KitFox Series 7 STi

bf109g-14

Finally took it up again yesterday. I added a lot more thrust angle and some down thrust and that seemed to do the trick. Have to be careful on takeoff with the wind, though, this plane really doesn't like any crosswind.

bf109g-14

Totally destroyed the power pod... But the prop's fine! Hit it coming in a little slow for landing and stalled. Knocked everything loose, but it was about time for a rebuild. I've put the down thrust and thrust angle in the firewall and power pod so it's a little cleaner. I'm also adding a bit of up travel on the ailerons because I wasn't getting quite enough control with some wind, but there's already a lot of down travel as I set it up for flaperons. Haven't flown it yet, though.

bf109g-14

It's been a little while, I took it up again. I flew it on a Master Airscrew 3-blade 9x5 prop and I love the prop. Super quiet and very robust. The plane flies OK but it has some aileron authority issues for sure. I ended up using a lot of rudder even when I cranked full aileron just to get it to turn.The flight ended when a gust of wind pushed the nose down about 40ft from the ground and I couldn't get it back up. Nosed right into the ground. Broke the firewall but the prop was OK. Good job Master Airscrew! I've got a few ideas for changes to make on version 2:

- Shorten the wingspan a couple inches
- Make the ailerons a bit fatter
- Enlarge all the tail surfaces
- Lengthen the aft section of the fuselage a couple inches

If anyone can think of anything that might improve the roll and pitch control please let me know!!!

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
It's been a little while, I took it up again. I flew it on a Master Airscrew 3-blade 9x5 prop and I love the prop. Super quiet and very robust. The plane flies OK but it has some aileron authority issues for sure. I ended up using a lot of rudder even when I cranked full aileron just to get it to turn.The flight ended when a gust of wind pushed the nose down about 40ft from the ground and I couldn't get it back up. Nosed right into the ground. Broke the firewall but the prop was OK. Good job Master Airscrew! I've got a few ideas for changes to make on version 2:

- Shorten the wingspan a couple inches
- Make the ailerons a bit fatter
- Enlarge all the tail surfaces
- Lengthen the aft section of the fuselage a couple inches

If anyone can think of anything that might improve the roll and pitch control please let me know!!!
If anything I’d lengthen the wingspan a couple inches. All the other ideas sound good though.

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Why is that? I thought shortening it would increase roll rate.
It will make them more responsive, but from your video it looks like it’s already a little unstable and decreasing the WS would exaggerate that. If I were you I’d increase the size of the ailerons, add a little undercamber to the wingtips, and enlarge/extend the tail. Just FYI the ailerons on my ft freedom fox don’t have very much authority compared to lots of my other planes.

bf109g-14

It will make them more responsive, but from your video it looks like it’s already a little unstable and decreasing the WS would exaggerate that. If I were you I’d increase the size of the ailerons, add a little undercamber to the wingtips, and enlarge/extend the tail. Just FYI the ailerons on my ft freedom fox don’t have very much authority compared to lots of my other planes.
Haha I forgot to add a picture of the new wing I have! I don't think I have a video of it flying either, that's my mistake! My new wing has under cambered wingtips with less a less extreme airfoil overall. It's a lot more stable now, but lacks aileron authority. I'll put up pictures of the new wing, and see if I can find a video of it flying.

bf109g-14

IMG_0903.jpg
IMG_0904.jpg
IMG_0905.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0903.jpg
    IMG_0903.jpg
    490.8 KB · Views: 0

bf109g-14

Well guys... Time to resurrect this thread, three years later. I've come to revisit the Kitfox! I've made a brand new version out of flite foam board. Here are some of the major changes:

- Less extreme airfoil shape
- Ailerons moved closer to the wing
- 30% enlarged tail surfaces
- Shortened nose
- Quick release struts
- Added a battery hatch... desperately needed it
- Cool looking three blade prop

Took it out for it's maiden flight a few days ago and it flew alright. It's a little squirrelly in the wind and I haven't quite figured out how to land it, it's a little finicky. But I was pretty happy and I've started putting a new paint job on it. I will update with photos later when the paint is done.

Michael9865

Elite member
Well guys... Time to resurrect this thread, three years later. I've come to revisit the Kitfox! I've made a brand new version out of flite foam board. Here are some of the major changes:

- Less extreme airfoil shape
- Ailerons moved closer to the wing
- 30% enlarged tail surfaces
- Shortened nose
- Quick release struts
- Added a battery hatch... desperately needed it
- Cool looking three blade prop

Took it out for it's maiden flight a few days ago and it flew alright. It's a little squirrelly in the wind and I haven't quite figured out how to land it, it's a little finicky. But I was pretty happy and I've started putting a new paint job on it. I will update with photos later when the paint is done.
Have you thought about extending the bottom skin further out towards the wing tips? This would strengthen the outer section of the wing from getting damaged. I look forward to seeing your progress.

bf109g-14

Have you thought about extending the bottom skin further out towards the wing tips? This would strengthen the outer section of the wing from getting damaged. I look forward to seeing your progress.
I forgot about that! I did decide to bring the bottom skin all the way to the wingtips, it's definitely much better than before.

bf109g-14

Here are some pictures of the almost complete airplane. I plan on going to the hobby store tomorrow to get some wheels and really bring the look together.

I decided to go with an arctic camo paint scheme because I love the colors on it and it really isn't one I see a lot, especially on bush planes. I think it gives the plane a bit extra character. However, when it was white and brown my dad said it looked like a cow and I just can't get that out of my head now 🤣 I think I'm going to call it Daisy as I feel like that's a very common cow name.

It's definitely not the best paint job I've ever done, I had a lot of problems with masking. But it will look okay in the air, and I suppose that's all that matters. And I forgot to mention, I replaced the forward nose with a 3d printed plastic cowling, it's a little easier to house the motor.

I'll take some better pictures once it's put together a little more, but enjoy these until then!

Attachments

• IMG_1010.jpg
    IMG_1010.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1012.jpg
    IMG_1012.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1013.jpg
    IMG_1013.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 0

bf109g-14

Some better pictures of the complete KitFox. Unfortunately these are the biggest wheels at the local hobby store, but I ordered some new ones that are much better "bush" tires.

I'll update on flying it later today. Enjoy!

IMG_1416.jpg

IMG_1425.jpg
IMG_1426.jpg
IMG_1427.jpg
IMG_1430.jpg

bf109g-14

Took it for a very short flight yesterday, as it was very windy. It handled quite well for the wind, landing is a bit tricky. I caught a gust on the second landing and cartwheeled, breaking on the of the strut mounts. It was a very easy fix, fortunately.

I have some videos of flying and will post sometimes this week. Stay tuned!

Taildragger

Legendary member
Some better pictures of the complete KitFox. Unfortunately these are the biggest wheels at the local hobby store, but I ordered some new ones that are much better "bush" tires.

I'll update on flying it later today. Enjoy!

View attachment 240641
View attachment 240642 View attachment 240643 View attachment 240644 View attachment 240645
🥵 danggggg

working on my MK2 mini kitfox rn and rediscovered this thread... you've done some stuff since I last saw!

If you like that color scheme you got to check out Trey Pappas and Otis Childers on IG, they both have arctic camo SuperSTOLs