i have a bunch of questions

f-35lover

hi, I assembled my first plane the ft scout but I have run into some problems... you see my prop adapter is a collet style adapter but I have no idea on how it should work! do I have to glue the collet to the motor shaft? the adapter came with the motor. the motor is a HBJ 2200kv brushless motor. my second question is can a 2200kv motor swing a 10x4.5 slow prop? and my third question is do I have to power my receiver with a battery or does it use the power from the main battery? and my forth is can a plane use only the rudder and elevator to fly? my dad who studied aerospace engineering told me that it would take a long time to turn if I used the 3channal setup. and do I need wheels? at my local hobby shop a 2.75 wheel costs about 20bucks! can I just make my own wheels out of foam board ? and can I just use servo extentions with out a buckle could I just tape them or glue it? my apologies if these questions are a bit long, answers would really help out. thanks!

Mr NCT

Site Moderator
Questions are good.
1) Put the prop on the collet, slide it on the shaft and then tighten the front. It'll squeeze the collet on the shaft.
2) Need to know more about the motor. I used a 9" prop on my scout
3) It uses power from the esc (throttle) cable
4) Lots of rc planes use elevator & rudder only but I haven't tried it on my scout
5) Wheels will save your prop - foam board is fine
6) Tape works fine on servo extensions

Hope that helps

Tench745

Master member
Hello F-35lover. Mr NCT has answered most of your questions, but I'll add my opinion on a couple.

Based on your prop size, I assume this is the FT Simple Scout.
I have the smaller Mini Scout and fly it as a belly-lander (no wheels) with no issues. In my opinion, landing gear is a matter of taste. If you like doing touch and goes or don't like hand launching, you'll want wheels. Foamboard wheels work ok, but store-bought ones tend to last longer and you can always switch them to your next build when the Scout gets too beat up to fly. $20 for a pair of wheels sounds awfully expensive. The FT store has a pair for only $6 (plus shipping).
The Mini Scout is a 3 channel plane and flies just fine with rudder and elevator. I believe the Simple Scout will fly similarly as a 3 ch.
I always tape my servo extensions with some clear packing tape to hold them together and have never had one pull out on me.

f-35lover

Questions are good.
1) Put the prop on the collet, slide it on the shaft and then tighten the front. It'll squeeze the collet on the shaft.
2) Need to know more about the motor. I used a 9" prop on my scout
3) It uses power from the esc (throttle) cable
4) Lots of rc planes use elevator & rudder only but I haven't tried it on my scout
5) Wheels will save your prop - foam board is fine
6) Tape works fine on servo extensions

Hope that helps
are there any videos about the collet ? I tried it as you said but the collet keeps sliding out...

f-35lover

I have some pics, they are loss not tight I tightend the spinner but the collet keeps sl8dong out.
20230408_083423.jpg
20230408_083321.jpg
20230327_151707.jpg

Attachments

• 20230408_083321.jpg
    20230408_083321.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230408_083345.jpg
    20230408_083345.jpg
  • 20230408_083353.jpg
    20230408_083353.jpg
  • 20230408_083423.jpg
    20230408_083423.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0

Tench745

Master member
The collet prop adapter works just like a collet chuck on a Dremel tool or in a tap-holder. Tighten the nut down, use pliers or a piece of wire through the hole in the spinner nut to get it good and tight. If the collet came with the motor, it should be the right size. Based on what I see in your pictures it is not at all tight. When tight, the collar should end up almost flush with the back edge of the four bits of metal on the adapter.

Aslansmonkey

Sometimes those collets are not drilled properly or have a burr or obstructions inside them preventing them from closing properly.

From the photos you appear to be building the ft simple scout, not the mini. Yet you have a 6" prop, which is too small for the larger simple scout, and likely not thick enough to press the collet closed.

You'll need at least an 8" prop for the regular scout. The 6" prop is fine for the mini scout, however.

It will take longer to turn with a three channel set up, but not a LOT longer. In some ways the set up may be better for beginners. I still have a few 3 channel planes. That said...once you add ailerons...You'll love them.

You don't need landing gear to fly but depending on your landing site, you will eventually cause some damage to the belly. Probably not that fast though. Just remember to cut power when close to the ground.

On my first few planes I made wheels out of those pool noodles with an insert in the middle. You can make a lot of wheels out of one pool noodle.

f-35lover

I am going to purchase a batt charger do i need to buy a discharger as well? what does a discharger do? can't I just use all the voltage while flying?

Aslansmonkey

I am going to purchase a batt charger do i need to buy a discharger as well? what does a discharger do? can't I just use all the voltage while flying?
Lipo batteries need to be stored with a PARTIAL (neither full or empty) charge. About 30 to 50 percent. NEVER fully discharge a lipo. You'll ruin it.

More important than a discharger is a way of measuring remaining voltage. You can discharge it in your plane, after all.

Lipo dischargers are only 14 bucks for 2 on Amazon, however. Voltage checkers are 10 bucks.

f-35lover

Lipo batteries need to be stored with a PARTIAL (neither full or empty) charge. About 30 to 50 percent. NEVER fully discharge a lipo. You'll ruin it.

More important than a discharger is a way of measuring remaining voltage. You can discharge it in your plane, after all.

Lipo dischargers are only 14 bucks for 2 on Amazon, however. Voltage checkers are 10 bucks.
so from what i know the voltage checker will show the voltage in volts how many volts should i have during storage my battery is a 3c 2200mah lipo.

f-35lover

so does it mean that for example i use a fully charged battery and then use up 80percent i should check the voltage and if it is inapproprate for storage i should charge it until the voltage is ok for storage. right?

Aslansmonkey

so from what i know the voltage checker will show the voltage in volts how many volts should i have during storage my battery is a 3c 2200mah lipo.
Voltage checkers will also show percentage of total charge, which is more telling. And they can show voltage PER CELL, so you can see if one cell of your Lipo is bad (which usually means it's time to toss it).

Lipos are 3.2 - 4.2v per cell, so a 3c (cell) battery will be about 11 volts.

But DO read the article Tench745 linked. You don't need to be afraid of Lipos, but you should take the time to learn something about them.
Oh, and if no one mentioned this, get a Lipo bag to store them in. Again they're not that expensive, just $12 for two on Amazon, but they can help prevent the spreading of fires should something happen. We charge our Lipos IN these bags (We also store them in these bags) by a door to the outside. Worst case scenario we can easily toss them and the bag outside. This may never happen, but better to be safe than sorry.

FlyerInStyle

Elite member
nice reccommendation, the b6 or b3 seem to be really good chargers. I personally use a ISDT q6 with a power supply custom soldered with an xt60 on the end. Also really worth it

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
Regarding prop collets, they are shaft size specific. A collet made for 1/8 inch shaft (3.12mm) will not work on a 3 mm shaft. Nor will a 3 mm collet work on a 1/8 inch shaft.

I know I can't tell the difference between 3 mm & 1/8 inch (3.12mm) by looking.

Tench745

Master member
Regarding prop collets, they are shaft size specific. A collet made for 1/8 inch shaft (3.12mm) will not work on a 3 mm shaft. Nor will a 3 mm collet work on a 1/8 inch shaft.

I know I can't tell the difference between 3 mm & 1/8 inch (3.12mm) by looking.
They said the collet came with the motor, so I assumed it would be the right size. You're right to point out that if it is mis-matched it won't work.

f-35lover

well thanks everybody fixed the prop problem!! but ran into another.... you see my planned setup up was using a 2200kv brushless, 2200mah 3c batt, and a 30a predator esc. but i can't use the 30a esc. 😥 are there any other not 30a esc i could use? 20a?