KK 2.1.5 Setup

RCjim

Hi, I'm trying to setup a kk 2.1.5 for my tricopter, I'm also using a DX6i. I don't know what the best settings to fly would be. The throttle is rather touchy, it rises and falls easily. Should I use a throttle curve or would I need to change something on with the board? Also with a kk 2.1.5 do you setup dual rates and expo on the transmitter or the board and if so what is the best for getting started?

Hi, I'm trying to setup a kk 2.1.5 for my tricopter, I'm also using a DX6i. I don't know what the best settings to fly would be. The throttle is rather touchy, it rises and falls easily. Should I use a throttle curve or would I need to change something on with the board? Also with a kk 2.1.5 do you setup dual rates and expo on the transmitter or the board and if so what is the best for getting started?

Jim, my first suggestion would be to flash the latest Steveis firmware. Make sure to check out his PDF manual in that link and it will answer a ton of questions for you and give you guidance on all of the kk settings.

Make sure to calibrate your ESCs so that the board knows the min and max throws of your throttle
1. TAKE YOUR PROPS OFF!
2. Double check that your props are off!
3. Make sure your multirotor is unplugged and turn your receiver on
4. Set your throttle on the receiver to full up
5. Plug in your multirotor and quickly hold button 1 and 4 on the KK board/programmer and continue to hold until this process is complete (the screen on the board should read something about throttle passthrough. If you don't see this, you did not hold the buttons fast enough and you will have to do this step until you see the message.)
6. You should hear a couple of beeps to confirm that max throttle has been set.
7. Move throttle to min bottom and you should hear a couple more beeps to confirm min thottle.
8. Let go of button 1 and 4
You are done.

That will probably fix your throttle issue.

Use stick scaling to set up how responsive you want the multi to be and then use the radio to set up your dual rate and expo. These cannot be set up through the board. I would start with about 40-50 on aileron and elevator scaling and i like more rudder so i would set that a little more than aileron and elevator if you are feeling froggy. I have my dual rates set to 100% and 75% with expo of 50 on both with stick scaling of 75. This gives a great feel on both auto level and acro. An expo of 30 would probably work better for the smaller stick scalings.

Also use the 'Receiver Test' screen on the board along with end point adjustment and sub trimming on the radio to completely trim the multi before you get it off of the ground. Let me know if you have questions about this and i will explain further.

If the props are balanced and you are on the latest firmware, your PI settings for both auto level and acro mode should be almost perfect with default settings. If not, check out that PDF for a basic idea of how to dial in PI settings.

If you have checked all of these boxes, you should have a nice dialed in multi. I am flying a tricopter on the KK 2.1 HC and have to do a couple of extra mix settings for the servo but after the steps above, she flies like a dream!

I hope this helps and good luck to you!

[EDIT: added some extra info about stick scaling, expo and dual rates]

Last edited:

RCjim

I looked at the PDF before and did most of what you listed but I did not update the firmware. When I got it it was preloaded with 1.17s1 Pro, should I update it?

Last edited:

Balu

Lurker
Staff member
Admin
Use stick scaling to set up how responsive you want the multi to be and then use the radio to set up your dual rate and expo. These cannot be set up through the board. I would start with about 40-50 on aileron and elevator scaling and i like more rudder so i would set that a little more than aileron and elevator if you are feeling froggy. I have my dual rates set to 100% and 75% with expo of 50 on both with stick scaling of 75. This gives a great feel on both auto level and acro. An expo of 30 would probably work better for the smaller stick scalings.

I suggest to not use rates on your radio if you don't have to. Using rates on the radio will also limit your stick resolution - 75% rate means the output is limited to 75% too. Instead you could send 100% and have the controller react less on that.

Steveis Firmware allows you to set up two profiles. You can use that to have two kinds of stick scaling - or dual rates if you will. You can find it in the menu under "Profiles".

The interesting option is:

Switch SS & PI
  • No – Enables you to select either Profile 1 or Profile 2.
  • Yes – Forces you to use Profile 1 as the main profile. However, when you switch the Aux switch, it will use the Stick Scaling and PI settings from Profile 2. If you don’t want to use Self Level when switching to the Stick Scaling and PI settings from P2 you can set Self Level P Gain to zero in P2 or you can set Self Level to “Stick” in P1.

I looked at the PDF before and did most of what you listed but I did not update the firmware. When I got it it was preloaded with 1.17s1 Pro, should I update it?

1.17 should be just fine. I was under the assumption that it was still on the KK stock firmware.

RCjim

I updated it to ver. 1.18s1 pro, and I'll try going through what you guys said. Should you use throttle curve or not? I know you need to use heli mode for that. Some say you can for multirotors some say you cannot.

Last edited:
I updated it to ver. 1.18s1 pro, and I'll try going through what you guys said. Should you use throttle curve or not? I know you need to use heli mode for that. Some say you can for multirotors some say you cannot.

I haven't found a good reason to use throttle curve with multirotors but im sure some people use it.

Cyberdactyl

Misfit Multirotor Monkey
This sounds like it may have become a bit complicated.

All I do is add about 30-45% expo to the elevator and aileron and around 20% to yaw. The touchy throttle is most likely the need to tweak the P & I a bit. Unless you have an outlandish power-to-weight, there should be no need to adjust the throttle or use a throttle curve. If you're new to building and flying, I suspect you don't have a flying Ferrari.

RCjim

I followed rcexplorer's design using 930 kv motors, 30a SimonK ESC's, a 4s 3000 mAh battery, and 9x4.7 props. I followed all the steps but the throttle is still touchy. Does not hover. Slowly goes up and if I try to correct it goes down.

Last edited: