Just Starting the Hobby and I have the 1st of Many Questions

Halcyon2k6

Hello,

I am a complete noob to the RC community. I randomly fell upon the flite test youtube channel and I have been binge watching for almost two months now. When you are deployed in the military and not flying missions what else is there is to do? LOL!

Before I am lit up for not searching through the forum, I have found several different articles in regards to beginners and transmitters, but none of the articles talk about making a hobbie lifetime purchase. So, here's my question.

I am planning to do a scratch build of the Versa Wing with the pusher conversion. I know this is probably well above my skill level as a total new guy, but I like challenges. I just like the design. I also want to learn how to build my first aircraft as I will be crashing it pretty often. I know it will probably take me three times longer and have to build the aircraft probably twice. I am going to be getting the electronics either through Flite Test or my hobby shop once I am stateside. I have everything picked out per the scratch build guidelines from the videos and articles here. My question is what transmitter should I go with? I would like three different budget levels. The "budget" level, mid-range (Nice but not crazy), High-End (Please don't tell my wife) of transmitters. I have been looking at everything from the Spectrum 6XI to the Turnigy 9XR to the FrSky 9XD Taranis. I want something I can continue to grow into for the future. I am planning to eventually end up in FPV quads and possibly even getting into aerial photography with drones.

For my last question, would anyone be interested either in a video blog or a written blog of the build process of building a versa wing with zero RC experience or scratch build experience.

mjmccarron

Hello and welcome to the forum. First, you're right. The Versa is a bit beyond a beginner skill level but I don't want to discourage you from building it. Go for it but, if I may suggest, also build a FT Flyer. Do your initial learning with the Flyer and then move on to the versa. Nice thing is, the electronics are compatible. Don't get too attached to your first plane, it will get beat up a bit in the process of learning but the Flyer is easy to build and more importantly, easy to fly. As far as radios, I'm a Spectrum guy. I think the DX6i is a great start and a system you can grow with for some time. My experience with Tunigy has been horrible at best. In my opinion you would be waisting money on a 9XR and you'd be better off throwing rocks at your plane to steer it. The FrSky Taranis seems to be a fine system and of decent quality, especially for the price. The rule of thumb here is to buy as much radio as you can comfortably afford. In any event, best of luck to you and feel free to ask lots of questions. There are a lot of people on here willing to lend support. I wish we had the internet and forums when I was learning to fly RC (1978). Also, keep us posted on your progress. Welcome to the obsession er, um, hobby. Also, thank you for your service to our country!

Mike

Halcyon2k6

Mike,
Nice to meet you!!! Thank You. Thanks for the quick reply. Your probably right on the FT flyer prior to the Versa wing. I'm hoping this hobby (obsession) will be cheaper then my other hobby of big airplane flying. God only knows I can't afford that hobby much more. Out of the two between the FrSky and Spectrum which one has the most growth opportunity? Also can you exchange the different types of frequencies/receivers on the spectrum like you can the FrSky? I know the FrSky has the module thing on the back of the transmitter.

mjmccarron

I can't afford to fly big planes much anymore either. Kids came along and RC is the top of my budget. I haven't got any experience with the FrSky but it looks to have great potential. I have all JR and Spectrum gear and have had NO problems with it. Spectrum seems to have more of an aftermarket following but you do get to pay for the name. The DSM2 Spectrums have had some range issues though I have never experienced any. I fly with a DX9 and DSMX receivers and they are rock solid. A friend has a Taranis and so far he has had no troubles with it. I have noticed that the transmitter modules have a lower power output rating (300mW) as opposed to my DX9 (600mW) but my friend has had no issues with the modules either. A factor in your decision might be: What are others in your area using. Though this should not ultimately make your decision, bear in mind that it's easier for someone to help you if they're familiar with your radio. That being said, the best advice I can give you is to find others in your area. You will enjoy quicker success if someone with some experience is there to guide you through the "awkward" beginner stage. It can be very frustrating at first. especially for a full scale pilot. Other than the basic principles of aerodynamics, there is little to no similarities between full scale and RC. Think of it this way, if you're flying a fun scale airplane and you find yourself disoriented because it is coming at you nose in, you have a problem. Combined with the fact that you can't "feel" what's going on and there you go. Your full scale experience will help with understanding things like airspeed management and coordinated turns though. What I'm trying to say politely is "Don't be disappointed when you find that just because you can fly a full size airplane you will struggle at first with RC. It's normal. You will have fun though.

Mike

quadsview

I would go with the Taranis. That is, if your up to trying to figure it out. It has a fairly steep learning curve. The spectrum is nice, but is very much of a plug and play transmitter. The Taranis will grow with you for a long long time.

pressalltheknobs

Posted a thousand or more times
...Out of the two between the FrSky and Spectrum which one has the most growth opportunity? Also can you exchange the different types of frequencies/receivers on the spectrum like you can the FrSky? I know the FrSky has the module thing on the back of the transmitter.

No, you can't use other brand protocols with Spektrum TXs. They support DSMX and DSM2 only. You can get inexpensive compatible receivers from Orange and Lemon which are apparently quite good so that can offset the expense of the TX. Note: Generally you should avoid the older DSM2 gear unless you have good reason.

Growth opportunity will depend on what you want to grow.

If you are interested in growing you hangar of Spektrum BNF planes then a Spektrum TX will probably be more convenient. The trouble with Spektrum is the base full featured 6ch, the DX6 is around $200. It has a good set of features but if you want more channels then you have to buy a more expensive radio. They have a few cheaper entry level options but those have pretty limited features.

With the FrSky Taranis Plus you get 16 channels and more features, controls and flexibility than probably any Spektrum TX for about the same price as the DX6. FrSky ACCST is just as good if not better than DSMX and FrSky has probably the best rc telemetry system available that is also reasonably priced. The caveat with the FrSky is that it's a more technical radio and you are expected to set more stuff up yourself. You will have to watch videos and read some stuff if you get this. Great if you like that stuff, annoying if you just want to fly.

With FrSky you can plug in modules to get Spektrum support but it will only get you 6Chs. So you won't get full Spektrum compatibility but you should be able to fly most of their current BNF stuff. The bought options like Orange are not that great. The best way to do it is via DIY module that uses the TX module from and old DX4e,DX5e or DX6i because then you get 6Ch and model memory.

One way to start would be to get a used DSMX Spektrum Dx5e (has an X on the front) for around $40-$50 maybe even with a receiver (if not get an Orange or Lemon 6ch DSMX rx). Then you can get started with few trainer BNFs while you build your models and try to get them to fly. The Dx5e is pretty basic but it will give you the idea. It's not that great for flying your only models because it lacks servo endpoint adjustment, rates are preset and there's no expo but it will get you in the air. Note: A Dx6i will get you those things for a bit more money (~ $80 used $130 new).

If after that you want to continue, you will have a better idea of where you want to go. Then you can either buy a DX6,7,8 whatever (keep the DX5e for buddy boxing or as a guest radio or sell it on for what you paid for it) or you could buy a Taranis Plus and sacrifice the Dx5e to make a Spektrum compatible Tx module for your Taranis. You can still use it for buddy boxing and as a simulator controller once it has been eviscerated. You can do the same with a Dx6i.

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
welcome halcyon2k6

you could also go with the explorer to start learning and then move to the versa or the mini arrow. the arrow is just a bit smaller if you want to fly in smaller areas but the versa has way more ways to fly (fpv, pusher, late beginner, gate racer) but its up to you