How to Score and Fold

bucket183

I have just discovered FRCFormies designs although I've never scratch built before so I have no idea of the techniques involved. Whilst score and fold seems and easy concept.......a few questions

Score, how deep?
What type of foam ? (what is dollar tree foam)
Where can I source the foam (what type of stores, I live in Saudi Arabia...)
The control surfaces how do I do the hinges?
Are there any links to detailed (really detailed) instructions on the build and techniques used.

I hope someone out there can help me.

RoyBro

Mentor
Maybe I can help with some answers.

Dollar Tree Foam Board is actually Adams Readi-board that is sold at Dollar Tree. Here is a link for bulk purchases. It is described as:

Each board begins with a 3/16" polystyrene foam core, laminated on either side with heavy Kraft paper. Perfect for matting/mounting photos and artwork, sign making, craft projects, presentations, exhibits, displays, and more!

Each foam board is $1 so it is a perfect medium for cheap building. As for a local source, you may be able to find something similar, or try other locally available foam. You should put out a post on local hobby forums asking about local sources of foam.

The score cuts are usually 50% through the foam. That is, unless the "scoring" is actually an indentation when doing a partial fold, like on a wing.

With the Flite Test builds, the control surfaces are actually the paper of the foam board opposite the cut. It is often reinforced with a very thin layer of hot glue.

You should watch the build video, and also the building tips videos put out by Flite Test. That's the best place to see the techniques and each one tends to build on previous videos, because over time, the techniques have incorporated suggestions by viewers.

Hope this helps.

Last edited: