Joining 2 pieces of foam board

Xoremus

What process do you all use for joining 2 pieces of foam board (Butt Joint) to be sure it wont come apart when forming what you need ?

Thanks ahead of time
Paul

Butt them together, tape one side, open it up, squirt in hot glue. Lay it down flat and squeegee of the excess, then tape over the top.

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
That method works great - for a lighter weight alternative, you can also squirt in White Gorilla Glue instead of hot glue, but use the same tape on top and bottom process.

jtrops

I just put two pieces together for the wing on a 300% scout today. I used a scarf joint instead of a butt joint, and the finished joint feels as stiff, or stiffer than the foamboard on either side. I didn't use tape on it because it is getting skinned with a camo pattern, and then laminated to more foamboard with the seam in a different spot.

I have more pieces to build like this, so next time I'll have a student take some photo's. I should probably put them into the 300% Scout thread that one of my students started.

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
For a little extra strength you can cut through the paper on one side of each piece to be joined but on different sides.
Remove the paper and foam under the cut area and but the 2 pieces together with glue such that the paper flaps overlap the joint on each side. Glue the flaps down as well and tape over the entire joint area inside and out as required, (or not required).

If you are overly concerned about the slight bump, sandpaper across the joint before applying the tape or other finish.

Have fun!