Looking for a place to learn to fly

NicCf1

Try looking for a local fight club near you.
I am an adult that is looking for a place to learn to fly. I live in the Scranton area of Pennsylvania.
This is a list of every RC club in Pennsylvanian by county.

Flying Monkey fab

Elite member
@NicCf1 gave you resources, let me give advice. You didn’t say what you have as background but you will save a lot of heartache if you will do some reading up and get a simulator and put some hours in there before putting too much into lessons. It really helps you and most any instructor loves it when a new student shows up with a good general understanding.

AIRFORGE

Make It Fly!
While there is the possibility this thread/member is legit, does it not seem odd that someone that joined in April 2015 using an email address as their name just posted for the first and only time in 9 years?

Cokomojo81

While there is the possibility this thread/member is legit, does it not seem odd that someone that joined in April 2015 using an email address as their name just posted for the first and only time in 9 years?
I am a real person and have had an interest in doing this for a long time. Just finally at a point in life when I can. I reached out looking for help, but I guess this is just another group of keyboard cowboys.

Cokomojo81

Try looking for a local fight club near you.
I joined the AMA and searched for local clubs. Thought that maybe someone here would know of an actual active club near me. Most of them I found have webpages that have not been updated in years and don't seem to have an active presence on social media.
Also, thank you for your help.

Cokomojo81

@NicCf1 gave you resources, let me give advice. You didn’t say what you have as background but you will save a lot of heartache if you will do some reading up and get a simulator and put some hours in there before putting too much into lessons. It really helps you and most any instructor loves it when a new student shows up with a good general understanding.
Is there a trainer you would recommend? Controller?

Flying Monkey fab

Elite member
Is there a trainer you would recommend? Controller?
Real flight is the standard though there are several that work fine. You can order Real flight with a controller and get futzing around right away. No sim is 100% realistic but they are way cheaper than crashing something physical over and over. I was/am an experienced pilot when I came to RC but flying line of sight messed with my head so I had to put a bunch of time in to get over that.

AIRFORGE

Make It Fly!

NicCf1

Personally (I'm a semi-beginner) The easiest plane for me to fly has been the FT Traveler. Its a pusher with a Polyhedral wing. Happy soaring!

dap35

Elite member
I am an adult that is looking for a place to learn to fly. I live in the Scranton area of Pennsylvania.
Welcome to the hobby. I think it is an unfortunate problem that most clubs don't maintain an an active website. In checking the AMA "find a club" , there are a number of clubs that have FRIA status. To me that means they are still active and invested the effort to get FRIA status approval. I would suggest reaching out to the club contact listed on the AMA site.

Clubs with FRIA sites near Scranton

Cokomojo81

I had sent out a bunch of emails last evening to the contact emails listed on the AMA site. Fortunately one of them responded and even better they fly close to where I work.

This is something that I have wanted to do for a long time and have tried learning on my own with inexpensive planes and radios. Now I just want to learn properly and have a decent aircraft.

Thanks to everyone for the advise. I think I am going to listen to Flying Monkey fab & NicCf1 and also invest in Real Flight and a Good transmitter.

I am looking at the Spektrum DX6e & the Ws2000 dongle. I am on the right path?

luvmy40

Elite member
I'm not sure how it will integrated with the simulator, but I would suggest you look at the RadioMaster transmitters. With Edge TX, they are virtually limitless in capability. I.e., you will likely never need to "upgrade", and they are significantly less expensive than the Spektrum radios.

Cokomojo81

I'm not sure how it will integrated with the simulator, but I would suggest you look at the RadioMaster transmitters. With Edge TX, they are virtually limitless in capability. I.e., you will likely never need to "upgrade", and they are significantly less expensive than the Spektrum radios.
Thank you, I will check those out now.

Tench745

Master member
I had sent out a bunch of emails last evening to the contact emails listed on the AMA site. Fortunately one of them responded and even better they fly close to where I work.

This is something that I have wanted to do for a long time and have tried learning on my own with inexpensive planes and radios. Now I just want to learn properly and have a decent aircraft.

Thanks to everyone for the advise. I think I am going to listen to Flying Monkey fab & NicCf1 and also invest in Real Flight and a Good transmitter.

I am looking at the Spektrum DX6e & the Ws2000 dongle. I am on the right path?

I recently set up a DX6e and from what I saw it's a pretty capable little radio. I prefer my FRSky radio for all the extra things it can do, but the Spektrum probably has a a shorter learning curve for a beginner to climb.

dap35

Elite member
I recently set up a DX6e and from what I saw it's a pretty capable little radio. I prefer my FRSky radio for all the extra things it can do, but the Spektrum probably has a a shorter learning curve for a beginner to climb.
I agree on the FrSky front and the newer Ethos based radios have made it easier to pick up than OpenTX. A decent Spectrum radio can be an OK starting point, and makes it easy if you are buying bind-n-fly planes it makes it easy. The challenge is once you need more channels. Spectrum gets expensive quick.
Also, at our field, a significant number of Spectrum fliers started having problems with LOS. FrSky and Jeti seem to have more resilient protocol. The current theory is that the farmer has installed a number of cameras around the field we use and whatever radio they use is impacting the 2.4 spectrum in the area.