Maidened my Skipper

Subcanis

Crash Test Mechanic
What a fantastic, fun little plane. Ran through 3 batteries at my local flying (soccer) field and then went over to a small pond nearby. First time flying on or off water (intentionally, at least).

Flies great, I was very impressed with the slow speed handling. Stalls are sharp, but clean and a non-event. It's pretty slick and doesn't like to slow down, so my approaches were fairly long. Plan ahead. I'm sure I can make them tighter and slower once I get more familiar with where the stall is.

I hardly used any rudder for flying. Rudder input is plenty adequate while taxiing on grass, less so on water. Again, plan ahead. Some have extended the rudder for water ops, I think that is a very good idea.

Inverted required a fair bit of down, but managable. I found it impossible to trim the pitch for the entire speed envelope. Found a happy medium and was able to manage it fine with stick pressure.

Power is adequate. I wouldn't be mad at a little more though. Water takeoffs seemed to take more distance than grass, but I was also being pretty conservative. I was more letting it get on step and fly off. I don't know if trying to "pop" up to break the surface tension sooner would be a good move or not. I'll let you know. ;)

Just for reference:
-1300 3s, 30-40c
-DX6 and Lemon receiver
-Totally stock, throws as instructed with the exception of rudder, which I set at the maximum I could while maintaining equal deflection. 35% expo all around. Will probably increase pitch and roll throws a bit, and experiment with rates.

Issues I'm sure will need to be addressed sooner than later:
-The "hinges". I reinforced mine with extreme packing tape. Real ones would be best.
-Hull protection. I put a strip of extreme packing tape down the centerline. I'm contemplating trying to laminate it, or perhaps glueing a layer of thin plastic or the like down.

Overall, super happy with it. For the price, I wouldn't hesitate to recommended it.

Removed some of the decals and added some paint for visibility:
20160901_142002.jpg

Skill level, no idea. Intermediate? I've been flying since early spring. Taught myself on a FT Explorer using both wings (RIP, thanks dad...:black_eyed:), crashed a few Versas, and have been pretty exclusively flying a CTH Assassin for the last couple months.

Cereal_Killer

Oh man, so cool! I really want to get a water plane soon, probably won't happen before next summer atleast but I can dream...

Got video?

PS, for hull protection I use and recommend (on both EPP and EPO) shoe goo (aka "goop"). Spread it on with a popsicle stick as thin as you can get it. Makes EPP invincible and greatly increases EPO's crash survivability.

Last edited:

Subcanis

Crash Test Mechanic
No video, I fly alone for the most part and am not set up for it. Sorry.

Id think the Goop would have too much friction on land? Ive used it on my Kayak and went through hundreds of tubes of it back in my skateboarding days. I'm picturing a scene like a kid diving onto a dry slip-n-slide. :black_eyed:

I'm really diggin having something that flies off water. A little nerve wracking, but a ton of fun and it opens up a lot of new areas to fly.

Last edited: