1:4 Scale Foamy Albatros D.Va – Flite Fest 2022 Dawn Patrol Challenge

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
Yeah, I don't expect the P-factor to be a factor :p

IDK when maiden will take place but I'll let you know as soon as I know. June 4th or 5th look promising so I'll keep my eyes on the weather. Do you think it would be worth hitting DCRC? Winds @ Lorton are typically higher and as much as I love Poplar Ford and think the grass there would be the best overall it does have more trees to contend with.
I'm attending the Gettysburg warbird event on the 4th. Come on up and we'll maiden at an unfamiliar field LOL.

NM156

Is this the event? Couldn't find an event on the 4th...

Steve Arnold Memorial Warbirds over Gettysburg June 11th & 12th

NM156

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
Is this the event? Couldn't find an event on the 4th...

Steve Arnold Memorial Warbirds over Gettysburg June 11th & 12th

NM156

Ah, yep. Looks like I totally remembered that wrong. THANK YOU! *runs off to update the wife*

wilmracer

I build things that fly (sometimes)
Mentor
I'm attending the Gettysburg warbird event on the 4th. Come on up and we'll maiden at an unfamiliar field LOL.

Well, hopefully she'll already be airborn before the 11th/12th. I wouldn't be able to go to Gettysburg that weekend anyway as the kiddo has soccer and birthday parties. The following weekend is my mother's retirement party and then we're @ FF, so I'm gonna push hard for the 4th/5th.

wilmracer

Mentor
Ailerons are done. I do still need to hook up the linkages and crimp the extensions but that will be quick. Soon...

282148211_10159954815308501_7704946127577323770_n.jpg

284289741_10159954815113501_7268892843567576155_n.jpg

wilmracer

Mentor
I'll put this question out to the hive-mind... I do plan to do rib stitching using THIS method. What I'm trying to decide on is when to lay down the remaining vinyl decals on the wings. I'm leaning toward doing them now, applying the rib stitching and tape, and then painting the areas that overlap the decals to match. That won't be too hard as it is just Black/White on the crosses. Other option would be to do the stitching/tape first and then lay the decals but I suspect it may be tough to get a smooth applicaition over the stitching.

Baron VonHelton

Elite member
I'll put this question out to the hive-mind... I do plan to do rib stitching using THIS method. What I'm trying to decide on is when to lay down the remaining vinyl decals on the wings. I'm leaning toward doing them now, applying the rib stitching and tape, and then painting the areas that overlap the decals to match. That won't be too hard as it is just Black/White on the crosses. Other option would be to do the stitching/tape first and then lay the decals but I suspect it may be tough to get a smooth applicaition over the stitching.

The paint & the sticker may not match. I'd lay the crosses AFTER the stitching is put down.

(y)

wilmracer

Mentor
The paint & the sticker may not match. I'd lay the crosses AFTER the stitching is put down.

TBH I figure a light gloss black and white wouldn't be too hard to match and that as natural weathering occurs it probably wouldn't matter much anyway. I'll sleep on it tonight.

Tench745

Master member

The way I look at it, your pinking tapes will tend to smooth out most of the bubble-causing areas. If you can get a little heat into the vinyl decals without hurting the wing under it I suspect you can get it to lay down okay. Any way to do a test piece?
You can probably get a decent color match at first, but I would be a little concerned about paint and decal not aging/weathering/collecting grime the same way. If you can get a test piece to lay down okay I would do the rib stitching first. If it was me, I would consider hand painting the crosses, because I hate myself. :LOL:

wilmracer

Mentor
If it was me, I would consider hand painting the crosses, because I hate myself. :LOL:

Yeah, no way I'm going to have time to do that before FF, and I already have the vinyl crosses from Callie. No problem putting heat on it... the fabric on the wing now was laid down with a hot iron.

Ligbaer

50 Percenter
Yeah, I don't expect the P-factor to be a factor :p

IDK when maiden will take place but I'll let you know as soon as I know. June 4th or 5th look promising so I'll keep my eyes on the weather. Do you think it would be worth hitting DCRC? Winds @ Lorton are typically higher and as much as I love Poplar Ford and think the grass there would be the best overall it does have more trees to contend with.
If hit you Poplar ford I will probably come for the maiden.

wilmracer

Mentor
Pushing hard to get the remaining essentials done. Inter-wing struts are 50% installed. I will attach the mount bracket for the guy wires to the ply plate, fill the remaining gap with balsa, recover, and then paint the bracket and pivot. Forward struts go in tonight and then on to flying wires. I MAY need to swap in longer control arms on the aileron servos so I can properly setup throws and differential.

While watching glue dry I have been working on some additional detail parts. I have a MK2 version of the upper radiator that is currently in progress, as well as the coolant pipes that run between the engine and radiator.

283629265_1704344739917452_8226875438603432022_n.jpg

280997175_360990786099057_7762060101254184325_n.jpg

View attachment 20220602_072657.jpg
View attachment 20220602_072708.jpg
View attachment 20220602_072853.jpg

View attachment 20220602_072954.jpg

wilmracer

Mentor
VERY close now. Struts are installed (still need to fill in gap and recover). Flying wire installation is done well enough for FF. There may be some adjustments made after FF when I have enough turnbuckles for every line but we'll see.

Mk2 of the upper radiator is done and installed. Looks much cleaner and more scale than MK1.

I don't see the rib stitching getting done before FF. I'll probably get the remaining decals on this week and then deal with rib stitching down the road if I feel like it would really improve the model. We'll see.

284440722_1616113015437719_8075030688928607887_n.jpg

285431286_1830886387311715_164565777685560426_n.jpg

282769260_316563777339640_8280579771586377764_n.jpg

282433532_410120777669014_7547137067061758521_n.jpg

Ligbaer

50 Percenter
VERY close now. Struts are installed (still need to fill in gap and recover). Flying wire installation is done well enough for FF. There may be some adjustments made after FF when I have enough turnbuckles for every line but we'll see.

Mk2 of the upper radiator is done and installed. Looks much cleaner and more scale than MK1.

I don't see the rib stitching getting done before FF. I'll probably get the remaining decals on this week and then deal with rib stitching down the road if I feel like it would really improve the model. We'll see.

View attachment 226668
View attachment 226669
View attachment 226670
View attachment 226671
Cool! cant wait for the maiden

cyclone3350

Master member

View attachment 226668
View attachment 226669
View attachment 226670
View attachment 226671
(y)(y)(y)

Baron VonHelton

Elite member

Yours is the first Albatros to have Upper lozenge underneath & vice versa! It looks very strange to me, but as you said, it's NOT historical. Looking forward to seeing the maiden video!

Salut!

(y)