Life of the Simple Scout...

moret

Thank you both, Battleaxe and Hanger.
Battery Run time: I can't find a published number the safe run time of a 1300mah with power pack B motor for the Simple Scout. You guys know?

Guy here are getting way more time then me. I use 3S 2200 on the B pack and have the timer set for 9 minute.
But. I like to land with the cells around 3.8 and also have enough to miss a landing and come back around.

Daniel Liutan

Screen Shot 2019-09-23 at 10.29.19 am copy.jpg

Screen Shot 2019-09-23 at 10.29.01 am copy.jpg

I put two FT Sparrow Wings and FT scouter together to make a biplane.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-09-23 at 10.29.19 am copy.jpg
    Screen Shot 2019-09-23 at 10.29.19 am copy.jpg
    288.7 KB · Views: 0

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
My DX6e cost me $169 for just the transmitter. Then the AR620 was another $39.99
The E is for economy I think. Cheaper version of the DX6 and has voice and some dual receiver.
With the DX6e you can do all your programming from the screen and menu.
I understand with the DXE you have no screen and need a smartphone or PC to program it..
I have no problem with AR620 and the built in antennas keeps them out of the way.
I have been buying admiral receivers from motionrc just because they are cheaper and work with the DX6e.
The DX6e has a timer and I will set it for 5-6 minutes on a new motor / battery size. land, check the battery and adjust as needed.
And as stated, you really need a battery checker ( under $10 ) to get a ideal on how long to fly. Try not to run them down to the volage cut off point.

Good luck and don't even try to keep up with BATTLEAX on the number of planes you built:)
Haha...I am trying to save him the grief, gone through enough for the both of us. The DXe I have I program of the laptop. A screen would definitely be more convenient. Although the laptop is capable of anything you find on a Tx screen.

Hey do you know how to program dual ailerons? I have the option on my programmer but it doesn't work for one of the ailerons. @Grifflyer said I might have to program it through program it through the receiver. I use Lemons, can that be done or is there something I am missing in the transmitter programming

Headbang

Master member
Today was my first time out with the ar620. It is super convenient to bind. Seemed to work flawlessly. Nothing wrong with spectrum, I just suggest one goes with the dx6 or better. Personally I use ar6600t and ar8010t receivers for most of my planes. I thought I had issues with lemon recievers, but I have since diagnosed my issues to esc failure and not reciever issues. I have 4 lemon recievers with tons of flights no issues now. As far as graupner.... they are good, but limit your options, you will have to stick to plug n play planes, and not bind n fly. My suggestion is use what others around you who can help you use.

Headbang

Master member
Haha...I am trying to save him the grief, gone through enough for the both of us. The DXe I have I program of the laptop. A screen would definitely be more convenient. Although the laptop is capable of anything you find on a Tx screen.

Hey do you know how to program dual ailerons? I have the option on my programmer but it doesn't work for one of the ailerons. @Grifflyer said I might have to program it through program it through the receiver. I use Lemons, can that be done or is there something I am missing in the transmitter programming
Mix Ail with aux1 (ch6) normal, 100, 100. If it is reversed then make it -100, -100.
In channel assign you need to set aux1 to aux1, and input to inhibit.
This what the tx does when setting dual ail. And I know it works cause I did on a viggen today!

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Guy here are getting way more time then me. I use 3S 2200 on the B pack and have the timer set for 9 minute.
But. I like to land with the cells around 3.8 and also have enough to miss a landing and come back around.
I fly pretty slow and “scale” with my scout. Not much full throttle. When I feel like going crazy, flight time is definitely shorter.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Today was my first time out with the ar620. It is super convenient to bind. Seemed to work flawlessly. Nothing wrong with spectrum, I just suggest one goes with the dx6 or better. Personally I use ar6600t and ar8010t receivers for most of my planes. I thought I had issues with lemon recievers, but I have since diagnosed my issues to esc failure and not reciever issues. I have 4 lemon recievers with tons of flights no issues now. As far as graupner.... they are good, but limit your options, you will have to stick to plug n play planes, and not bind n fly. My suggestion is use what others around you who can help you use.
Good advice thanks. I am sticking with the Lemons for now, I have the least amount of issues besides having to re-solder the antenna's back on today
Mix Ail with aux1 (ch6) normal, 100, 100. If it is reversed then make it -100, -100.
This what the tx does when setting dual ail. And I know it works cause I did on a viggen today!
Thanks for the tip appreciate it. I'll try that

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Everything is check marked "link", is that right?

moret

I never have. But I have not programmed elevons till tonight. You know you really need to stop. :) I was not even thinking about a F22 till you started your build. Had to drive to the big city to get foam board because our local store was out, man you are costing me. But I had the motor, ESC, and servos from my old scout that I was letting new guys fly, or try to fly.

1569214015170.png

By dual ailerons you are saying that you are using 2 servos but no "Y" cable. Just like you was doing flaperons. This is from my DX6e book so your left aileron would be in AUX 1 or port 6 and your right would be in the aileron port or port 2. On my DX6e dual ailerons is just another selection from the type menu. My timber can be programmed so that the flaps can be mixed with the ailerons to give you full wing ailerons but that is using 4 servos and mixing. That is also way more control surface then I can handle.
I am using an admiral receiver for the F22 and just remember it had gyro's so I need to do some more testing before I hit the field

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
I never have. But I have not programmed elevons till tonight. You know you really need to stop. :) I was not even thinking about a F22 till you started your build. Had to drive to the big city to get foam board because our local store was out, man you are costing me. But I had the motor, ESC, and servos from my old scout that I was letting new guys fly, or try to fly.

View attachment 143331

By dual ailerons you are saying that you are using 2 servos but no "Y" cable. Just like you was doing flaperons. This is from my DX6e book so your left aileron would be in AUX 1 or port 6 and your right would be in the aileron port or port 2. On my DX6e dual ailerons is just another selection from the type menu. My timber can be programmed so that the flaps can be mixed with the ailerons to give you full wing ailerons but that is using 4 servos and mixing. That is also way more control surface then I can handle.
I am using an admiral receiver for the F22 and just remember it had gyro's so I need to do some more testing before I hit the field
Get excited about this F-22 man, just posted some more revisions. Build one and post on there as well.

The dual aileron thing is something I haven't been able to figure out with the programming side. Yes its two servos, no Y connector, port 6. No go

Marty72

Elite member
Updated: The parts came in so today I finished building, tested, cg, retested and touching up the Scout. As a first build, I made my share of mistakes, but the mistakes become obvious as I proceeded (so I stopped to correct them). The plane came out pretty well, but with no experience, I spent too much time on cuts that didn't matter and not enough time on cuts that were very important (The downside of doing a scratch build for your first build). All part of the learning curve (and for me, a big part of the enjoyment). So it's fully operational, 4 channel, B Power Pack, and AR 620 receiver.
I'll likely maiden in the next week or two (as I'm still learning to fly with the Crash Cub).

So Thursday night my new transmitter, DX6E, came in. I spent a fair amount of time learning how to program it and programming the Crash Cub in there. It goes through double A batteries like nobodies business (at least while programming). I set up 3 modes for the Crash Cub, low rate, 70/30, med rate 85/30 and hi rate 100/30. I also did that for the Simple Scout.

So Friday morning I took the Crash Cub out with the new transmitter. Wow! What a difference, that damn $3 game boy transmitter that came with the Crash Cub was about 80% of my problems. I don't need beginner mode with this transmitter when I put it in the low rates. I flew in experience mode and at one point, I wasn't sure if it was in beginner mode (so I had to double check) because it was so damn easy. But later, the wind picked up and beginner mode made quite a bit of difference. The $3 game boy transmitter had two faults, one it was way to sensitive even in low rates (so I porpoised all the time) and two it would lose contact with the plane often (so I flew close). Expo makes a huge difference! (at least for me).

So Friday was the first day that I really felt like I was flying the plane and not the electronics. I also did my first loop (but really sloppy). I'm hoping to get a couple more flights with the Crash Cub before I maiden the S Scout. I want to mess around with the Scout some more, make sure everything is solid, recheck the cg and taxis it around the driveway. I also want to learn everything I can from the Crash Cub before I go out with S Scout. I'm trying to be as prepared for maiden day as possible.

Oh, a side note: I used the flossing pick for the horns. However, I found an issue with the picks, the holes were too big creating slop. I filled the hole with jb weld (my go to) and pushed a large pin through it. worked great, removed the slop.
IMG_1780.JPG

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
That's a sweet looking Scout my friend, really nice for a first build and not a SBK. The paint is so spec as well.

One thing I would watch out for would be the cowl cover you have over the front of the motor, just keep an eye on the motor if it gets to hot you could cook the motor. Usually it stays open for airflow, and the air moving through the fuse will help cool the ESC as well. Do you have the battery mounting under the power pod?

Nice avatar by the way

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Updated: The parts came in so today I finished building, tested, cg, retested and touching up the Scout. As a first build, I made my share of mistakes, but the mistakes become obvious as I proceeded (so I stopped to correct them). The plane came out pretty well, but with no experience, I spent too much time on cuts that didn't matter and not enough time on cuts that were very important (The downside of doing a scratch build for your first build). All part of the learning curve (and for me, a big part of the enjoyment). So it's fully operational, 4 channel, B Power Pack, and AR 620 receiver.
I'll likely maiden in the next week or two (as I'm still learning to fly with the Crash Cub).

So Thursday night my new transmitter, DX6E, came in. I spent a fair amount of time learning how to program it and programming the Crash Cub in there. It goes through double A batteries like nobodies business (at least while programming). I set up 3 modes for the Crash Cub, low rate, 70/30, med rate 85/30 and hi rate 100/30. I also did that for the Simple Scout.

So Friday morning I took the Crash Cub out with the new transmitter. Wow! What a difference, that damn $3 game boy transmitter that came with the Crash Cub was about 80% of my problems. I don't need beginner mode with this transmitter when I put it in the low rates. I flew in experience mode and at one point, I wasn't sure if it was in beginner mode (so I had to double check) because it was so damn easy. But later, the wind picked up and beginner mode made quite a bit of difference. The $3 game boy transmitter had two faults, one it was way to sensitive even in low rates (so I porpoised all the time) and two it would lose contact with the plane often (so I flew close). Expo makes a huge difference! (at least for me).

So Friday was the first day that I really felt like I was flying the plane and not the electronics. I also did my first loop (but really sloppy). I'm hoping to get a couple more flights with the Crash Cub before I maiden the S Scout. I want to mess around with the Scout some more, make sure everything is solid, recheck the cg and taxis it around the driveway. I also want to learn everything I can from the Crash Cub before I go out with S Scout. I'm trying to be as prepared for maiden day as possible.

Oh, a side note: I used the flossing pick for the horns. However, I found an issue with the picks, the holes were too big creating slop. I filled the hole with jb weld (my go to) and pushed a large pin through it. worked great, removed the slop. View attachment 143815
Beautiful job! Glad the dx6e helped - it’s a great transmitter, isn’t it? The expo sure makes a difference! The floss picks should work well. I use old broken props now as I ten out of the ft control horn 20 pack I bought😂. As @BATTLEAXE said, the motor might get a little warm with the cover, but I don’t think it will be a big issue since it looks like you will just be running two batteries. The cover is a really nice addition though! I’m thinking about trying some rechargeable AA batteries since it really does eat the battery power! Seems to do so less when flying which is nice.

Marty72

Elite member
Wow, thanks for all the comments. Yeah, I didn't even think about air flow, duh. I used ugly credit cards for the fire wall and I didn't think I'd see them when the build was finished. I did, so I thought I'd clean up the front not even thinking about heat. I'll make a new grill with air flow, as yeah that thing definitely has no air flow. I also notice this morning I didn't do a good job of centering up the bore around the radial engine, I should open that up as well. I may just poke holes in the existing one after I finish with pictures. After the first crash, I'll add the new grill. The build is pretty much spec, the battery is up front. The only thing I changed was the firewall, horns and The grill.

Painting hack I came up with, maybe it's well known. ha Anyway, I sprayed some spray paint into the paint cap and used a small cheap brush to touch up spray painted areas (seams, glue, mars, ect) instead of masking and touching up. Works great, you just have to act fast.

Marty72

Elite member
Picture day. I had to get pics before I bust it up. I have a question, transmitter settings, do most beginners fly The S Scout at 100%/ 30% expo? I've built spec, I've got +/- 12 of elev,rudder and Elev. I did some taxi play with the Scout, handles pretty well dragging it's tail, easier to taxi than the Crash Cub.

I got a lot of flying in this morning (almost an hour of flying time) with the Crash Cub, trying to take off, fly and land without SAFE. I had a few crashes today (got a little sloppy), fairly mild, did require some engine mount work, though. The Crash Cub is doing it's job, as I continue to improve. Once I get to where I just don't use the SAFE (beginner mode) to save me, I'll be up for flying the SS.

Had to include a pic of the hound and the plane. I may put a mini version of her in the cockpit, ha. How can you not laugh at those ears?

IMG_1794.JPG

Headbang

Master member
Picture day. I had to get pics before I bust it up. I have a question, transmitter settings, do most beginners fly The S Scout at 100%/ 30% expo? I've built spec, I've got +/- 12 of elev,rudder and Elev. I did some taxi play with the Scout, handles pretty well dragging it's tail, easier to taxi than the Crash Cub.

I got a lot of flying in this morning (almost an hour of flying time) with the Crash Cub, trying to take off, fly and land without SAFE. I had a few crashes today (got a little sloppy), fairly mild, did require some engine mount work, though. The Crash Cub is doing it's job, as I continue to improve. Once I get to where I just don't use the SAFE (beginner mode) to save me, I'll be up for flying the SS.

Had to include a pic of the hound and the plane. I may put a mini version of her in the cockpit, ha. How can you not laugh at those ears?

View attachment 143871
That pic makes me want to build one! Maybe a little bigger, 130% with the 800w motor I have laying around. Maybe this winter sometime.

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor

View attachment 143871
I love the picture! It sounds like you got the recommended low rate - is that right? If so, then with 30% expo you should be good to go! Good luck!

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
70/30, med rate 85/30 and hi rate 100/30. I also did that for the Simple Scout.
These rates are pretty good, I have even gone as low as 60% rates on the low end. You could set them up differently for every control surfaces separately as well, doesn't have to be same across the board. Go with what you have since that's what you are getting used to on the Cub.

The dog in the pic is awesome, should put a flying scarf on.

Keep up the good work Bro