Cpl Goertz

Hi guys,
I have been flying RC planes for a little over a year and want to get into 3d airplanes. I have flown the hobby zone champ, FT freighter, FT sea otter, and FT Commuter. Now I want to step up to a 3D Plane specifically the Eflite Yak 54 3d. I'm not sure if this is good for a beginner 3D plane, but I don't want to break the bank. If you guys have any other recommendations for under $150 I'll take them into consideration. If the Eflite Yak 54 3d, however, is a good 3D trainer please let me know. All help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

OliverW

Legendary member
Hi guys,
I have been flying RC planes for a little over a year and want to get into 3d airplanes. I have flown the hobby zone champ, FT freighter, FT sea otter, and FT Commuter. Now I want to step up to a 3D Plane specifically the Eflite Yak 54 3d. I'm not sure if this is good for a beginner 3D plane, but I don't want to break the bank. If you guys have any other recommendations for under $150 I'll take them into consideration. If the Eflite Yak 54 3d, however, is a good 3D trainer please let me know. All help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
I would not buy it. It has really thin construction which causes it break if you look at it. I recommend bigger profile foamies in the 30"-39" wingspan. Checkout Twisted hobbies, Northwest RC, and West Michigan Park Flyers for them

TooJung2Die

Master member
Thanks for the quick response, I appreciate it. Is there a specific plane you had in mind?
The very first 3D I ever flew was a friend's Xtra Vector "Chaos"
I thought he's crazy letting me fly it. I never flew a 3D and I'm a so-so pilot. I was immediately hooked. So easy to fly slow but it also responds very fast when you want it. He's not a great pilot either so he's bashed it good several times. A little foam glue and it's back in the air. I've cut out a few 3D foamies for myself but I'll fly the Xtra Vector every chance he lets me. :)(y)

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
I like both the FT3D & the Edge, both great planes. The FT3D is far easier to build and repair. I used it to cut my 3D teeth. Now that I have a bit more skill I will soon move to the Edge, just looks better.