How to get warps out for good with a heat gun?

mrwhiskers

Ludicrous speed, GO!
I have a Park Scale Models Mini Drake flying boat being built, and since I covered the wings a few months ago (other projects got in the way) they have developed a warp. Now, i know it can be taken out with a heat gun, but will it hold over time?

It will hold for a long time. I have a mini Telemaster that had a lot of twist. I took it out with a heat gun, and it has stayed straight for two years now.

BobK

Banned
A lot of times it depends on the covering, brand quality etc but usually it will work for quite a while.

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
I've found that some of my planes require a yearly reshrinking of the covering which also means checking for wing twist. It may be from the extra dry winter air letting the balsa shrink, but that's only a guess.

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
I built a mini-drake last fall and had the exact same experience with wing warping (I am a slow builder - but weeks not months). As others have mentioned, a slow application of the heat gun pointed at the wrinkles with the wing twisted into the right position took care of the problem. It's still straight now, but sadly hanging there on the wall waiting for better flying weather... Very fun plane though! I got a couple great flights on it last fall.