local hobby shop

Ron B

Posted a thousand or more times
I have a 70 + mi round trip to make to get what I need from my lhs and had ordered a new set of motors for my Delta Ray from them and when I called today to see if they were in I was informed that they couldn't order them for me as they were closing their doors at the end of the month. There is also a hobby town a couple of miles from them but the people there are not very knowlegable so you are pretty much on your own. I like the means of being able to get things locally when I need them and not have to wait to get it.
Sad to say it looks like this is the trend for this hobby and it will hurt those just getting into it as that may be their only real source for the information they need. It will hurt us all as we will soon have to order every thing and wait on it to get in and will have very little recourse if the product is faulty.
I do order some things and so far those I have dealt with have been great about getting what I need and doing so in a timely manner. They have been very helpful in answering questions I have had. Sometimes it has taken a LOT of searching to find the things I needed and if the different parts would work. Case in point was finding out if certain props were available in cw and ccw rotation and if they would even fit the motors I am using on my scratch build, That took almost 2 weeks to get the info. and now I will be about 3 weeks getting my parts as China was on a holiday.
So please support your lhs as much as you can as they can be an invaluable source for info as well as parts.

Last edited:

ViperTech

Sorry to hear that! I would support my LHS but unless you have a heli or ground based vehicle you are out of luck plus the price is 2 to 3 x's as much so what can a plank pilot do? Internet is what I have to do!

RAM

Posted a thousand or more times
I try to support local business but one hobby shop in my area will no longer get my business. He sold me his leftover junk when I needed rubber bands and prop savers. They all snapped like they were dry rotted. Probably had them on the shelf for 20yrs. That, and he kept trying to sell me something I didn't want just because it's what he had on the shelf. I'm pretty sure he is also on his way out and is just trying to reduce inventory any way he can. FliteTest is what is bringing this hobby back from the dead. Too late though for some of the old time local hobby shops I think.

Tactical Ex

I've said this before, local hobby shops have no excuse. It is so incredibly easy to get set up online through ebay or Amazon these days(though I wouldn't recommend Amazon) that if they are closing because they cant maintain a brick and mortar store to sell overpriced parts to less knowledgeable noobies then I wouldn't be sad. Let me be clear, I would never wish someone out of work and there is a personal element to local hobby stores that can (albeit rare) be had if the right people are working there but I have heard and experienced all too many times how hobby shop employees are rude and unfriendly and just turn off newcomers to the hobby. I tried to get into planes many times before Flite Test and it never happened because I got the wrong information or the wrong attitude from the guys at the hobby shop. Times are changing and in this case, I think for the better.

rcspaceflight

creator of virtual planes
I've been to two local hobby shops. One is focused on trains, but has one or two RTFs. (I think the Hobby Zone Champ, not sure what the other one was if they had one.) The other LHS is focused on cars but has quite a few RTFs and spare parts for them. They also have a selection of motors, receivers, batteries, props, but the selection isn't the best and ... well I don't think it's over priced. It looks like the high quality stuff. Needless to say it's out of my price range.

It's probably because I didn't step into the LHS that actually has a good selection of stuff until after I knew a lot about this hobby. But to me it doesn't seem worth the 40 minute drive. When I was there I almost bought Real Flight with the Tx. LHSs do seem great for the RTFs and similar items. But for individual items, the web seems like the way to go and I'm more of a scratch builder.

frogman

RCSpaceFlight next time you are over on the east side of Madison you need to get over to Hobby Horse near the mall. They are more plane focused. The manager/owner was flying at the Fly in where you met me. The guy running the flyin even works there. Granted, like many other LHS their prices are much higher but I noticed the other day they are starting to get some less pricey batteries in. I do get props and other small stuff from them from time to time. They are pilots there and have a huge selection of stuff...even saw some old retro kits there Monday when I stopped by to look around. Even saw a glider kit for the first glider I built back in the 80s. The Sig Riser.

Montiey

Master Tinkerer
Man im glad my lhs is a sponsor of a flying club

Is it HobbyHangar? thats were I go when I need parts that the smaller LHS (Hobby Works) doesn't have. HobbyHangar is the shop that mainly sponsors DC-RC in germantown, but there are probably other shops and other clubs near you if thats not it. I live in Maryland too. :D

SGrog

It was a local hobby shop that got me into RC aircraft some 7 years ago. Ive been off and on in that time, and have done a lot more flight simulator then RC flying unfortunately, but since finding Flite Test, have definitely been getting more into it once again! The nearest hobby store doesnt have a lot for RC aircraft, mainly in small indoor flyers, and insanely expensive batteries that weigh a ton, but I have met some fellow fliers from the area which was neat. One of the fellow fliers pointed me to a "local" store some 30+ miles away, but it was like being a kid in a candy shop when I got there. They area a two man operation, but have everything you can think of and were very knowledgeable! Its nice to be hands on with equipment!

Jnr Kuzi

Nalimyebeleni (Bemba for "I Told You Guys")

This is exactly what i was talking about last time in my "stop depending on online stores" but became angry and thought i was talking from without and that i was creating conspiracy where they wasnt one.
Now who's to say that when all Local Hobby Stores are shut down, those online stores wont multiply there prices?
Even if a LHS is expensive, support it, because the more clients it gets, the cheaper the products become due to the fact that it wont have to struggle with paying rent and other bills and will also be able to buy product in bulk for their huge clientele.

Montiey

Master Tinkerer
No I'm over by delaware. gforce hobbies

Oh. Just thinking. Would be quite a coincidence! :p

And yes!! Buy from your LHS as much as possible. Real people offer real advice, real support, and buying from an LHS is another way to make good friends.

Asuma

Guy at my LHS says that DJI has the patent on having integrated pcb on their frames. And that any frame that has an integrated pcb is breaking patent law. He specifically pointed out how Chinese companies are destroying the hobby. They also flat out say parallel charging your batteries ruins them.

With advise like this is it any wonder why they are failing?

saiga556

Full of...
LHSs often remind me of many Gun Shops I've been to. Many times you're greeted by myopic staff that either cant be bothered to help you or go over board and wont leave you alone. Even worse is when browsing you feel like you're being rushed to either "hurry up and buy" or get out.

Here in Kansas City the pickins are slim for Hobby shops up here in the northland we have a hobbytown and down south there is a Hobby Haven. They both have there ups and downs. Around here they obviously cater to the surface side of RC.

All that being said, I always try to support the local stores when there limited inventories allow. Just about a week ago I tried to buy a Spektrum DX6 from Hobby Haven but they didn't have one that came with the extra free rx. So back to the internet I was forced.

Winglet

I'm very grateful for Hobby Haven in Kansas City. They have been around for a long long time and have had my business for most of it. They have a very experienced and friendly staff. I was there today and picked up a little package of some odd little Dubro screws a 3mm prop adapter and some little 3mm washers. I will probably go back this weekend to pickup a DX6 transmitter. They demonstrated it to me today and yes they do offer the free receiver. The Spectrum advertisement for it is actually taped to the counter. I noticed today that they even have Fatsharkar products now!

This is a well run and busy shop. It always seems busy. I hope it stays that way. I will do my part by supporting them every chance I get because I would certainly hate to lose them. Support your LHS first if you possibly can.

saiga556

Full of...
I'm very grateful for Hobby Haven in Kansas City

me too. Please don't take the negative things I said about shops in general as a slam on either hobby haven or hobbytown. I appreciate them both. I have been to lots of hobby shops all over and sometimes I have noticed the negative traits that I explained before.

You'll love That dx6.

earthsciteach

The many stories of "unfriendly" local hobby shops have basis. I don't understand the mentality of an LHS that does not welcome new customers and doesn't go out of its way to make people feel welcome. I have experienced this, firsthand.

Local hobby shops can't hope to compete with online vendors in terms of price. The ONLY thing they have to set themselves apart is face-to-face service. I don't understand why so many don't get it.

brentg

I am lucky to have 2 LHS about 20-30 mins away one Hobbytown with knowledged helpful staff and a independent
that has been slipping lately about being freindly, but i think they sell more on ebay store than they do
at their local store..

I think with a hobby shop like hobbytown they are a franchise and are limited to what they
can carry because of distributor, which my hobbytown deals with horizon, so if i want something
that they can get thru horizon, i order it, and most of the time it is same price as online without shipping
just pay sales tax.

The independent lhs carries a little more diverse stuff but wont carry anything that
might compete with the name brand stuff, not many deals.. i have bought from them for 20yrs + but it is getting
harder and harder to justify 44 bucks for a 1 eflite 2200 3s battery when i can get 3 gforce 2200/3s/30c for
a couple bucks more and shipping, i try to balance online and local shopping..

rcspaceflight

creator of virtual planes
RCSpaceFlight next time you are over on the east side of Madison you need to get over to Hobby Horse near the mall. They are more plane focused. The manager/owner was flying at the Fly in where you met me. The guy running the flyin even works there. Granted, like many other LHS their prices are much higher but I noticed the other day they are starting to get some less pricey batteries in. I do get props and other small stuff from them from time to time. They are pilots there and have a huge selection of stuff...even saw some old retro kits there Monday when I stopped by to look around. Even saw a glider kit for the first glider I built back in the 80s. The Sig Riser.

I might have to check it out when I have money. lol. (I seriously am currently taking a break from actual flying and I plan on saving up so I can get back into it with vengeance this spring.)

The decent hobby store I was talking about was in Monona. At least that area of Madison. I don't remember what the store was called.

Now that I know how to get a plane to last me a long time, I want to buy a plane that can actually last. DTFB doesn't seem to hold up well. I definitely prefer to go to a LHS to buy an ARF rather than an online store. So I'm sure I'll be hitting up Hobby Horse this spring. Thanks for the recommendation frogman.

frogman

RCSpaceFlight, The hobby shop in Monona is called Performance RC and Hobby. They have a decent selection of planes but are definitely car centric. Wait till you see the stuff at Hobby Horse. Right now they are loaded with lots of planes. From RTF to old retro balsa kits. They sell lots of Horizon and FMS stuff.