Laminating a foamy with balsa

Hondafan

I was thinking about putting very thin balsa plates over a foamy.
Why? For smoother and more finishing details .
However, can this be done?
Will it not screw up balance, will it be a problem for the motor, will the weight go up much...

Anyone ever did something like this ?

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
This has been successfully done many times by others. I've personally never done it. What I have observed is that they skin the foam with 1/16" balsa and adhere it with Gorilla glue. Hold the panel down with an ace bandage. The advantage is that when you go to glass the airplane, sitting in the sun does not off-gas the foam much from the excessive heat. Its much stronger as well. Its application really depends on the size of your model.

Hondafan

well it would be for the FT Simple Storch
I am thinking about putting verry thin layer of balsa on it when it is ready, because it will give me more options to detailing it when painting

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
Well, I would remove any paper before applying any wood. This will also make it more long-lasting. This will eat a lot of wood.

I cover with brown paper and elmers glue watered down, and then cover with wbpu makes a nice sturdy surface can sand and detail nicely.

Hondafan

thx for the tip Willsonman, and indeed i will need enough wood, but i am thinking about using 0.3mm balsa sheets

Also nice tip pakrat, fiberglassing is not something i tought about, but it is also possible

Think when the build is complete ill have some testing to do before i descide about wood or wbpu

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
I expect that you'll price the options out before you buy . . . but a local data point that may or may not apply to you:

I purchased a 3m glider kit (fiberglass fuse and EPS cores) earlier this year for a song. The kit called for a 1/16 balsa sheeting as the primary finishing cover. After spec'ing out how many sheets of what and pricing (a big wing gets expensive), I found the cost of the balsa sheeting shipped was more expensive and heavier than the necessary swatch of carbon cloth AND the good quality laminating resin needed to finish it.

One thing to note, doing the carbon layup the right way needs vacuum bagging gear, where the balsa can be done right in the core beds, but My point is Balsa has become an expensive material, relative to some "exotic" alternatives. It's well worth running the numbers by the options.

Hondafan

I think balsa prices are not that bad around here.
i pay aroud 0.7euros for a plate of 10cm/25cm (think that is around 0.8dollar for a plate 3.9inch/9.6inch)
So i think that will not be to expensive to cover the fuselage + wings

but it is indeed something to considder