Howdy

JJNiles

Hi guys and gals,

I'm brand new to RC aircraft. I'm looking at building my first plane, I would like to build a twin boom design like the Sea Duck or a simple P-38 that I can slowly upgrade with more controls over time.

F106DeltaDart

Elite member
Hello JJNiles, and welcome to the forum! I would personally not suggest a twin for your first airplane, best keep the costs low for a first model. Instead, you could build a plane with the same power pack as the Sea Duck, such as the FT Explorer. Then, when you are ready to move up, you can build the new airframe, and re-use your existing power pack, buy the other motor/ESC, and start building! Good luck with your first build and flight experience, and feel free to ask your questions here. And again, Welcome!

captron360

Hi JJ
If you have your heart set on a twin then, then I would go with the Sea Duck. But that's me I happen to love that one. The other one is easier to build/repair but the Duck is easier to fly.
Most folks don't start off with a twin, they would start off with a storch or something like that.
Good luck and have fun. Stick with it and you will learn a lot and in the process have a BLAST !
Happy Landings
Ron

JimCR120

Got Lobstah?
Site Moderator
JJ,
Welcome to the forum! I definitely see the appeal of those aircraft. Since you are new to rc air, I would suggest starting first with something a bit simpler, lighter, and less expensive. Since crashes happen and moreso when first getting into the hobby it is recommended to take certain precautions to keep expense and frustration low.
I learned on something similar to the FT Explorer which is a bit more forgiving in crashes and uses the same motor as the Sea Duck. I still crashed but all the shock of the crash went into the nose, not the motor or prop.
The decision is yours of course.

Also, would you mind introducing yourself a bit to the forum. It's always nice to know more about our members (where they fly, how they got interested in the hobby, etc).
—Jim

flitetest

Administrator
Admin
HEY JJ!
First off definitely want to welcome you to the FT forum from all of us here at FLITE TEST! ;)

Also, I would have to agree with DeltaDart, the Explorer would be a GREAT first build as well as you could easily upgrade later!

Keep us posted and can't wait to see what you end up doing!

Blessings,
Stefan