I don't know what to buy

moonpie

hey guys
I'm trying to get into this hobby and the only thing I'm stuck on is what remote to buy. I'm going to start off with planes but i hope to eventually get to multi-rotors and i don't want to waste money on a bunch of remotes. I was looking at the Turnigy 9xr and i was wondering if anyone had the remote and would recommend it. I'm open to all suggestions you all want th give. thanks

eagle4

Hey Moonpie, welcome to the forum and the hobby.

The 9xr is quite a good radio, especially for its expandability, it has the module slot on the back, so if later on you decide you want to do some long range stuff you just need a new module and you're away and running.

bitogre

How technically savvy are you? Do you have an experienced friend to help you? I ask because I question if the Turnigy 9XR is a good radio for some one getting into the hobby by themselves and is not very technically savvy. I have the Taranis which uses the same firmware as the Turnigy 9XR. I am also new to RC planes and a computer programmer. I love my Taranis but I know it would have been difficult for me to learn if it were not for my understanding of computer programming. I am sure some one without that background could learn and use it quite effectively but it could quickly get over whelming (especially when also going into multirotors, good idea to start with planes first).

If you are really against buying more than one remote, the Turnigy 9XR is probably fine. Personally, I recommend that your first radio be a simple DX5e or other non-computerized radio. Keep it simple to start. Less to learn and less to go wrong. You can fly multirotors on the DX5e. And they are cheaper than a Turnigy 9XR with RF module. And when you need the extra functionality of a computerize radio (or a radio with more channels), then would be the time to consider the Turnigy 9XR (or a newer model or even the Taranis).

That is what I did but then the DX5e came with my fist plane (an E-Flite Apprentice S 15e). I flew with that radio for 3 months before upgrading to the Taranis (I have only been flying for 5 months). I still have the DX5e and keep it for use as a buddy box.

That is my 2 cents. Do with it what you will.

Tactical Ex

I started off with a cheap computerized radio and I don't think I will need anything more for a long long time. I bought the FlySky FS-T6 and its great. Lots of options and not too complex. it's a 6 channel and it only cost $60.

ofiesens2

Professional noob
I know a lot of people around here like the Turnigy 9x or 9xr, FrSky Taranis, DX6i, and Orange T-SIX

moonpie

The plane i plan on getting is flite tests ft-22. would i be able to fly that plane with the DX5e since the plane uses elevons?

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
If you are planning on expanding, just go with the 9XR. There are a ton of forum threads dedicated to programming regardless of what radio you decide on, but with some help or a little bit of reading, you can do fine with a much better radio than a base model like the 5e...

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
Besides reversing, that's about all the 5e will do. Not a lot of flexibility there