LHCP vs RHCP by looking?

rslegge

I have a 5.8Ghz circular polarized antenna that I need to replace, but I can not determine whether it is LHCP or RHCP. This sounds like a simple question, but I can not find the answer anywhere I have looked and the box it came in does not say.

Looking at the one I have from the side, the antenna wire lobes slope down to the right from the top (center wire) to the bottom (shield and screw in outer connector).

Looking at it from the top, the antenna lobes slope down counter clockwise from the top to the bottom.

How can I tell the polarization of my antenna by looking at it?

Thanks

dayve

This is the best description I can find. If you read his explanation, he describes it as if he's traveling along the wire, so I think his "right" and "left" are opposite what you're calling "right" and "left" when you look at the antenna from the side. The picture probably helps, though.

IMG_5560-600x450.jpg

razor02097

Rogue Drone Pilot
I have a 5.8Ghz circular polarized antenna that I need to replace, but I can not determine whether it is LHCP or RHCP. This sounds like a simple question, but I can not find the answer anywhere I have looked and the box it came in does not say.

Looking at the one I have from the side, the antenna wire lobes slope down to the right from the top (center wire) to the bottom (shield and screw in outer connector).

Looking at it from the top, the antenna lobes slope down counter clockwise from the top to the bottom.

How can I tell the polarization of my antenna by looking at it?

Thanks

Hold one of the lobes so the wire coming from the center is vertical. At the top of the lobe if the wire turns right it is RHCP. If it turns left it is LHCP.

It sounds like you have a LHCP antenna there.

rslegge

Thanks dayve and razor02097, the pictures and descriptions are exactly what I needed. My antenna is a LHCP, now I know what replacement to order. Your quick responses are appreciated.

By the way, I have noticed that if you mix the polarizations your range is diminished by at least 30%.

Last edited: