HZ Super Cub question

LunarModz

I currently have a HZ champ that i am learning to fly on, however i am starting to notice that the little breeze in my area is enough to agitate that little plane. I dont feel confident enough in myself to make a leap to a 4channel plane yet but am looking for something a bit bigger than the champ so that it can handle more wind.

So my question is, will the transmitter from my champ bind to the super cub? I am aware that the range is diminished with that radio but am really only looking at it to save a few bux while im learning then will upgrade my transmitter and install ailerons later on. Also, does the BNF version of this plane have any other requirements? not sure if it comes with its own battery or not.

jetpackninja

More combat please...
Mentor
It will not bind to your Champ radio. You can find dx4e radios used around from time to time for 25 bucks or so.
I know you are on budget but a Dx6i (can be had used for around $80) or the new Dx6 is what I would recommend if you are committed to the hobby.

LunarModz

the DX6i (which i think is the newer model, but could be wrong) is the radio i will be purchasing to grow with and have seen it for $140. thats a shame that it wont bind though. I guess i will have to keep the champ rolling for a little bit longer until i can save up to get both units at the same time.

Otherwise though, the super cub can handle 10-15 mph winds relatively well?

jetpackninja

More combat please...
Mentor
Not impossible, but a 10-15 is probably the upper range in it's stock configuration. But doable, according to your skill level.
It's a great plane to learn on and if you are willing to do research on mods and do some building it can grow with your experience level.

LunarModz

im not saying that 10-15 is the norm, but i do live in the pasture land of texas so gusts can come and go, but there is usually a small breeze in the evenings. but that breeze can be a bit much for the champ at times....some of the time im spending more time just keeping the plane flying than flying the plane.

But i do like the idea of the different modifications that can be done to this plane, and thats a major reason i am eyeing it. my skills arent anything great right now, as i have really just started hence wanting to stay with 3 channels for a bit longer.

jetpackninja

More combat please...
Mentor
Fly the cub for a while and then get or build yourself a flying wing. Even my smallest flying wing can handle and is fun to fly in a 20mph wind. If you are in a windy place you can fly your wings on days you wouldn't risk your other planes. My favorite for high winds is probably the CrashTestHobby Grim Reaper.