• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Low KV high torque motors

I have a motor that has a relatively low KV/RPM but has a really high torque.
Question:
What kind of prop should I use for maximum thrust?
Are larger and pitchier peops better for this motor?

FDS

Yes, larger props work best on low Kv motors. Choice of prop depends on plane weight and the desired flight characteristics.

DamoRC

Mentor
I have a motor that has a relatively low KV/RPM but has a really high torque.
Question:
What kind of prop should I use for maximum thrust?
Are larger and pitchier peops better for this motor?
Larger diameter - yes.

Higher pitch - no - depending on your specific motor battery plane combination.

Speaking of specifics - can you provide some?:)

Larger diameter - yes.

Higher pitch - no - depending on your specific motor battery plane combination.

Speaking of specifics - can you provide some?:)
I have a brushed motor lying around that I didn't want to throw out, so I thought I might use it for a plane

The motor is rated at 1.5-9V, so I'm going to power it using a 2 cell lipo battery. It can only produce 7400RPM, but a lot of torque. I want it on a plane flying wind, for which I would prefer low-speed, efficient thrust rather than outright speed. I guess I should go with a lower pitch prop?

DamoRC

Mentor
These are low power units, a few watts max I would guess based on specs of similar sized motors. Being generous and assuming 5 watts, with 50 watts per pound being the lowest power to weight for flight, your plane could be no heavier 2 ounces. The motor itself is approx half an ounce.

Not saying it couldn't be done , it's just gonna need to be really light. Also will probably have to use a gearbox to get a small prop to spin fast enough.