local hobby shop

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
You just pushed my rant button...

I've been obsessing on this for many years. I remember as a lad going to the local hobby shop, and it was amazing, all sorts of balsa kits, plastic models, trains, books, and it was all crammed into a wing of this family's house. The father and son ran the business. The old man would sit in his corner, and he would build the most amazing aircraft out of balsa. Whenever I tried, I'd end up with a disjointed collection of somewhat connected balsa sticks, some of which were semi permanently glued to my hands. As amazing as it was, I remember the feeling that the customers were supposed to feel lucky that they were there. Which was something they could get away with back then. Your choices for purchasing hobby gear was either at the hobby shop, or through mail order. Shipping wasn't cheap, and the delay was painful. So you went with the hobby shop more often than not.

Then came the internet. Clubs that felt alienated by their hobby shops would share the newest sites where you could find the best deals. They would steer the new guys away from the brick and mortar locations and tell them the internet was where things were. Now when you'd walk into the LHS, and they told you something wasn't in stock, but they could order it for you, but it would take 4-6 weeks. Well, I can order it myself, and for less money, and often get it quicker!

The realization that it was easier and cheaper to buy online hadn't sunk in on the LHS guys. They still had the mentality that you should walk into their shop full of gratitude. Only now when I'd visit a shop, no longer was it covered from floor to ceiling, (and often all over the ceiling as well) in hobby awesomeness, instead I'd find half empty shelves, and the promise that "we can order that for you". Speaking with the shop owners, there was a bitterness about internet shops, as if that was the only problem they faced. And you did NOT mention Hobby King without spitting after saying the name. That would likely get you kicked out of the shop in a hurry.

In my many hours of dwelling on the situation, I came to realize the problem wasn't that the internet guys were selling the same stuff cheaper, it was that the LHS wasn't selling something they could compete with. The mantra was preached that "well you're not getting the customer service on the internet that you'd get at the shop". That may have been true to a point. If you found a shop that wasn't staffing a teen who was only interested in rc cars, and you actually got the owner to talk to you about your problem you might be ok. But only if you were asking about a balsa plane, using a nitro engine and a 72 mHz radio. If you dared ask about lipo batteries, electric motors and 2.4 transmitter systems, you'd be dismissed with "you don't need any of that toy crap, you need a good dependable plane to learn on."

I don't know how many times I've witnessed, (or participated in) the steering of a newbie away from the hobby shop after seeing the soul crushing that the LHS salesman bestowed upon the poor guy who walked into the shop wanting to know how to get into the hobby. Finding out that the "only" way to start out was with $500-$1000 worth of investment into a box of sticks, glues, covering, covering irons, t-pins, nitro motor, starter, battery for the starter, glow plugs, glow heaters, hours of difficult build time, and the nearly ensured failure that would result in the destruction of your hard work and large investment.

Then add to that soul crushing the continued ego decimating effect that the wrong club has on the guy who gets directed to them by the hobby shop, to "find someone to teach them" and the new guy runs into the wall of "old flying buddies" that aren't interested in any newbs coming in and bothering their talking with annoying flying questions.

What I think is needed is a completely new way for the LHS to go about developing customer loyalty. Don't put your new hobby shop in a strip mall or worse, a shopping mall. Sure there's more "traffic" there, but men don't mall. A couple guys mentioned that their LHS sponsor a field. I say take it a step further, the LHS should own their own field. Instead of the customer that comes in, checks out what's on the shelf, goes home to look for the reviews on the internet. Then decides that because it's ten bucks cheaper online (even though it's got a $30 shipping fee) that they'll order it rather than getting it from the LHS. Instead of all of that, you have a customer that you can put on the flight sim, take them out to buddy box with a plane that you stock, and then sell them the plane that they now feel comfortable flying.

Sure, time invested might be more than what the profit margin was worth on that kit. But you've just created a loyal customer. Not only that, as the people who arrive with the interested of using the flying field increases, you'll likely find many of them interested in mentoring the new pilots. Instead of a customer base that's turning away new customers, you get a group who has an active interest in keeping the shop viable. Fields are getting harder to find. And while sure you can go fly many of the new planes at just about any open space, and the multirotors can be flown anywhere larger than the aircraft itself, we like community. We like flying with each other, and we like gathering for events. (Did you notice the success of Flite Fest 2014? Huge turn out for their first try at such an event.)

I also think that build nights would be a great idea. Hobby shops that team up with Flite Test, sell their kits and organize gathering like what went in in the build tent at FF14. Even if you let the customers bring their own HobbyKing electronics, they're still going to forget things, and want to buy them from the shop so they can complete their builds. And if the hobby shops had a more "if you can't beat them, join them" mentality and carried some of the budget electronics instead of just writing off anything that didn't come from Tower Hobbies or Horizon Hobby as "junk" maybe they'd be able to get the new guys with a limited budget in the door. As they grow in their flying confidence, and need for more quality gear, then they'll buy the more expensive stuff from the shop.

Did I mention that I have a rant button?

Ron B

Posted a thousand or more times
Flying Monkey
I am glad I pushed your rant button.
When i got into the hobby the first time 42 yrs. ago we had a great lhs. and I bought all my stuff from them They also belonged to our local club and flew at our field a lot.
Now I am back in the hobby again and it is a LOT cheaper and a lot different ( electric vs. gas) The lhs knows his stuff and is helpful that is the part that I am going to miss. I started out this spring as a noob but had had experience so many yrs before that I wan't a complete noob but a noob just the same. This forum is very helpful but noobs still need someone face to face to help them get going as all the things you have to learn from the start is daunting. Yes what I buy from the lhs is usually more costly than online most of the time online can't tell me what I really need to make it work. ( I do order from a couple of online sources and one of them will answer questions when he can but it may take a while to get the answer)
Now if someone wants to get into the hobby and lives in a rural area how are they going to learn? If they are lucky enough to find flight test and order a sbk and get an electronics package it will help them get into it and if they get a sim. it will help them START to learn to fly.
Things change and the way we buy things change but it is sad that we are losing the interaction that we used to have and I like the way you expressed it very well.
I hope I am able to push your rant button more often

Jnr Kuzi

Shout out to Flyingmonkey. "Kudos"

@FlyingMonkey
im happy with the point you've put out.
But then if we really want to see change, we have to work together to achieve and not wait/hope for other people to bring it for us.

Here is an Idea.

Lets say 5-10pilots from every city in america come together and form a committee that buys lots of Products from china at who sale prices and them comes to sale them at cheaper prices through local hobbystores.

The Problem with local hobby stores is that they only sale Over branded high quality expensive products while forgeting that with our current economical status (worldwide) people are becoming more and more frugal (cheap).
So chinese products are the way to go.
People are able to get into the hobby, enjoy just as much.
Most people fail to get into the hobby not because it isnt interesting or childish but because it is soooo freaking expensive to buy stuff Locally or online without any proper knowledge.

If you guys like the idea, i can start a thread on how exactly we can achieve this.
Peace

stay-fun

Helicopter addict
Flyingmonkey, that is a GREAT idea! LHS's should do that! And from my perspective, I'll have simply more places to go :applause:

The reason I don't buy at the LHS is that they usually don't have what I want. In the very rare case that they do, it's 4x more expensive than online (no joke!).

We like flying with each other, and we like gathering for events. (Did you notice the success
of Flite Fest 2014? Huge turn out for their first try at such an event.)

Umm yeah, but the community was created online... :rolleyes: But you do have a point ;)

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
Umm yeah, but the community was created online... :rolleyes: But you do have a point ;)

Created by a few guys out of a basement.

There's several hobby shops that are developing their own communities, there's also many shops that are taking advantage of the community that is here.

I do not think that the FT guys would object to LHS's that had their own fields cooperating to not only create new places for us to fly, provide goods and services to our community and give us additional events to gather at.

When Josh mentioned the "destination location" I all but cheered. That I think is the model that will work. Provide a location, services, training, and fellowship. All of the things that you can't get with a click of a mouse.

rcspaceflight

creator of virtual planes
I do remember as a kid going to a LHS and wanting to buy an RC plane. I was told to start with a glider and I let the employee convince me to go that route. They also sold the exact same glider with a motor on it, but I was still told to buy the glider and that I could add a motor later.

A glider isn't exactly the same thing. Especially since I knew little about a "high start". So I didn't finish building the ARF and didn't actually get into the hobby until about 15 years later. I had spent my budget. Throwing a glider and controlling it for maybe a minute didn't sound like fun. So I didn't have the motivation to really try it.

I'm still undecided if I was given "bad" advice or not. It's great advice, and yet, not. If I remember correctly, the store really didn't offer much. Maybe at that time there wasn't a good beginner plane like there is now. I'd think if there was one, they would have stocked it.

brentg

@FlyingMonkey
im happy with the point you've put out.
But then if we really want to see change, we have to work together to achieve and not wait/hope for other people to bring it for us.

Here is an Idea.

Lets say 5-10pilots from every city in america come together and form a committee that buys lots of Products from china at who sale prices and them comes to sale them at cheaper prices through local hobbystores.

The Problem with local hobby stores is that they only sale Over branded high quality expensive products while forgeting that with our current economical status (worldwide) people are becoming more and more frugal (cheap).
So chinese products are the way to go.
People are able to get into the hobby, enjoy just as much.
Most people fail to get into the hobby not because it isnt interesting or childish but because it is soooo freaking expensive to buy stuff Locally or online without any proper knowledge.

If you guys like the idea, i can start a thread on how exactly we can achieve this.
Peace

I like your idea, but "independent" LHS can already do that if they want to vs. Franchise shops that are sometimes bound to what brands they can sell. I went to a independent LHS shop in Detroit that my Brother-in-law told me they had what i was looking for there, wanted to buy some orange rec/sats, I could not find them, and asked a employee about them, he opened a drawer under the counter and it was filled with receivers, motors and batteries, I asked why hide them, his response was, If i put these out my sale of spektrum brand would go down, less profit margin, same with motors and batteries, I sell them if somebody asks for them... My point is that they know they could not sell offbrand products at the same wholesale cost vs retail prices as they can with branded products, so in most cases chose not to....by the way the Orange receiver and sat pkg was $6 dollars more than online prices.

Last edited:

Asuma

I dont mind paying a LITTLE more for the convenience of having it right now and the (hopefully) bonus of having local support for the product.
But at least in my area. The LHS gouges on prices. And they only sell horizon hobby stuff. Nothing against horizon hobby.

jksbusiness

My local hobby shop experience!

I am new to the world of flight. I have been online watching videos, reading the forum and collecting a lot of great information for several weeks. I had a few questions, so I visited my LHS and asked the sales rep if he could help me find some items on my scratch build electronics list. The guy tried to help, but got very discouraged when he couldn't find any of the parts that I needed. Many items were dusty and over priced. So I just stayed to talk about what I was learning and left an hour later with a charger bag, prop protector and a battery charger.
Sadly, I was not satisfied with the plastic housing on the charger. It had a warped connector port and I thought it might be a possible fire hazard. I returned the charger to the LHS the next day. The guy at the desk was very rude and tried to pursuade me to keep the item or accept a store credit. I told him about a charger that I had seen on the FT site. He informed me that HE was the expert, and to not believe everything that I read online. I found out that he was the manager and simply asked him if he intended to ENCOURAGE a new, interested person into the world of RC flight. He paused, and asked me to show him the battery charger that I had been reading about online. After a short converstion, he apologized and offered to order the charger that I wanted and take back the charger that I had purchased the previous day.
It does take work to make a local business successful. It also takes kindness, good communication and patience. I hope this LHS will be my hobby home, along with the valuable information presented on the Flite Test site and Forum. You guys are my inspiration. I am determined to fly!

wilmracer

I build things that fly (sometimes)
Mentor
Thank goodness for Hobby Hanger here in northern VA. Fantastic and smart staff, great selection even for a scratch builder like myself, and they are ALWAYS there. If they went out of business I'd be screwed.

PropSpinner

My favorite small town LHS went out of business. The owner was knowledgeable and helpful. When I was new to electric he saved me from wasting money on my projects by helping me make the wisest decisions. He had a website and kept up with the technology. The economy and the suppliers ran him out of business. If he listed things at a competitive price on his website some of the suppliers would call him and tell him he couldn't sell items that cheap. He is sorely missed.

510thousandths

Just someone else.
Mentor
I am sure that it has been said many times in this thread, if you have a good LHS, support them. Living near Dayton, oh I am blessed with 2 pretty darned great one, and the third one is good. What makes a LHS good or great? It unfortunately depends on what you need....so here goes how the 3 in my area work out..

#1 is Great if you want RTF, RTR, and just want to buy something to crash/wreck. They have a Very large selection of RTF and BNF products, and if that is what you need, they 95% have what you want instock. New items go quick, they move alot of product. But there main focus is cars..they sell alot of cars and parts and even have a track in the parking lot. As far as for scratch building, not as much. They have the required balsas and glues and hardware...you can easily build the airframe from current stock.
As for knowledge and helpful staff...i would give them a B. They want to help, are big enough to have decent prices and have an adequate knowledge base from some of the seasoned staff. I would call this place the "i want to fly today and could you maybe sell me the parts I need after I discover I don't know how to fly" shop. They will do all of the above helpfully and nicely :)

I am going to jump to the 3rd shop, because it is the antithesis to Shop #1. They have parts, carbon, balsa, depron, epp, cockpits, wire and cables, every prop, they are basically a mailorder parts company with a storefront that is not meant to be merchandised invitingly, but if you need it...they have it...somewhere. The staff has a knowledge base that covers everything from single channel on/off transmitters to almost the very current (maybe put them a year behind the trends) This is the place that if you still want to build a sig kit from the 80's, they probably still have it instock. Staff is a little unapproachable at first, but ask a question and you get more knowledge shared that you could ever want.
#3 is the Builders LHS.

#2 fits right in the middle. They have a focus on aircraft and would love to tell you about buying a RTF, that you do not know how to fly and are going to crash..Start Here...we will help you get in the air, we have the knowledge, the parts to fix it (usually); and a Field you can join or buy a key to (public field that requires an AMA membership and small fee to get the key code, or a membership to the Club). The staff is not as approachable as #1, a little easier to break the ice than #3 but they are they to help....but this is not the place to mention Hobby King or "I found this online." They do want you as a customer and to can order what you need.

I shop all three, spend most of my money at #2 and #3, but do go to #1 if a want to get a good price on BNF stuff or just want to get in and out. I feel that at #2 that I must buy something just because I walked in the door...and usually do, but it that kind of place. #3 I lurk about and talk to the guy behind the counter...sometimes for an hour...or more appropriately, listen to him.

Last edited:
The lhs debate has been going for a long time. The problems are always seem to be the same. #1 the staff there knows best even when you have done your research and most are rude and unapproachable unless you know them on a first name basis. #2 they rarely have what you want or need with out having to order it and wait a week or two to get it and sometimes can't even order what you want. #3 the prices are usually out of atmosphere.

This predicament always sucks for me as I typically only shop at the lhs. I have to see, touch and otherwise handle the things I buy to inspect for quality and is it what I was expecting to buy. Not all of my projects are off the shelf setups and sometimes I am looking for something to make it work and need to check fit and other things, many times the staff is less than helpful in that.

I am relatively fortunate that I have 1 lhs left in the city of albuquerque some 70 miles from my house. At first the employees were less than helpful but now that I have been buying alot of parts and pieces for a while it is tolerable. It's worth mentioning that there prices on the name branded stuff is eigther the same or even lower than I can get online, especially the horizon hobby stuff. I am glad that I have a place to go to still even though the selection is limited. The staff there is knowledgeable, they have a guy for planes, helis, cars and quads, but they are not necessarily up to date with what's going on in the hobby.

Please support your lhs when you can and lhs guys please be reasonable with your attitudes towards your customers and prices.

mlh122

I'm lucky enough to have 5 LHS's to choose from but they all have pros and cons:
#1 is a hobbytown right by my house and some of the employees are very knowledgeable and some aren't so much, but they are all approachable and will help with what they can. Their prices on non-electronic parts are pretty good and lot of stock. Their prices on electronic parts are pretty high. I recommended a newbie pilot buddy go there for a charger and battery. I recommended he go there with me but he had some time off of work and went without me. The really smart guy was not there, and the other guy sold him an Onyx charger (which seems sort of based on cars but can be adapted to planes, but he has no cars so I would have went with something more plane oriented), and a battery that's 700mah above the maximum recommended battery for his sport cub. They are a parkzone dealer so they should have known or at least checked if that battery was kinda big for that plane. It flies ok with that battery, but needs extra throttle and tends to stall more and a little rough on landing.

#2 is a mom n pop shop right by my work, the owner is usually the only one that works there, and he's fairly disrespectful and unhelpful so I've pretty much stopped going there. They had good stock and it was convenient to go on my lunch break but he's kinda rude, if I didn't have other options nearby I probably would still be going there.

#3 is another mom n pop shop about 25 minutes away, they have a lot of stock and the employees are very smart though not very helpful. if you can ask a very quick and direct question they probably know the answer, but if you need to troubleshoot something you are on your own. they also have a good selection of used planes. My newbie buddy also went there for a battery for a different plane and they sold him one that was 1000mah bigger than the max recommended battery for his plane, why do stores keep selling huge batteries? his motor would support another cell, why not a smaller battery with more cells ugh... I still like that store though.

#4 is a hobbytown about 20 minutes away, it's the biggest hobbytown I've been to though a lot of it is dedicated to cars and boats, still pretty good plane selection, and the employees are nice and talkative and helpful though not very smart regarding plane stuff.

#5 is another mom n pop shop about 30 minutes away, and they have a very good selection of used planes, plane parts etc... the employees are pretty nice and smart and approachable. the last time i was there a customer was telling the other customers to not shop there because everything is cheaper on hobbyking and the owner got mad and kicked him out, as the kid was getting kicked out he asked for a job application and the owner laughed at him. then some customers shared stories of how hobbyking parts let them down or never showed up.