Help! What Gyro Stabilizer do you use?

What Gyro Stabilizer do you use?

• Total voters

Inq

Elite member
My main point is... not that everyone of these companies should do a Bluetooth or WiFi interface. Yes price point matters. Making changes to an established product matters. The point I was trying to make, I'm surprised someone new hasn't done this to differentiate themselves over the established producers. It is not difficult nor is it expensive. An ESP8266 ($3), a MPU-6050 ($4) some software and you have a WebUI based interface gyroscopic/accelerometer based stabilizer. I know dozens of forum members (on another forum) that could easily put this together as a product.

I could mount this in a plane and totally configure it at home or at the field, even while flying if so desired. I was hoping by asking here that someone would already be doing this and just point me to it. I'm willing to pay $20-$30 for such a unit just so I don't have to use the blinky-light, one button system.

Inq

Elite member
Regarding the HobbyEagle ones, I originally got a V1 that didn’t have throttle pass through. That was a problem because when I set my FlySky receiver to PPM output, it disabled all the PWM output, including the throttle. Since the gyro didn’t have pass-through, there was no way to use PPM, so I had to use an individual wire for each channel from my receiver to gyro. With the V2, it has the pass-through, so with PPM everything is hooked to the gyro and only a single wire is connected to the receiver. That eliminates several wires and also allowed me to put my receiver on an extension and mount it way back in the tail.

I'm glad you mentioned this. I was thinking about next trying the one wire PPM connection. I wouldn't have guessed that the receiver would turn off all the PWM lines. My A3Pro has only the 3 outputs... so it must not be able to pass through the throttle also. Bummer!

Foamforce

I'm glad you mentioned this. I was thinking about next trying the one wire PPM connection. I wouldn't have guessed that the receiver would turn off all the PWM lines. My A3Pro has only the 3 outputs... so it must not be able to pass through the throttle also. Bummer!

Are you using the FlySky receiver too? If you’re not, I think other receivers might not disable the PWM.

JDSnavely

Spectrum with SAFE and AS3X. My DX6 and NX8 have forward programing and this makes maiden flights a little less stressful. I have an Aura Lite but have yet to use it. Maybe this spring.

craigleach

I using the FrSky S6R. They work wonderfully but they are difficult to get setup. The calibration is difficult.

dap35

Elite member
I also use the FrSky SRx (Access) series receivers. They do a good job and I have even programmed them to do an equivalent to the Aura's launch assist with my FrSky X20s running Ethos. I think you could do it with an OpenTX or EdgeTX transmitter if it would work with the SR6 rx.

model14

I have been using the A3 Pro and I am very pleased with the performance. I recently purchased and started using the A3 Pro V2. Performance is the same but setup has been significantly improved over the previous version. I am 82 with Parkinsons and poor eyesight. The flight stabilizer has allowed me to continue flying.

NickRehm

My main point is... not that everyone of these companies should do a Bluetooth or WiFi interface. Yes price point matters. Making changes to an established product matters. The point I was trying to make, I'm surprised someone new hasn't done this to differentiate themselves over the established producers. It is not difficult nor is it expensive. An ESP8266 ($3), a MPU-6050 ($4) some software and you have a WebUI based interface gyroscopic/accelerometer based stabilizer. I know dozens of forum members (on another forum) that could easily put this together as a product.

I could mount this in a plane and totally configure it at home or at the field, even while flying if so desired. I was hoping by asking here that someone would already be doing this and just point me to it. I'm willing to pay $20-$30 for such a unit just so I don't have to use the blinky-light, one button system.
Working on something like this with a couple others for a slightly simpler RC application :)

If it works out well, I'm very interested in pulling it off for full up autopilot

Bricks

Master member
I've watched several videos and that seems to be the avenue that is best at the moment. I just don't happen to have a Spektrum.

The Devs are working on making the TX16s compatible with forward programing with the new Spektrum forward programing receivers, since I have both DX9 and TX16s it will be interesting how the TX16s works.

iwpublic

I use
- no FC/Gyro for cheap/easy-to-fly/super-light weight planes
- Multiplex + N3X Gyro with rate / head-lock functionality for advanced planes, in particular in gusty conditions and knife figure like exercises
- ZOHD Kopilot for expensive or complex custom built planes for safety precautions, e.g. in case I loose orientation or connection, a flick of a switch / failsafe will help to save the plane. This device supports 2-axis stabilization, RTH and Fence only. Therefore it's super small, light weight and supports PWM+S-BUS.

A while ago I also used FPV ready flight controllers like the Leifei SN-L owl for nice OSD readings and cockpit-like FPV flying. These - of course - had all kinds of stabiliser / Gyro functions inbuilt as well.
...until I decided to get rid of FPV

Attachments

• IMG_D38AC7B0D2A5-1.jpeg
    IMG_D38AC7B0D2A5-1.jpeg
    324.3 KB · Views: 0

quorneng

Master member
I use a number of Lemon rxs.
I design and build my own foam scale planes and in most cases have to hand launch as well.
You can only anticipate so much about their flight characteristics or even the CoG position so I tend to use a Lemon stab rx for the maiden and initial flights until I am happy with it. Then change over to a cheap basic Lemon and move the stab one on to the next build.
Some real lightweights keep their stab rx so they can be flown in a bit more than a flat calm. ;)