iPhone to Tx Mount for Video

JohnRambozo

Posted a thousand or more times
I've taken some pretty bad video of my flights by holding a transmitter in one hand and my phone in the other, so I got the idea to use FT materials to mount my phone to my transmitter so that I can concentrate on flying (mostly).

The goal is to make it tall enough that the screen can be seen for framing the shot without having to hold the transmitter in an uncomfortable or awkward manner. It needs to be rigid enough to keep from bouncing or swaying too much and should be easy to remove.

Here's a preliminary sketch on paper. After writing the description I can already think of some changes that will need to be made.

txmount.jpg

So I didn't use anything I sketched. I started to do the 4 point thing then realized a 4 SIDED object is much more rigid. That's right! I made a box tube and it even telescopes a bit. Have a look at the step by step.

The box tube is cut much like an FT fuse with alternating A and B folds. Its really strong!

MJy1Nw5.png
iUs8dqw.png
hBxMK6V.png

I miscalculated the size for the insert / telescoping section but I got it.. I like the accidental I-Beam shape. It works very well and fits snugly enough to stay put when I adjust the height.

bray9Ha.png
TYn7cpg.png
tzko4UY.png

The phone mount is just 2 pieces of foam board glued together with a close fitting phone shape cutout. Notice the bevel along the bottom:

OP9kTb8.png

I just glued it to the top/front edge of the Ibeam with plenty of glue.

WY6Ahmb.png
jUORkTx.png

For the base that fits around the Tx, I wanted it to be removable. This is where the elegance fell by the wayside and I just started gluing pieces together until the area was filled up and sturdy enough to do the job. I don't think there's any practical way to explain how this was done. I just started adding pieces until I had something that interlocked around the Tx. Here is the two pieces apart and fit together:

TEAA8Qd.png
W8FZ2fl.png
HtreiYy.png

It actually fits pretty nicely on my Spektrum DX5e. I recommend you make some kind of box shape. The more edges you can get glued down, the better. Then cut slits to slide in the connecting pieces. I will need to add popsicle sticks to reinforce, but it actually holds and the little bit of sway acts as a kind of damper so it doesn't bounce.

3xL1cb0.png

You'll notice I added a vertical support behind the phone mount to give it more strength. It sits right at eye level with a nice angle upward when holding my Tx at my usual position. I'll be posting videos soon. Lets hope my evening of hard work pays off in youtube royalties.

hRDkwrN.png

Last edited:

JohnRambozo

How about a camera on your hat? When I'm capturing my flights, the only thing I need to do is look at my model, which is what I'm doing anyway when I fly XD

That's a good idea, too, except I'd have to buy a hat. I guess I could make a hat out of foam board and hot glue. I honestly do not own a single hat.

stay-fun

Helicopter addict
I guess I could make a hat out of foam board and hot glue.

If you do, make sure you post pictures of it here so we can all have a good laugh :p

Well it's up to you man, hats aren't that expensive and it's definitely a lot easier. I'm sure you can make a foam phone rig on it as well :)

JohnRambozo

If you do, make sure you post pictures of it here so we can all have a good laugh :p

Well it's up to you man, hats aren't that expensive and it's definitely a lot easier. I'm sure you can make a foam phone rig on it as well :)

I could make a foam head mount that looks like a lighthouse. In New England nobody would even notice.

Updated first post with start to finish photos. Feel free to ask questions if something doesn't make sense.

Last edited:

JohnRambozo

It just occurred to me that I should have used the same tube/ibeam design for the interlocking parts on the base. They're very strong and fit well. I'll redesign the base. That way, not only will it be strong, it will also be reproducable.

JohnRambozo

I haven't redesigned the base yet - for 2 reasons. The mishmash I made works fine and this thread seems to have died.

Anyway, here's the first video taken using the iPeriscope Tx Mount flying the nnBucker Bu 180. To get the video you see here was really intuitive. I couldn't see the screen because it was so bright outside. I just need to remember to angle down a bit.. not much.. as the plane gets some distance. Next outing should be more lucrative, but I'd say its not a bad result at all.

Check out those related videos too! (nerdnic) :)

Last edited:

jayz 84

Nice job there johnrambozo. It worked out pretty well for you. I think im still going to mount a old galaxy S2 phone to my hat. Dont get me wrong i like your idea but i couldent get myself to fallow my plane like that with the controller with how fast i fly. Great vid tho man nicely done

JohnRambozo

Nice job there johnrambozo. It worked out pretty well for you. I think im still going to mount a old galaxy S2 phone to my hat. Dont get me wrong i like your idea but i couldent get myself to fallow my plane like that with the controller with how fast i fly. Great vid tho man nicely done

Thanks jayz. I would not say great, but getting there.

I will agree, its not for everyone. And its probably not the best choice for you 80+mph people. But if you have no hat and nobody to film for you, its a workable option. I was not doing so much following the plane as I was trying to fly where I thought the plane would be seen, except on the fly bys.

I think I'm going to add a pointer / aiming device to help me track the plane with a little more accuracy to keep me aware of the direction of the camera relative to the plane.

Last edited:

jayz 84

Keep it up man i would like to see what you come up with and like you i spend most of my time flying alone

RoyBro

Mentor
You can buy a ball cap from Amazon for around $5.50 delivered. You can use foam board to make a mount that angles the iPhone on top of the brim so that the camera is pointing wherever you are looking.

I have a similar set up on a ball cap, but I am using a Countour Roam 2 camera with a ballcap mount on the side. But I've gotten some pretty good video just by looking. Of course, I don't get to look through a display, but you weren't able to either do to the brightness of the daylight.

ballcapmount (Mobile).jpg

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
I haven't redesigned the base yet - for 2 reasons. The mishmash I made works fine and this thread seems to have died.

Anyway, here's the first video taken using the iPeriscope Tx Mount flying the nnBucker Bu 180. To get the video you see here was really intuitive. I couldn't see the screen because it was so bright outside. I just need to remember to angle down a bit.. not much.. as the plane gets some distance. Next outing should be more lucrative, but I'd say its not a bad result at all.

Check out those related videos too! (nerdnic) :)

This seems to work pretty good. It's a lot smoother than I was expecting. Thia is definitely a viable option for self filming!

I love the related vids, haha. It looks like all my YouTube tags are working!

JohnRambozo

Latest video with the iPeriscope. Getting better with the angle. I still couldn't see the screen because of glare. I used the rear support to aim with, sort of. I mostly just keep my body facing the plane and remember to drop the angle ever so slightly as the plane gets away.

jayz 84

The vid came out really good this time johnrambozo the iPeriscope is really working well for you