Lemon Rx satellite for for a drone ?

alan0043

Hi Everyone,

I was curious to know if anyone is using a Lemon satellite receiver in their drones ? I need to use DSMX/DSM2 protocol because of my transmitter.

Thanks for any input,
Al

CrashRecovery

I'm a care bear...Really?
Mentor
If you are using one I would not fly them with a group of other DSMX flyers. We see them brown out all the time at fliefest even when there is a small amount of people flying. Also they seem to be prone to other signals blocking them. I would be careful with what I put them in.

LitterBug

Techno Nut
I've used the LemonRX satellites for years with DSMX with no problems. Even at FliteFest with many other people flying at the same time. I flew a flying spider drone during the final combat session in 2017. DSMX is the newer more robust protocol with channel hopping.

DSM2 is problematic in large groups for almost any RX.

Cheers!
LitterBug

Bricks

Master member
Have one in my 250 quad and have been at least 1/2 mile away with no problems just remember it needs to be bound with another receiver before installing it in a quad just makes it easier. Antennas need to be out and in the open that is the biggest issue with the satalights is the short antennas.

alan0043

Hi Everyone,

Thanks guys for the input. It looks like the Lemon is going to be my receiver of choice. Thank you guys for the positive feed back.

Al

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
I've been using one in my Nano Goblin for a couple years now, no issues whatsoever.

As has been mentioned before, though - make sure you're using a DSMX receiver, not a DSM2. DSM2 in the Lemon and Orange names have had issues with signal dropping out, especially when using them with large crowds. The nature of it has to do with DSM2 only using 2 channels to switch between, whereas DSMX uses significantly more to roll through and find open channels.

The only thing about most Lemon receivers that I don't like (and this is just personal preference) is that they don't have a case over them. I always feel like I'm going to hit something and break it, or that if I put velcro on it it's going to heat up and melt to it or something. I know it's probably all in my head, but it's what I think about when I'm flying with them exposed like that.

Bricks

Master member
The only Lemon receiver that does not have a case it the 6 channel light, if you want it comes with a wrap if one chooses to use it which I do not. I usually just use double sided tape to it or hot melt to stick it.

LitterBug

Techno Nut
The only Lemon receiver that does not have a case it the 6 channel light, if you want it comes with a wrap if one chooses to use it which I do not. I usually just use double sided tape to it or hot melt to stick it.

The Lemon satellites all have cases which I remove on nano builds. There are a few of the PWM and PPM RXes that don't have cases. May have been different in the past or at other vendors.
https://www.buddyrc.com/collections/radio-receivers

LB

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Yep - and those diversity ones are the ones I use because I'm too cheap to pay for the telemetry in a FT plane. :ROFLMAO:
If you want telemetry, switch to Frsky or one of the other OpenTX radios. I keep the spektrum around as a necessity for stuff I don't need telemetry and for BNF models.

alan0043

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
If you want telemetry, switch to Frsky or one of the other OpenTX radios. I keep the spektrum around as a necessity for stuff I don't need telemetry and for BNF models.

Spektrum has telemetry modules, and it's not an issue for me to use it. I just can't justify telemetry in a cheapie airplane like a FT model. It's kind of like putting Hitec digital servos and a really high quality Castle ESC onto a plane made specifically for combat events - I can't justify the need or expense.

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Hi LitterBug,

Thanks for post to the link. I like how you think. I ordered one from Buddy RC yesterday afternoon. It's nice to help support a hobby shop from your own state (Ohio). It's on it's way.

Hey LitterBug, are you from the Columbus area ?

Al
Yes I am in the Hilliard area. How about you.

LB

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Spektrum has telemetry modules, and it's not an issue for me to use it. I just can't justify telemetry in a cheapie airplane like a FT model. It's kind of like putting Hitec digital servos and a really high quality Castle ESC onto a plane made specifically for combat events - I can't justify the need or expense.

I don't use telemetry on everything, but for quads and anything with NAV, it is nice to be able to have the FC dump everything back over the telemetry link. Spektrum has been VERY late to the game, and telemetry support on FC firmware can still be hit or miss.

LB