HUJ-G : 191% (ish) FT Guinea Pig build log

thenated0g

Drinker of coffee, Maker of things
Mentor
Here is a couple questions for you. First why velcro for the winds? Would drilling holes into your brackets for the wing spar be too difficult? You could use 4 sheet metal screws to secure them in. I would be worried the velcro would let loose and the wings would start to slide out. Second set of questions. Are you going to be using the inner ailerons as flaps?

Actually im not using velcro anymore, simply because i couldn't find a way of attachment that i was happy with. I found some small door latches i am going to be using. But velcro would work just fine. There is a lot of friction in the connection between parts. Its aluminum spars sliding inside of an aluminum tube. Its kind of a pain to get apart actually. I dont think the forces are very strong at all that are trying to pull the wings apart. Most of the wind is hitting them straight on and if anything is increasing the pressure against the parts.

For the inner ailerons i am going to first have them all work together like large ailerons. No mix or anything. We have a 950' runway at our club so i have the room to do a long and fast landing/takeoff. If i want to make them flaps i just need to flip one of the servo horns 180 and they will both move in the same direction. I have run the numbers (2000 square inches and 30lbs) and think that it will be fine. Guessing stall is around 30-35mph. Assuming maiden goes well i will add in some mixes for standard flaps or maybe even put all 4 servos in their own channels to add some flaperons.

thenated0g

Mentor
Successful maiden!
Felt a little heavy at 40 pounds, but it flew great. Used the 100% Guinea pig plans cg marks scaled up and that was good. Only issue was i bent the rear landing gear axles.

thenated0g

Mentor
Got the Guinea pig out for its 2nd flight. Went well except towards the end one of the motors came loose.
First one shows me putting it together:

inside view: