Howto: Fix hot glue mistakes

jhitesma

Some guy in the desert
Mentor
So when I built my baby blender I had a rocky start. First I accidentally printed the v1 plans instead of the v2 and didn't notice until I went to attached the tail feathers. Then I made a 2nd fuselage with the correct v2 plans only I goofed and glued one side as an A fold and one side as a B fold...doh!

Hmmm...how to fix it.

At the time I decided foam board is cheap I'll just cut a 3rd. Which I did. I then used the glue mistake to test spray paint on the foam board...it actually came out really nice which left me wishing I could unglue the mistake and redo it. I thought about using an iron to soften the glue...but my hobby iron doesn't really go cold enough and I didn't want to take the water out of my house iron, or face the wrath of the wife.

Well, today I found the easy way to fix hot glue mistakes! I just put it outside for an hour or two! Sure enough after about 2 hours of sitting outside (not even in the sun!) I was able to very easily remove the bad glue without damaging the foam or the paper! The glue wasn't liquid...but it had lost it's adhesion so I was able to just pull it off.

Of course this may not be possible in your area. It's 111F outside right now with a predicted high of 120F today, so I figure I may as well make the best of it and find a silver lining to keep my mind of how our AC is destroying my hobby budget :D

I'm guessing a warm oven may do just as well...but well, oven season is over for us so I won't be trying that for awhile :) A car parked in the sun would probably do about the same in many areas. I may try another scrap in my car today...wonder if I could actually get the glue back to liquid that way!

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
Back of the car down while you run in to Walmart for a few minutes on the way to the flying field works too.

Jaxx

Posted a thousand or more times
I use my wife's hair dryer to heat up the mistake. It's not as hot a heat gun, so I can do it without damaging the foam.

pgerts

Old age member
Mentor
A reason I rarely use hotglue or Uhu Por - Don't want to assemble a kit after having the plane in the car a sunny day.........