Help! Is FPV worth it?

Shurik-1960

I had a friend for a long time who bought 7 cars to drive a different one every day of the week. He said: If I want something, I will buy it!! Why are you asking? There is a desire-buy!! The main thing is that the money would be commensurate with your desires....

Foamforce

I'm looking to fpv a couple of my planes with DJI. I'm just wondering if it is worth the price to get into it.

DJI is expensive but good. You could find out if you like it for much cheaper though. A pair of EV800d analog goggles for $100 and an AIO camera/tx/antenna for $20 will get you the experience. If you love it, then you’ll know whether it’s worth hundreds more for a clearer picture. You might even be satisfied with the cheap equipment.

CappyAmeric

Elite member
I have tons of digital FPV. DJI O3, DJI Vista, Walksnail, etc. although I tried it, I was not a fan of FPV on planes. There is no such thing as smooth FPV on a plane, and the visibility on most planes is abysmal. No, I do not think any FPV on a plane is worth it.

Quads? Oh yeah, worth it and then some.

Flying Monkey fab

Elite member
Like all parts of the hobby, only you can decide if it is worth it. I like both LOS and FPV but when the $$ are tight you can fly LOS very cheaply.

Hondo76251

Legendary member
I love fixed wing fpv, but I fly them more like the quad guys do lol. I've put fpv on about everything but my favorite setup is converting chuck gliders since they are so durable. I can see how, if all you did was open field flying, fpv on a fixed wing might not be too exciting compared to what a quad can do.

I've tried a lot of different setups but a little All In One camera is a cheap way to have fun and try it out.

Here is a little crash compilation video kinda shows what I'm talking about

Aireal Anarchist

Elite member
like others suggest get a CHEAP .. ALL in ONE camera and try it out.....

once you start buying expensive fpv gear you will need better quality plane, GPS, flight controllers with "RETURN TO HOME" it $nowballs FAST

I have a commercial use hexacopter with 3 cameras on remote switching , OSD , one camera is a gopro on a gimbal and one camera is a $1200.00 infrared on a 3 axis gimbal, onboard DVR recorder, data link... etc....Im always scared flying this thing with so much invested

when I am flying my flying wing or race quad with cheaper fpv gear I have fun throwing them around doing close proximity flying the landscape

Last edited:

Shurik-1960

I put small cameras in the keel of the model for almost everything : a friend of mine made a landing pad on a 3D printer. I want to buy a Chinese magnifying glass to enlarge the dummy screen.For large aircraft with a 2m span, I have a Fatshark and a 1.2 Mhz video transmitter-video receiver kit.

Attachments

• DSC00023.JPG
    DSC00023.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • DSC00030.JPG
    DSC00030.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
  • DSC00031.JPG
    DSC00031.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 0