JB Simple Seaplane

JUSS10

I like Biplanes
So a while back I decided I wanted to make a flying boat. Ever since I was a kid flipping through the tower hobbies big catalog the flying boats were always my favorite. I've built the FT Otter and the Sea Angel. Was never a fan of the looks of the otter and the Sean Angel was a pretty complicated build. I also really like the simplicity of the earlier plans and the simple series plans as they build quick and fly great. With that in mind I started to draw up a simply flying boat with a high mount forward facing motor. I wanted it to follow the simple series like the scout and cub where it can be a 3 channel or 4 channel with dihedral and a low part count. This plane fits on 3 sheets of foam and is 15 parts. I just finished my first prototype. A few things I want to change but I was driving it around the front yard and it hopped up real easy and wanted to fly. I posted a photo on the FB fan page but thought I'd start a thread here as well.

Initial thoughts are to move the motor forward ahead about an inch and the front bulkhead in the fuselage to allow for more nose weight.

Hope to make the maiden flight this week.

IMG_1960.jpeg

JUSS10

I like Biplanes
Took it for a maiden flight this morning with a pretty strong breeze. Took it like a champ. Hopped up easy and buzzed around just fine. Felt a little “loose” on some turns so I think I’ll make the rudder a bit taller. Could also use some down thrust as it wants to climb when you punch it. Not awful but bad enough that it should be fixed. Plan to make a few tweaks and try it again in a few days.

Attachments

• 5CAEC3AC-5BFF-44AD-8B0E-0CE485700B33.jpeg
    5CAEC3AC-5BFF-44AD-8B0E-0CE485700B33.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:

JUSS10

I like Biplanes
Looks great! Can't wait to see it fly!

Any chance of a T-Tail variant?

I had thought if going with a T tail but in the vain of keeping it "simple", I opted for a more traditional tail. T tail would require either a rear mounted servo which will require a lot of added nose weight to counter it or some sort of curved linkage system. may give it a try doing the second idea with the linkage in a guide

JUSS10

I like Biplanes
ok... so I just drew up a T tail option. I'll cut it out and give it a try. I have two ideas in mind that use guide tubes. Something like an old school RC car antenna tube or I have had good luck finding polystyrene tubes at hobby lobby.

Apis

ok... so I just drew up a T tail option. I'll cut it out and give it a try. I have two ideas in mind that use guide tubes. Something like an old school RC car antenna tube or I have had good luck finding polystyrene tubes at hobby lobby.

There are rc-intended guide tubes for long control wires on the market already. So you don't need to reinvent the wheel. Also, I tip I learned about water planes is too add petroleum jelly to the tube, keeps water out.

JUSS10

I like Biplanes
Ok so made a motor mount that gives me 2 degrees down and 2 degrees to the right. Also moved my motor ahead about 20mm. Cut an extension to bump the rudder height up a bit too.

Also drew up and cut out some motor pods to allow it to run as a twin with 250 size motors.

Attachments

• DDDF5750-5AAF-42A3-994D-090DCF8D0C96.jpeg
    DDDF5750-5AAF-42A3-994D-090DCF8D0C96.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0

JUSS10

I like Biplanes
There are rc-intended guide tubes for long control wires on the market already. So you don't need to reinvent the wheel. Also, I tip I learned about water planes is too add petroleum jelly to the tube, keeps water out.

Yeah I know, I just like to keep with the FT spirit of getting parts from craft stores and dollar stores. The tubes I’ve been using are 12” long, come in a 6 pack and only cost $4.

Need to get some smaller diameter control wire next time I’m out at the hobby shop. I usually use .039 but that seems a bit stiff for a near 90 degree bend for the T tail. I suppose I could also use two linkages and “t” style servo control arm to make the direction change.

Apis

Yeah I know, I just like to keep with the FT spirit of getting parts from craft stores and dollar stores. The tubes I’ve been using are 12” long, come in a 6 pack and only cost $4.

Fair enough. Who doesnt like cheap? :)

Last edited:

JUSS10

I like Biplanes
Amazing idea! it looks real nice, but maybe if you round the front some more it will act better in the water.

Like make it boat hull shaped? I could but then it starts to get more complicated. I wanted a simple plane that was easy to build that could fly off water, snow, grass, etc.

Here are some pics of the two wing configurations. Flew better with the down and right angle of the motor. The twin just needs some down on the motors as it wants to nose up when flying. But wow, the twin has some serious punch. It was off the ground in no time and quite aerobatic. I have it set up with flaperons and differential thrust. Makes it easy for ground handling that was as well. Wing is the same for either configuration it just uses different motor pods.

Attachments

• 35218F3B-06D7-4F91-8EB9-C1030E88D472.jpeg
    35218F3B-06D7-4F91-8EB9-C1030E88D472.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 26364F57-A4CA-4331-98CF-86B1D9F72E04.jpeg
    26364F57-A4CA-4331-98CF-86B1D9F72E04.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 5DCF19FE-60D6-496D-BEB5-3EC8C562C344.jpeg
    5DCF19FE-60D6-496D-BEB5-3EC8C562C344.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0