If I Was Starting Over

Bricks

Master member
Not sure if anyone here is already using ExpressLRS as there protocol, would like your input.

I would seriously consider ExpressLRS for my main protocol, granted it is still in it`s infancy but I feel it is going to be a huge part of the market and very reasonable prices for the equipment. ExpressLRS is an open source for software the receivers have WiFi capability, you can set up a binding password so it will automatically bind no more buttons or plugs to put into a receiver. With WiFi if you want it will automatically self update when new software is available.

Since software is open source manufactures only build the hardware so no cost to them for programmers The range right out of the box is phenomenal even with the tiny ceramic antennas that can be used in drones. Radiomaster and a few others are coming out with receivers for winged aircraft, is this where the future is going?

What are your thoughts on this new protocol?

RossFPV

I have heard it has some crazy range but my flysky fs-i6 has enough for me and i do not want to switch yet.

XSrcing

Creator of smoking holes
I just found out that the Flysky i6x can be updated to OpenTX with full ExpressLRS support thanks to some guys on RC groups. I was looking at upgrading radios, but that really gives me everything I was looking for, and then some.

After being a curmudgeon and not wanting to get the new stuff, once I started dabbling with it I was hooked.

danskis

Master member
This doesn't really answer your question, eh. Yep - I fly line of sight when I can see the plane so I don't need more range. That said trying to guess what protocol is the next best thing is slightly less than a shot in the dark. FrSky had a good thing going and it was very popular. They've messed it up so much now I wouldn't recommend them. Jumper had a good thing going but now their newest radio the 12 channel MK 2 doesn't even have built in multi-protocol. What's with that. You go to find a module for the back and there are very limited choices.

My preferences in order are: Fly, Build, Program with the last a long way back.

I believe there are "stable" brands out there but I haven't used them.

I did love my Flysky Fs IA6B radio - tempted to get another now that you can load openTX

XSrcing

Creator of smoking holes
This doesn't really answer your question, eh. Yep - I fly line of sight when I can see the plane so I don't need more range. That said trying to guess what protocol is the next best thing is slightly less than a shot in the dark. FrSky had a good thing going and it was very popular. They've messed it up so much now I wouldn't recommend them. Jumper had a good thing going but now their newest radio the 12 channel MK 2 doesn't even have built in multi-protocol. What's with that. You go to find a module for the back and there are very limited choices.

My preferences in order are: Fly, Build, Program with the last a long way back.

I believe there are "stable" brands out there but I haven't used them.

I did love my Flysky Fs IA6B radio - tempted to get another now that you can load openTX

I am ordering another i6x just to get openTX on. So we if/when I brick it I still have my flying radio.

Ryan O.

Out of Foam Board!
Not sure if anyone here is already using ExpressLRS as there protocol, would like your input.

I would seriously consider ExpressLRS for my main protocol, granted it is still in it`s infancy but I feel it is going to be a huge part of the market and very reasonable prices for the equipment. ExpressLRS is an open source for software the receivers have WiFi capability, you can set up a binding password so it will automatically bind no more buttons or plugs to put into a receiver. With WiFi if you want it will automatically self update when new software is available.

Since software is open source manufactures only build the hardware so no cost to them for programmers The range right out of the box is phenomenal even with the tiny ceramic antennas that can be used in drones. Radiomaster and a few others are coming out with receivers for winged aircraft, is this where the future is going?

What are your thoughts on this new protocol?
I don’t currently use it but I plan to try it out for my quad and some fixed wings. Certain things like some channels being only dual mode and the software update and binding process require a little more computer knowledge than Spektrum, but it’s not too hard to learn in a world with Joshua Bardwell. I do believe there is a way to make all the channels full range with some programming as well. I wonder if 1w elrs modules will become a problem at Flite Fest as they’re transmitting at a much higher power than most legacy 2.4 systems and the elrs protocol is designed for quadcopters which need range and don’t fly more than 8 at a time. Just some speculation.

LitterBug

Techno Nut
I have been watching ExpressLRS since it started, but have not played with it. When my X9D+ died, I replaced it with a RadioMaster TX16S. It would be super easy for me to play with it now, but I have not had much hobby time this year.

LB

Bricks

Master member
You do not have to go full 1 Watt and to go full 1Watt you need to go to the 900mhz, that is where you are limited to number of flyers not the 2.4 which 500mw with range of 30 miles. 2.4 is adjustable as far as power output. It is not an issue with other flyers like the 900 is.

Binding is super simple once set up as you set up a password and once set no buttons nothing turn on your transmitter and it will automatically bind to a new receiver.

Updating receivers again is super simple as each receiver has built in Wi-Fi , you can choose that when the receiver is turned on it can check for updates when in range of a Wi-Fi signal. Plug in your receiver let it sit for 60 seconds and it will automatically search for a Wi-Fi connection and update on its own if you so choose.

RadioMaster has PWM receivers for planes already but only six channels as of now I believe this is going to grow big time and be cheap for hardware, no programmers to hire.

Like I said if I was just starting out, I would be all in, I have a couple of quads I am switching over, as I am a big Spektrum DX9 guy with a RadioMaster TS16s, my DX9 and Spektrum will never leave me.

Bricks

Master member
uhhhhm, 900mhz is still spread spectrum channel hopping and allows for multiple flyers.....

Yes but when more then 8 pilots are in the air in close vicinity it can cause issues because the 900mhz band is so narrow not like 2.4

LitterBug

Techno Nut
I would put that more on the intended purpose / optimization of Express LRS which is low latency and long range. It is not optimized for large numbers of pilots.

tamuct01

I've been watching Express LRS for a while now, but as an airplane guy, I can't make the jump yet. There are now just starting to be some receivers with PWM servo outputs built-in, but they are very limited. I'm also disappointed that the ExpressLRS receivers output a different serial protocol (CRSF) than the now default and well-understood SBUS. if they had stuck with SBUS, I have several SBUS to PWM converters that would be useful. I see a few people trying to build their own CRSF to PWM, but they are pretty limited as well. I saw that Radiomaster just released a trio of ELRS modules. I might put one on my Christmas list.

XSrcing

Creator of smoking holes
Instead of asking for receivers with PWM outputs, I would be asking for smaller flight controllers with built in receivers.

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Instead of asking for receivers with PWM outputs, I would be asking for smaller flight controllers with built in receivers.
Hmmmm. Only if the RX supports multiple protocols. Don't want to get locked in/out of a FC because they picked the RX my radio didn't support.

LB

Bricks

Master member

They already have them but not for ERLs ( not yet ) Tiny Woops many of the small planes come with the receiver built into the board.

I see this as an up and coming protocol with as many that like OT this is right up there alley, like DJI digital video look at how that has taken off even with the cost of FPV transmitters and cameras, the clarity over analog is pretty astounding.

XSrcing

Creator of smoking holes
They already have them but not for ERLs ( not yet ) Tiny Woops many of the small planes come with the receiver built into the board.

I see this as an up and coming protocol with as many that like OT this is right up there alley, like DJI digital video look at how that has taken off even with the cost of FPV transmitters and cameras, the clarity over analog is pretty astounding.

The Matek F405-WTE has a built in ELRS receiver.

http://www.mateksys.com/?portfolio=f405-wte