Help! What Gyro Stabilizer do you use?

What Gyro Stabilizer do you use?

• Total voters

Inq

Elite member
I'm just finishing the FTFC23 Challenge and I want to safely test my planes. I'm a rather beginner pilot. I bought a HobbyEagle A3 Pro years ago and it has never been out of the box. I've unboxed it and started reading about configuring. Is this one-button, multi-blinking-light UI as good as it gets these days? This is a real PITA! :poop: I wonder what 3rd party stabilizers you all use. I'll make a poll also so you can vote even if you don't want to post a reply. I'll start out with the three this company makes and I'll add any as you let me know them.

Oldrover TJ

I've been using the admiral gyros. They are basically a copy of the lemonRx gyros, only readily available in the US. I've got 4 of them. I use them in my SU27, F16, L39 and.... BUSHWACKER! They take a bit of time to get dialed in but I've enjoyed them.

EDIT, the admiral is motion RCs variation of the lemon RC stuff

Reactions: Inq

Foamforce

I like the PITA blinky light method because IMO it’s easier than downloading, installing, and updating software on my PC every time I want to make a change. Secondly, I can make changes in the field. Lastly, I’ll still be able to update it in a few years after the software for all the other gyros stops working on Windows 15.

I’ma computer programmer, so I get my fill of dealing with computer problems at work. 😂

Regarding the HobbyEagle ones, I originally got a V1 that didn’t have throttle pass through. That was a problem because when I set my FlySky receiver to PPM output, it disabled all the PWM output, including the throttle. Since the gyro didn’t have pass-through, there was no way to use PPM, so I had to use an individual wire for each channel from my receiver to gyro. With the V2, it has the pass-through, so with PPM everything is hooked to the gyro and only a single wire is connected to the receiver. That eliminates several wires and also allowed me to put my receiver on an extension and mount it way back in the tail.

Inq

Elite member
I've been using the admiral gyros. They are basically a copy of the lemonRx gyros, only readily available in the US. I've got 4 of them. I use them in my SU27, F16, L39 and.... BUSHWACKER! They take a bit of time to get dialed in but I've enjoyed them.

EDIT, the admiral is motion RCs variation of the lemon RC stuff

Added to the poll above. Thanks.

Inq

Elite member
I like the PITA blinky light method because IMO it’s easier than downloading, installing, and updating software on my PC every time I want to make a change. Secondly, I can make changes in the field. Lastly, I’ll still be able to update it in a few years after the software for all the other gyros stops working on Windows 15.

I’ma computer programmer, so I get my fill of dealing with computer problems at work. 😂

Regarding the HobbyEagle ones, I originally got a V1 that didn’t have throttle pass through. That was a problem because when I set my FlySky receiver to PPM output, it disabled all the PWM output, including the throttle. Since the gyro didn’t have pass-through, there was no way to use PPM, so I had to use an individual wire for each channel from my receiver to gyro. With the V2, it has the pass-through, so with PPM everything is hooked to the gyro and only a single wire is connected to the receiver. That eliminates several wires and also allowed me to put my receiver on an extension and mount it way back in the tail.

I want to try this stabilizer to keep my experimental planes safe(r). I was just floored in this day of smart phones, aps, Bluetooth that an easy to configure UI isn't available? Something that doesn't require me to dig into the model at home or at the field, doesn't require me to have a cheat sheet of blinky colors but could simply present to me with a dashboard of common sense graphics (or words) saying what each function does. It should be near trivial.

Foamforce

It should be near trivial.

It’s not trivial for the manufacturer. Designing and programming UI is a lot harder than you would expect. And then things stop working because the next Windows/iOS/Android upgrade doesn’t support some API that you used, so now you have to re-test every time a new version comes out. That’s all expensive, so that’s why many companies abandon support on their connected devices after only a few years sometimes and also why apps for connected devices crash so much.

As an example, I bought a Hitec X2 charger. It has a nice app that lets you monitor charging from another room and save battery profiles, etc. A few months after I got the charger, the app started crashing and after six months of checking for updates, I gave up on that. Fortunately, I can do everything I need without the app. This is a well respected company on a common platform (iPhone 11). That goes to show how difficult it is to make even a trivial looking app connected device and why I generally avoid them. YMMV!

PS, I’m not trying to argue with you about this, it’s just something that I feel kind of strongly about now, having been burned by a number of app connected devices over the past several years. I think the best UI is a device that has a small GUI built in, like most transmitters. A gyro is just too small for that though.

Bricks

Master member
I want to try this stabilizer to keep my experimental planes safe(r). I was just floored in this day of smart phones, aps, Bluetooth that an easy to configure UI isn't available? Something that doesn't require me to dig into the model at home or at the field, doesn't require me to have a cheat sheet of blinky colors but could simply present to me with a dashboard of common sense graphics (or words) saying what each function does. It should be near trivial.

This is exactly what Spektrum did with their forward programing, everything is done from the transmitter.

L Edge

Master member
Points to remember in buying a gyro:
1) Make sure it handles V-tail, delta and regular.
2) If you are thinking about hovering in the future, make sure you get a "Rate" and "Head Holding" gyro.
3) Gyros only handle servos and you need a Flight Controller if your going to use motors say, to keep it level.
4) Make sure the gyro can be shut off by a switch for if you set the gain too high and flying, your in trouble.
5) As others say above, make sure your equipment can work with that gyro.

PS____Another use for designers:
If you are doing a experimental work, you can purchase gyros that allows you to adjust travel limits (like no up movement , but only move down 1/3 of servo travel). Example: I automated leading edge flaps so when the up pitch is applied(takeoff or landing) of the pilot, the leading edge flaps go down. How much deflection? stop it where you want with the ATV of the gyro. It is independent of the radio and the LEF will not deploy up, only down.
If interested, will do a thread and explain in detail if you want to understand setup.

Also, when exploring the Cl-84 Dynavert, needed to keep the fuse level and change the angle of the wing(hey, change it say to 8 degrees, Ink for the Crusader) used a gyro so the only change was the wing angle. I still used aileron, elevator and differential rudder to fly plane.

L Edge

Master member
This is exactly what Spektrum did with their forward programing, everything is done from the transmitter.

Did you try it? It is a PITA with downloading, making the changes and getting it back uploaded. I think it was like 15-17 videos on U-tube to learn and a lot of practice(wasted a lot of hours). It is only simple once you understand it.
Sequencers were simple compared to that.

Bricks

Master member
Did you try it? It is a PITA with downloading, making the changes and getting it back uploaded. I think it was like 15-17 videos on U-tube to learn and a lot of practice(wasted a lot of hours). It is only simple once you understand it.
Sequencers were simple compared to that.

The newer forward programing receivers are all setup thru the transmitter the older AS3X plane setup initial setup had to be done thru a laptop and when hacking the receiver.

Horizon Insider Tech Talk - Spektrum AR637T Receiver Setup for RC Airplanes (horizonhobby.com)

Inq

Elite member
It’s not trivial for the manufacturer. Designing and programming UI is a lot harder than you would expect. And then things stop working because the next Windows/iOS/Android upgrade doesn’t support some API that you used, so now you have to re-test every time a new version comes out. That’s all expensive, so that’s why many companies abandon support on their connected devices after only a few years sometimes and also why apps for connected devices crash so much.

As an example, I bought a Hitec X2 charger. It has a nice app that lets you monitor charging from another room and save battery profiles, etc. A few months after I got the charger, the app started crashing and after six months of checking for updates, I gave up on that. Fortunately, I can do everything I need without the app. This is a well respected company on a common platform (iPhone 11). That goes to show how difficult it is to make even a trivial looking app connected device and why I generally avoid them. YMMV!

PS, I’m not trying to argue with you about this, it’s just something that I feel kind of strongly about now, having been burned by a number of app connected devices over the past several years. I think the best UI is a device that has a small GUI built in, like most transmitters. A gyro is just too small for that though.

I didn't take it as arguing and I might have overly dismissed some of the complexities without substantiation. But I wasn't basing my statement on what "companies should do", but what I know I am able to do. I'm quite familiar with designing and writing GUI/Server/Analytical/Microcontroller code. After looking at this decision tree on the A3Pro with one button and blinking light, I wouldn't even consider that a solid day's work to recreate with a nice web based GUI that talks to the device in the plane. That is not to say the whole device could be done in a day, but the WiFi base web UI portion could. Actually, now that the library has auto UI generation, I'd say a rudimentary GUI would take only a couple of minutes. Arranging it into logical sections, dressing it up with sliders, buttons, gauges, and histograms might take a day. All the electronics necessary are in my cabinets here. I've even done a self balancing robot, which is basically what this project is... just in all three axes. I'd think it'd be an interesting project and really one I was going to eventually add to my Telemetry thread - https://forum.flitetest.com/index.php?threads/diy-telemetry-and-control.72547/

Inq

Elite member

I've watched several videos and that seems to be the avenue that is best at the moment. I just don't happen to have a Spektrum.

Inq

Elite member
It is independent of the radio and the LEF will not deploy up, only down.
If interested, will do a thread and explain in detail if you want to understand setup.

Oh heck yeah I'm interested.

Edit: I "Followed" you, but I don't think that actually does anything. I don't seem to get notifications of ones I follow. Wherever you put it, can you @Inq me? :sneaky:

Last edited:

Inq

Elite member
Also, when exploring the Cl-84 Dynavert, needed to keep the fuse level and change the angle of the wing(hey, change it say to 8 degrees, Ink for the Crusader) used a gyro so the only change was the wing angle. I still used aileron, elevator and differential rudder to fly plane.

The current F8 Crusader is my EDF trainer and hopefully will stay out of lawn dart mode. Once I get proficient, I do want to do a full blown version with landing gear, flaps and raising wing. I don't think I'd electronically control it. It wasn't back then. In fact the leading edge slats were linked to the wing raising, they and the flaps lowered as the wing raised. It's not quite clear if they were mechanically linked or hydraulically, but they were linked.

I know you brought up the subject of aerodynamically self adjusting leading edge flaps. It never really became clear (to me) your approach. Engineers love pictures. ;)

L Edge

Master member
The newer forward programing receivers are all setup thru the transmitter the older AS3X plane setup initial setup had to be done thru a laptop and when hacking the receiver.

Horizon Insider Tech Talk - Spektrum AR637T Receiver Setup for RC Airplanes (horizonhobby.com)

Interesting, but to do it cost you an additional fortune. New radio, new receiver.
Cheaper to get a gyro that allows you to pick ATV limits and run it independent of the radio.

Noticed the invert segment comment, have you ever taken off inverted from the ground? My plane was called "The other UP"

L Edge

Master member
The current F8 Crusader is my EDF trainer and hopefully will stay out of lawn dart mode. Once I get proficient, I do want to do a full blown version with landing gear, flaps and raising wing. I don't think I'd electronically control it. It wasn't back then. In fact the leading edge slats were linked to the wing raising, they and the flaps lowered as the wing raised. It's not quite clear if they were mechanically linked or hydraulically, but they were linked.

I know you brought up the subject of aerodynamically self adjusting leading edge flaps. It never really became clear (to me) your approach. Engineers love pictures. ;)

Will gather house video on how it works.

An offside story: First time I saw a F8U, I was standing 50 ft from end of duty runway, waiting to give start jet, when my pilot frantically waving his hands(was a pilot go-around) and then pointing to the plane. Looked over and could hear the F8U pouring the coals to it.
Cripe, flying slow, his wing was up and ripping off? and he was lower than the runway (coming in over the bay). Hope, he doesn't crash or do us in.

Short story, he went around and came in fine. Found out from our pilot that he misjudged the runways height from flying over the bay and of course the lifted wing was designed to slow landing speed down) That's why flight crews got dangerous pay.
That was in the early days when it was just came into production.

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
...Is this one-button, multi-blinking-light UI as good as it gets these days?...
If you don't like the one button blinking light menu, Hobby Eagle has a whole line of stabilizers at different price points and features. Just pick the one with the features you want.

I hear you, selecting menu items by how many blinks can be difficult, but it's $30 unit not $80 to $100. It's a solid stabilizer with lot of features and does what is say it does. It works well. For me the cost savings is enough to justify the blinking light menu.