is anyone here familiar with the JJRC H36 quad and its variants?

Marzipan

I am trying to find out whether the base H36 quad has the tilt / swivel for the rotors like the variant in the H36S (kit with the quad and a hovercraft frame and flying wing frame) and H36F (the quad and just hovercraft frame). because if it does, I can order a base and the H36S and my grandson and I can fly at the same time.

the review videos don't mention or show this function for the H36, nor does the manual say anything or the product page indicate tilting rotors.

base H36 quad:
https://www.jjrc.com/goodshow/h36-plam-sized-mini-drone.html

H36S hovercraft / flying wing:
https://www.jjrc.com/goodshow/h36s-3-in-1-water-ground-air-transformable-drone.html

H36F hovercraft only:
https://www.jjrc.com/goodshow/h36f-vehicle-x-drone-x-boat-3-in-1.html

Marzipan

I'm gonna guess that few to nobody on FTF know anything about the JJRC H36 series simply because the budget drone space is so congested with a bazillion options.

I will admit that it's nice to see JJRC and Eachine stand out from all the other brands. I think they have accomplished this feat by offering good platform support with easy to access info on repairs and accessing replacements parts. parts that you're not guessing is right, but know are right because they say so.

I did email JJRC before posting this...but it took them a week to answer a question I sent them last week and still no response from a question I sent them on Tuesday, so I will have to exercise patience and twiddle my thumbs if nobody here has any thoughts. :)

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
This could be a good starting Whoop level quad for a young pilot if you are asking for your grandson mate. From the review I just watched it seems pretty stable. The remote is toy class and super small. If you do get it think about getting extra batteries as NO quad flys for super long times like fixed wing. Most range form a minute and a half to 10 ish depending on how aggressive you fly. Expect low numbers with a wound up child mashing the sticks. Also keep in mind these level of quads use cheap as chips parts and one of the big issues with them are the battery connectors and their ability to pass current good. They are also super tiny and tend to be the second thing to wear out or break on a quad like this. also keep in mind these things are super tiny and can get out of visual range quickly so supervision is a necessity for a while at least.

It is similar to the Eachine 010 and they do well too for that class quad.

All in all it should be a decent investment to test the waters with your grandson to see if it holds his interest and if he is coordinated enough to fly (not sure age so just guessing)

Marzipan

This could be a good starting Whoop level quad for a young pilot if you are asking for your grandson mate. From the review I just watched it seems pretty stable. The remote is toy class and super small. If you do get it think about getting extra batteries as NO quad flys for super long times like fixed wing. Most range form a minute and a half to 10 ish depending on how aggressive you fly. Expect low numbers with a wound up child mashing the sticks. Also keep in mind these level of quads use cheap as chips parts and one of the big issues with them are the battery connectors and their ability to pass current good. They are also super tiny and tend to be the second thing to wear out or break on a quad like this. also keep in mind these things are super tiny and can get out of visual range quickly so supervision is a necessity for a while at least.

It is similar to the Eachine 010 and they do well too for that class quad.

All in all it should be a decent investment to test the waters with your grandson to see if it holds his interest and if he is coordinated enough to fly (not sure age so just guessing)

well...I really want the fixed wing quad! totally love the VTOL concept for it! be nice to get a second H36 if the rotor can tilt as then my grandson can try out the hovercraft frame. we're not 10 minutes from the ocean where there are some simple tide pools we could actually try it on.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
well...I really want the fixed wing quad! totally love the VTOL concept for it! be nice to get a second H36 if the rotor can tilt as then my grandson can try out the hovercraft frame. we're not 10 minutes from the ocean where there are some simple tide pools we could actually try it on.

This is Flite test get what ya want and mod it to suit your ideas and needs. You asked for an opinion and I went out and looked to form one.. best I can do for ya mate. Just be sure to document the journey and share it with us good bad or ugly.

these are what I fly..

Last edited:

Marzipan

This is Flite test get what ya want and mod it to suit your ideas and needs. You asked for an opinion and I went out and looked to form one.. best I can do for ya mate. Just be sure to document the journey and share it with us good bad or ugly.

these are what I fly..

I wasn't criticizing your opinion...I was elaborating on your comment about how cool quad wings are as I think the same :)

JasonK

Participation Award Recipient
on the VTOL thing - I wouldn't suggest an actual VTOL for a beginner as it means being able to fly both a multirotor/helicoper and a fixed wing, but in a craft that isn't as good at doing either of them as a dedicated craft. About the only VTOL that I would expect a beginner to be able to fly, would be something with basically a full auto-pilot and your just telling it which way you want it to go. [not sure if anything like that exists for off the shelf]

Marzipan

on the VTOL thing - I wouldn't suggest an actual VTOL for a beginner as it means being able to fly both a multirotor/helicoper and a fixed wing, but in a craft that isn't as good at doing either of them as a dedicated craft. About the only VTOL that I would expect a beginner to be able to fly, would be something with basically a full auto-pilot and your just telling it which way you want it to go. [not sure if anything like that exists for off the shelf]
ahhh...then I totally used the term wrong I guess. the H36S can fly as the usual quad and twist the rotors so two are for lift and two are for propulsion.