and let the paper hold it together?
How do I go about scoring 50% along the red lines? Is there a video that shows how to properly do these things?

Thanks!

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
Have you checked out the build video for the Spit?

The first videos for the swappables also have a few techniques in them.

engineer

I cut out all the parts for the Ft Spit myself, and I just used my knife to cut the top paper for both crease and 50% cut. Beyond that, for the crease, after cutting the paper, I ran my mechanical pencil tip (without lead sticking out) down the crease. I had no trouble creasing anything.

jhitesma

Some guy in the desert
Mentor
I use a cheap utility knife to do the 50% cuts (and most of my cutting in fact since blades are so cheap.) On it's lowest setting resting on top of my favorite steel framing square (which I use to keep my straight cuts straight) it pokes through just enough to cut the paper and just barely cuts into the foam.

Then for creases I just run a popsicle stick on edge over it with a bit of pressure so it just barely breaks through the already cut paper.

For folds and spots where you need to remove foam I go back with a bare utility blade and let the pre-cut paper/foam guide me focus on holding the blade at an angle that lets it cut through almost all the foam.