Lost plane , searching for GPS blackbox

Jonn

Hello,
just lost my first plane due to mechanical failure. So after doing a little research, I found that a GPS tracker would be a great option. But I really can't find GPS trackers, that I could put in my plane. Could you please recommend me one?

Shurik-1960

The simplest GPS tracker is a children's watch. The location of the child is shown very accurately in a special program. I bought my daughter a new watch-phone with a GPS tracker for $ 80, and I took off the strap and case from the old ones for $ 50 and put a model with a span of 2m in the FPV. I always charge my watch before the flight!!

JasonK

Participation Award Recipient
Hello,
just lost my first plane due to mechanical failure. So after doing a little research, I found that a GPS tracker would be a great option. But I really can't find GPS trackers, that I could put in my plane. Could you please recommend me one?

if your going to put a RID module on your craft, you could just have the app open when flying, which would then track your flight, should have enough range to cover LOS flying.

if flying with a Flight controller, you could add a GPS and enable position telemetry, which will let you get the GPS info from the telemetry on your TX.

Jonn

if your going to put a RID module on your craft, you could just have the app open when flying, which would then track your flight, should have enough range to cover LOS flying.

if flying with a Flight controller, you could add a GPS and enable position telemetry, which will let you get the GPS info from the telemetry on your TX.
I suppose the 2nd option isn't possible with the flysky i6?

Jonn

The simplest GPS tracker is a children's watch. The location of the child is shown very accurately in a special program. I bought my daughter a new watch-phone with a GPS tracker for $ 80, and I took off the strap and case from the old ones for $ 50 and put a model with a span of 2m in the FPV. I always charge my watch before the flight!!
Do I need a sim card for it to work?

dap35

Elite member
The airtag option isn't bad. If you or someone with an iPhone gets within a few hundred feet, it can pick up the location and guide you to it.
Another option would require a radio with telemetry and a GPS in the plane. FrSky has extensive telemetry including GPS which runs ~$40. With recent iPhone iOS releases you can grab a photo of the GPS coordiates and past them into your favorite map application.

Jonn

The airtag option isn't bad. If you or someone with an iPhone gets within a few hundred feet, it can pick up the location and guide you to it.
Another option would require a radio with telemetry and a GPS in the plane. FrSky has extensive telemetry including GPS which runs ~$40. With recent iPhone iOS releases you can grab a photo of the GPS coordiates and past them into your favorite map application.
But the second option only works if I still have a connection between rx and tx?

Shurik-1960

Jonn!​

Yes, you need to insert a SIM card into the watch. Yesterday I drove away from my house in the village for 24 km and looked at where my watch is .According to the program, I saw that the clock (it was on the plane) is in the veranda of my house. The watches themselves weigh very little and are now very cheap. Why complicate your life if there is a simple solution nearby.

Jonn

Jonn!​

Yes, you need to insert a SIM card into the watch. Yesterday I drove away from my house in the village for 24 km and looked at where my watch is .According to the program, I saw that the clock (it was on the plane) is in the veranda of my house. The watches themselves weigh very little and are now very cheap. Why complicate your life if there is a simple solution nearby.
Do I need a prepaid sim card or what? How much credit do I need in it?

Shurik-1960

I bought this watch and the following with a GPS tracker, because the location of the cellular stations gives an approximate result. And duplicating-gives up to 1 m error. In Russia, a SIM card costs me $ 3 per month. I have 4 ARDUCOPTER 2.8 + 4 GPS Ublox MAX, which are on models with a wingspan of 1.4 meters.They are installed permanently on a vibration coupling.And I just throw a model in my forehead when I fly in an unfamiliar place with large and dense grass and shrubs. One day I lost a model in the tall grass.I searched for 3 days, walked and wiggled sticks...on the 3rd day, the regulator began to beep (the battery ran out) - that's the only way I found it. There are also squeakers when the model is lost (the battery was unfastened on impact on landing and the squeaker turned off, but it was lucky in the visibility zone).