Making a wing with Champ electronics?

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
So, more than likely, my easiest, most cost effective, fastest way to get back in the air with what I have is to probably make a champ out of my DT foam I already have? That way, it's literally swapping electronics from plane to plane?

Pretty much. You already have a template to build from and the other directions you can take either require something else (new radio or parts) or some trial and error (new airframe design).

Getting back in the air is pretty important to me so I won't try to stop you, but as you build the new airframe, try to build it so the electronics can be pulled out easily. That way, after you're done flying and your batteries are recharging, you can work on a RET delta to experiment with. When it's done, burn a battery on the new airframe and see what you like/hate, and tweak. Good chance you'll eventually make something you like better than the champ clone, and the brick stays in the scratchbuilt.

maxxnslash

Pretty much. You already have a template to build from and the other directions you can take either require something else (new radio or parts) or some trial and error (new airframe design).

Getting back in the air is pretty important to me so I won't try to stop you, but as you build the new airframe, try to build it so the electronics can be pulled out easily. That way, after you're done flying and your batteries are recharging, you can work on a RET delta to experiment with. When it's done, burn a battery on the new airframe and see what you like/hate, and tweak. Good chance you'll eventually make something you like better than the champ clone, and the brick stays in the scratchbuilt.

+1 to that brother. Thanks for a lot of good advice! I'll post up pictures of my progress as I get closer. Now off to the drawing board!! :D

maxxnslash

Well I'm going to bump this one up. I haven't came up with anything and the Champ is still hanging here in my room. Anyone interested in it (as far as buying it), or have any ideas to do?

maxxnslash

Well, you are in luck because I just discovered this thread over at r/c groups a few days ago:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1146395

I believe the AR6400 (now AR6410) units are functionally identical (and possibly identical) to the electrics in the Champ.

I didn't actually see any plans in there anywhere? I saw a few traditional style planes, but not flying wings. Even then, I didn't see any instructions.