Knuckle H-Quad or Anycopter Quad for an beginner?

lasse_2409

I want to start flying quads and was wandering if the Knuckle H-Quad kit or the Anycopter Quad kit would be the best?

;)

RoyBro

Mentor
I don't think it matters really. But I like the compactness of the Knuckle. Also, if you choose to scratch build the hub, it is easier to cut out using a scroll saw, or even a jig saw.

kah00na

My vote is for the Knuckle H-Quad. I don't think the anycopter plates are strong enough to endure hard crashes. Also, like RoyBro said, the H-Quad plates would be easier to custom cut.

Tomtom

I started with a Knuckle H-quad and it's an amazing platform to start: solid, light and very agile. I crashed it several times, even broke a boom in 2 on 5cm but a couple of zip ties after, it's all fine :)

Last edited:

jhitesma

Some guy in the desert
Mentor
I built a knuckle for my first "real" quad and have been very happy with it. Heck I even did it the ultra hard way and just used razor blades to cut the knuckles out of ply! The design is VERY forgiving to build and holds up to crashes well but is easy to repair when you do crash. Maybe not quite as quick and easy as an X or + style with individual arms since you have to remount two motors any time you replace a boom...but still really easy.

Tomtom

I asked the exact same question for the H quad here and short answer is: yes you can do it but only one or the other.

Having both systems will be too heavy for the quad. I'm talking about a gimbal + FPV setup. I also have to say that if you want to add a gimbal, it requires a bit of work to attach it properly on the frame (with damping balls for instance)

Last edited:
im also a beginner with just about 3 or 4 flights with my quad. By the way your gonna love it =P

Im completely new to RC and so started a thread here:
http://forum.flitetest.com/showthread.php?6423-New-to-the-hobby-and-need-help-for-a-tricopter

And a member posted a link in post number 2 which will help you out alot. Basically the construction of a quad from step one too the last and you see every minor step inbetween. helped ma alot. Not the same frame as you are looking at but you could adapt it to the flite test frames =)

I got the SK450 frame and i've crashed it hard several times. Nothing has broken "yet" lol

lasse_2409

Tanks for the replies I will check out the links and threads, I will go with the knuckle h quad and scratch build it because I live in the uk. It will probably take 2 weeks or so for me to finish it, but when I finish I will probably post a build thread of it. If you have any other thoughts or ideas to the subject please feel free to post them