Help! Jumper T16 / Taranis

Ali F

Hello everyone,

I want to buy a Tx/Rx, and some members adviced me to have the Jumper T16.
The idea is to buy something that I can use with different type of planes ( Quad/ Fixedwing ) and aslo in different types of projects.
And I hope I can use the same Tx with 2 or 3 planes, like have 1 Tx and 3 Rx.
So I want something that flexible and durable and open Tx.
What are your suggestions? Also for the receiver.

Thank you in advance.

Bricks

Master member
First thing I would do is watch some of the programing videos and read about OT it is not a walk in the park to learn then decide if this is the route you want to go. It was not for me I spent a month trying to learn OT and ended up staying with Spektrum it will do just as much as OT and much easier to program.

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
If I were to start all over I would get Jumper, not sure why anybody needs 16 channels. As @Bricks said, OpenTx has a steep learning curve. Once you learn it, it's extremely flexible. If one of your buddies has a Tx with OpenTx & can help you, then go for it.

danskis

Master member
You should consider a Jumper or Tarranis......BUT be aware the the Jumper 8 channel is NOT OpenTX. They call it OpenTX but it is in fact the much less supported Deviation software which is extremely difficult to figure out. I would avoid it like Covid-19!!! unless you want to spend more time with your transmitter than flying. Jumpers 12 channel is better and you might want to consider the 16 channel which are both OpenTX.

Good suggestion to look at the Tarranis programing on YouTube before buying.

Almost all plane transmitters will let you connect multiple planes to one transmitter. Do a search on this website for "what transmitter should I buy" or something like that.

Ali F

Thank you guys.
I think I will go for this one.
1587421012315.png

Any receivers suggestions?

danskis

Master member
I don't know about the Jumper but the scroll wheel on the Spektrum breaks after a while....years? Can you get a replacement for the scroll wheel on the Jumper.

Lemon, , FlySky, worked well my Jumper T8

Wildthing

Legendary member
You should consider a Jumper or Tarranis......BUT be aware the the Jumper 8 channel is NOT OpenTX. They call it OpenTX but it is in fact the much less supported Deviation software which is extremely difficult to figure out. I would avoid it like Covid-19!!! unless you want to spend more time with your transmitter than flying. Jumpers 12 channel is better and you might want to consider the 16 channel which are both OpenTX.

Good suggestion to look at the Tarranis programing on YouTube before buying.

Almost all plane transmitters will let you connect multiple planes to one transmitter. Do a search on this website for "what transmitter should I buy" or something like that.

Good info on the Jumper 8 @BATTLEAXE

Liam B

Taranis is my ride or die. 4 different brands of radios later, I never fully switched.

I've had my X9D Plus radio for 2 years now and have never had a major problem.

And I have tried Jumper and it isn't terribly different from FrSky. It wasn't good enough for me to switch. Plus I use TBS Crossfire 95% of the time.

Ali F

Taranis is my ride or die. 4 different brands of radios later, I never fully switched.

I've had my X9D Plus radio for 2 years now and have never had a major problem.

And I have tried Jumper and it isn't terribly different from FrSky. It wasn't good enough for me to switch. Plus I use TBS Crossfire 95% of the time.
You think go for Taranis is better than a Jumper T16?
I want something durable and work for all types of projects and types of planes.
And also something that I can use with many planes ( 1 Tx 3 Rx for 3 planes for example )

Liam B

You think go for Taranis is better than a Jumper T16?
I want something durable and work for all types of projects and types of planes.
And also something that I can use with many planes ( 1 Tx 3 Rx for 3 planes for example )

I got 2 quads on crossfire, and all my planes are on standard FrSky SBUS. The only mod for FrSky that I did was add the SMA adapter so I can run various DBi antennas.

The nice thing is that if you want to run cheaper receivers, you can always plug in a OrangeRX module to the back, but the FrSky receivers are pretty affordable.

Wildthing

Legendary member
What receiver to use with the T16?
Mainly FlySky AFHDS2 (I think that is it :D ) and I am also now trying some knock off DSMX rx's , I did bind to a cheap Wiltoys rx I have also but it has a ton of options in there plus you can use the Crossfire also, the back bay is open for it..

Ali F

@Wildthing any suggestions about the receivers and Fc?
Im going to start 2 projects for agriculture, 1 quad and 1 fixed wing.
I want to use the same Tx the T16 with 2 receivers ( one for quad one for fixed wing )
Maybe FPV OSD GPS AUTOPILOT and some sensors.
For the fixed wing I choosed the ZOHD Kopilot.