Maiden 360 Video

megabotz

TWO DOLLARS!
This is the manual maiden 360 video shot from my beta prototype camera-carrying UAV. For best results, watch on your phone with the latest version of youtube. You can move the phone around to view the whole video sphere. On your computer, you would look around with your mouse.

I sat on this video for awhile until I could make improvements that result in better videos. You can see lines in the video that are probably the result from a rolling shutter combined with fast motion.

Shooting at a distance and/or slow speeds for close-up things solve most of that, which will be shown in another video I will post soon.

If you think this is cool, please share, like & subscribe!

megabotz

megabotz

TWO DOLLARS!
Super awesome!! I loved watching the quad’s shadow.

Thanks! If you want to see this flight from the ground, I have included it below.

Thanks again to Darkback2 from the board for piloting this experimental beast!

megabotz

megabotz

TWO DOLLARS!
wow amazing!

What sort of use do you have in mind for it?

I think the best use of it will be shooting scenes where a single 16:9 frame just won't do. Large panoramic vistas where it would be hard to pick which direction to shoot are perfect. I tried (& failed) to shoot the recent full eclipse's advancing shadow in Oregon.

A neighbor of mine in real estate who deals in 7+ figure homes got really excited when I showed him. I'm sure that real estate/construction industries would find a few uses.

For law enforcement/military use, I would think that situational awareness in active shooter/riot situations could keep people out of harm's way.

It was built for bad pilots like me with full autonomous functions. I have crashed this thing many, many, many times & it is close to indestructible.

megabotz

JimCR120

Got Lobstah?
Site Moderator
I've been very tempted to grab a low$ 360 cam. It seems like such a good way to go for a ride. My wife told me my mother in law has always wanted to go up in a hot air balloon and I thought an FPV ride with a 360º cam would be a step in that direction. Which cam are you using? Can you fly it FPV real time?

megabotz

TWO DOLLARS!
I've been very tempted to grab a low$ 360 cam. It seems like such a good way to go for a ride. My wife told me my mother in law has always wanted to go up in a hot air balloon and I thought an FPV ride with a 360º cam would be a step in that direction. Which cam are you using? Can you fly it FPV real time?

You might want the 360fly. They say it is 4k & covers 360x240 degrees. The video above is 360x360 but depending on your needs & what you want to shoot, 2/3 of the video sphere might be acceptable. I don't know if you can stream the video live from this unit.

I am using 7 GoPro Hero 4 Sessions but the airframe can handle 7 of whatever action cameras you want to mount. For heavier cameras, larger props can be used but flight time is affected negatively. I have a separate FPV camera because the Hero 4 Session cannot give you real time fpv.

As an aside, I am designing a 6 sensor 360 camera to go with this airframe with a ton of goodies I can't yet share. Unfortunately not low $$.

megabotz

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Super awesome!! I loved watching the quad’s shadow.

I did the same thing. It baffles me though as the shadow looks like a tri copter carrying a quad copter to me. It is cool to see footage like this as there have been MANY MANY times I have wanted to see something someone in a normal camera based quad went past.

You really have to have a well tuned quad and serious vibration damping for these though it seems.

Edit Just saw the ground footage.. It is a tri in a y6 configuration.. I AM sane!!

Last edited:

megabotz

TWO DOLLARS!
It baffles me though as the shadow looks like a tri copter carrying a quad copter to me.

Strange shape, to be sure. The 2 camera plates stick out almost as far as the booms & form an octahedron, or the shape of a D8 die for my nerds out there. An octahedron has 6 points & 8 trianuglar sides. A camera is facing out from each of the 6 points. Calling it the "Octahedral Camera Array."

You really have to have a well tuned quad and serious vibration damping for these though it seems.

All the motors & props are as balanced as possible & I have 6 vibration damping balls per camera plate. Carbon fiber helps with vibrations too. The booms themselves are very flexible & I have watched the booms flex & vibrate in flight without the motion coming through to the FC or cameras. It really is a neat bird.

Thanks for the encouraging words!

megabotz