I have a question about pressing out a newly bent shaft on my motor help!

Spence

Hi all, my maiden with the d2822 1450kv 160w turnigy motor didn't go so well, I bent the prop adapter mount, and later found out that my prop shaft is bent. So how should I press it out? I know this is a great how to video right here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1VXFpVKg8I. But, should I like put a socket under the bell as I press out the bent shaft? Also should I press the shaft out towards the back of the bell, or out the front?

Thanks,
Spence

mikemacwillie

They're not always pressed in, some motors have the shafts held in with grub screws. If you try and press out a shaft that is held in with grub screws, you're going to do a fair bit of damage. Check for them first. If they're there, take them out, and then pop out the shaft.

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
Once you have checked for the grub screws and have loosened all of those and the shaft still needs pressing; press it out by supporting as close to the hub as possible and pressing so the shortest amount of shaft is being pressed through the hub. Usually the circlip end is where you want to push the shaft from, if your particular motor has one.

Spence

Thanks guys, so I should place a socket that is closest to the center hub as possible, and then attempt to cut off the bent side of the shaft (the front) and press it out the back? I will make sure the grub screw is removed first. If I do it this way, will I not damage my bell? Or just not cutoff the shaft. And then chuck the new shaft in a drill press, and press it in supporting the bell with a socket? This will be very nerve racking as if I damage the bell, I can't exactly buy another motor at the moment.

Last edited:

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Spence,

I'd be leery of pressing the bent end through the bell -- would hate it if the warped shaft damaged the bell as it is pushed through.

Usually, I have a scrap block of wood with a deep hole slightly bigger than the shaft that I slip over the prop-end and rest against the bell, then fit the block + bell into my vice as a press. Once I've pressed the shaft in flush with the bottom of the bell (if it's still too tight to slip out on it's own) I insert a solid spacer block small enough to slip inside the bell on the other side of the bell, and press it further inward untill the shaft pops out.

Keep everything straight and take your time and the old shaft comes out easy and undamaged. When it's right, it should all happen smoothly.

Spence

I am still one of confused, which end do you want me to put the block of wood on to prevent damage to the bell? Also which end do you want me to press it put of? Could you take a picture of how you want me to lay it out I what a motor bell on a shaft? I am a visual person sorry

mikemacwillie

It depends where it's bent. You just need to apply pressure from the end that isn't bent, and support the bell on the other side, pushing the straight end of the shaft through the bell.

Spence

Well guys, the spec of my old motor shaft says it 3.17mm, really when its about 3.14mm, I ordered a 3.17mm shaft, should that work? . Which end of the bell should I pick? I mean the shaft is bent on the propeller side. 2014-11-18 15.35.21.jpg Like could I put a long enough socket on either side that hugs the center hub as close as possible, and then press it out with the drill press out the front?

mikemacwillie

Yep. Make sure you remove those grub screws first. Support the end with the grub screws, and press it from the other end (The end with the E-clip).

Spence

so should I put like a socket that is longer than the bell and shaft, and make certain that it is closest to the center hub as possible? and then press it out with a drill press? Also will that shaft fit my motor?

Spence

Also, is this the proper way to remove the motor shaft? Because I really do not repeat do not want to buy another motor

mikemacwillie

Yeah, that shaft is the same diameter as the one that's in your motor. As long as the length is correct, it will fit. The rest is pretty simple. Just support the bell(The socket will work), and push the shaft through.

Spence

well do I want to find a socket that fits as close to the hub as possible? or even the little raised extrusion on the motor bell and drill a hole that is big enough for it, and put that while end of the motor in a block of wood? would that be safer? the shaft is slightly longer which is good, I can cut it to length

Spence

I already saw this video, its just that I really don't want to mess up the bell of this motor, so I want to do it right.

Maingear

Flugzeug Liebhaber
I think you're over-thinking this. Here's a youtube video showing one method:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1VXFpVKg8I

Thank you for posting the video!

I just ordered 8 shafts, all my motors are bent, except one.

What kind of oil should I use when I tare them down? Will the phosphate ester in synthetic oil degrade the lacquer coating on the copper wires? (on certified aircraft we typically use synthetic on turbines and petroleum oil on reciprocating engines)

Any diseases I should be looking for (while I'm looking at the innards) before I sign the log book off? ;)

Justin

mikemacwillie

I think you're over-thinking this.

What kind of oil should I use when I tare them down? Will the phosphate ester in synthetic oil degrade the lacquer coating on the copper wires? (on certified aircraft we typically use synthetic on turbines and petroleum oil on reciprocating engines)

Any diseases I should be looking for (while I'm looking at the innards) before I sign the log book off? ;)

Justin

Haha, well played. :D

In all seriousness, there's nothing that really needs oiling. The bearings are packed with grease and shielded or sealed, which you probably already know anyways. People tend to oil them and wash out the grease.