How to mount electronics on Simple Cub?

kore99

I built my first FliteTest plane over the weekend, and it was a good experience.

One thing I haven't finished is mounting the electronics. The Simple Cub build video at the beginning mentions mounting the ESC under the power pod, and the battery inside a hatch (complete with disclaimers about "depending on your model"), but then at the end he's installing the battery underneath with velcro, and I don't see a hatch up top.

Is there another video to cover this part? Or can someone recommend a suitable layout? Since this power pod is designed to be interchangeable I wanted to follow the standard if it exists. Also I will be installing an FT Aura 5 and will be making sure I can still access it once installed.

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
I built my first FliteTest plane over the weekend, and it was a good experience.

One thing I haven't finished is mounting the electronics. The Simple Cub build video at the beginning mentions mounting the ESC under the power pod, and the battery inside a hatch (complete with disclaimers about "depending on your model"), but then at the end he's installing the battery underneath with velcro, and I don't see a hatch up top.

Is there another video to cover this part? Or can someone recommend a suitable layout? Since this power pod is designed to be interchangeable I wanted to follow the standard if it exists. Also I will be installing an FT Aura 5 and will be making sure I can still access it once installed.

Here's the thing about the power pods:

TECHNICALLY, they're interchangeable. You can theoretically move one from one plane to another, keeping your motor and ESC connected to it, and connecting it up to another receiver and set of servos in the new plane.

In reality, almost nobody does this, because of several things - wear and tear on the power pod, slightly different configurations for how to mount the battery and/or the ESC, where the receiver and servo connectors are being fed to in that specific model - there are quite a few factors working against you.

If you want to use the power pod in other planes, I'll tell you to mount it inside the power pod. That way, you can pull it out, and stick it into another plane without much issue.

That said, this poses a bit of an issue with heat, since the ESC can get hot, especially with no wind/air circulation moving over the ESC, but it generally isn't as much of a problem as you would think for many of these planes. If you're worried about it on the Simple cub, you can cut a hole out in the windshield, which would allow air from the prop and forward motion to carry into the plane itself, helping to move air across the ESC.

Truthfully, however? I think you'll find that you'll want to just build another plane with another set of electronics, and use that method instead.

whackflyer

Master member

I haven't built a cub myself, but I would put the ESC inside the pod and poke a little hole for the wires in the bottom of the pod, then mount the battery on the bottom of the pod.

kore99

Here's the thing about the power pods:
Truthfully, however? I think you'll find that you'll want to just build another plane with another set of electronics, and use that method instead.

Sure, that makes sense. Most of the electronics I'm putting in it are pretty cheap anyway.

if I mount the ESC underneath as described, can I still mount the battery in that cubby underneath? velcro strap directly against the ESC, or would that be a bad idea? I like the idea of not taking the wing off sometimes.

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
Sure, that makes sense. Most of the electronics I'm putting in it are pretty cheap anyway.

if I mount the ESC underneath as described, can I still mount the battery in that cubby underneath? velcro strap directly against the ESC, or would that be a bad idea? I like the idea of not taking the wing off sometimes.

I would run the ESC in the power pod, have the connector for the battery come out towards the front. That way, you can plug in the battery and mount it to the underside of the power pod with Velcro. It helps to keep the weight a little lower and a little more adjustable for CG purposes. If you put the ESC below and try to mount the battery under it, you'll likely find there's not enough room to get the battery in.

KubKade

For my simple scout, I did like @whackflyer said with the esc inside and the battery connector come down in the back and mount my battery with Velcro. I also hooked rubber bands from side to side on the two wooden pegs that go through the front of the fuselage and power pod.