How to transfer plans viewer request

N222NY

Hi guys. I was wondering if you could do an instructional video on how to transfer the free plans from pdf form to the actual foamboard. Specifically how to "scale" the plans to fit. I understand how to trace them and what the different cuts are, but could use some help on how to actually set them up, send them to the printer and lay them out. Thank you so much guys....keep up the excellent work!

JasonEricAnderson

I usually find the page in the plan that has the 6" scale mark and print only that page as a test. Then measure that and see if it's actually 6" on my print out. If it is larger I'll print another one and set the print 'SCALE' option to something a bit smaller than 100% and the opposite if it's too small.

One of the challenges with this is everyone's printers, operating system and even PDF software is different. Below are a few screen shots of various scale/zoom settings in printer windows.

pagescaling-box.jpg

Screen-Shot-2013-04-29-at-11.23.29-AM.png

Again, everyone's hardware/software setup will be a little different but hopefully this will point you in the right direction. If I get to within a 1/16th of an inch I call that dead on. ;)

Last edited:

tw-ryder

Well Grounded
I'm building my first foam board plane too, N22NY. After reading everything I could from FT and others, I thought the 3M 77 glue method of making semi-permanent templates would work best and so far, no complaints. I had a full size print made at Staples for a few bucks, spray the back of the templates after you cut them out, and let them dry. The tacky surface that results can be laid on the foam, traced, and then removed for the next project without disturbing the board. Use wax paper between some sheets of your foam board supply for storage.

I've even thought of going to Michaels to get some heavy clear plastic sheet, so my scissors can follow nicely without biting the template, but I'll wait until I need to build TW Versa 2.0. Have a look at the minwax article, as well as the ExperimentalAirlines channel on YouTube for preservation ideas also, great info and entertaining to boot.

N222NY

Hi guys. Thank you for the great tips! I will play with the numbers and give it a shot and report back....