It flew !!

mymaps

Hi everybody!

This is my first post, so you know, I'm a noobie :D but I have been reading posts and watching the videos/articles and man, how much you can learn! Had a problem with order from HobbyKing, package lost after 2 months, so I have been patiently reading that time.

After all that reading, bought batt/charger localy and I built a FT Versa, pusher, too optimistic for a 1st plane probably. It was too heavy (900grs / 31,7 oz, including 150 grs of lead) and if you add a bad CG tuning with the inexperience at the sticks ... it died after a few launches (flew 2-3m only):

Delta.jpg

Before destroying this one, I started building differently. It's quite difficult to find proper foam in Spain, and I only got blocks instead of sheets, so I needed to cut them in slices witha NiCrom wire. That also allowed me to cut a pair of wings with a flat-bottomed airfoil:

plane2.jpg

Seems small but it was around 135cm/52 inches. This one tried to fly but was so out of control that crashed into the ground, perhaps a too long tail, broke in 100 pieces :)

And here I am, wondering how to go on, I realized the power-pod (for tractor, instead of pusher) and starting from the beginning would help, I created something like an FT Flyer (reused the tail on #2):

FT Flyer.jpg

Some unsuccessful launches due to wind, a couple of days waiting desperately to have better weather, and then some more launches later, I got it flying !!!

Ohh what a feeling!! I am officially hooked to RC planes :applause: Hope next flight I can get some video, now I need to repair the Flyer (ended straigh to the ground, repairable) and finish the FT Delta

Last edited:

Ron B

Posted a thousand or more times
for safety's sake all beginners should have a doctor on hand for the first flight in case of heart trouble. I almost turned blue from holding my breath the first time and had to take a break between flights. congradulations and welcome to the forum.

mymaps

Just added a pic of my FT Flyer to the post #1

What do you think of it? It's ugly...but this one put me in the air so I love it

mymaps

And here I present my FT Delta, first one being decorated a little bit:

IMG_20140720_173642.jpg

I am building a new power-pod for it, also in blue as the ailerons. I hope its not broken in the maiden haha. I've realized now those colors are like AirFrance :)

1401754315.jpg

Last edited:

Coleman

You have to cut your own sheets of foam from a block? I admire that kind of dedication, it really makes me appreciate the dollar tree. Keep it up, that first flight is quite the accomplishment.

mymaps

You have to cut your own sheets of foam from a block? I admire that kind of dedication, it really makes me appreciate the dollar tree. Keep it up, that first flight is quite the accomplishment.
Hahaha yes I have, last one was a couple of pieces I cut for the ailerons of that Delta, I got 3 good cuts of around 6mm but the funny moment was at the beginning when I cut slices out of a whole block of 120x60x4 cm :cool: