Marutaka (Royal) Cessna172 R/C Balsa Kit or equivalent.

nhk750

Aviation Enthusiast
I flew the 172SP, N and a really old one a long time ago. Recently just the SP fuel injected version. So, I'm looking for a rc 172 model to build to try and match the last 172 I flew in real life.

It has been a difficult search! You would think such a common aircraft would be emulated in the rc world and be abundant, but it is just the opposite!

I found the Marutaka (Royal) Cessna172 R/C Balsa Kit on Ebay for $288.00 but that is way out of my price range. It is the perfect size with the 56" wingspan, and it's too bad they are out of business.

So, my question is, where can I find a 172 in the (around) 56" wingspan size? The 182 would probably work too.

I know the really big scale planes are available to build, but the mid-sized (50-60" wingspan) are really hard to find in kit form. I can find ARF's, and the like, all day long, but kits are another story.

jsknockoff

Mentor
That could be a tough find. You might be able to find an old Berkly models plan for one near that size but a kit in production is very unlikely.

nhk750

Aviation Enthusiast
Plans

If you're up to it you could take a good set of plans and get them resized.

Actually the Marutaka plans are available for free, but I just didn't feel like cutting out all the balsa parts. A kit would be nice. I have only cut a few balsa parts in my time, and I never got the method down yet. I guess I could always make it a learning project...some day...

nhk750

Aviation Enthusiast
I found an affordable Royal 172 kit, brand new, on Ebay. Should be shipping soon. Got it in Canada, so the exchange rate makes it a bit less expensive. The guy has a whole bunch of kits he got 10 years ago and has decided to start selling a few. What a stroke of luck!

This will probably be a two winter build as I plan on doing most of the work next winter, taking my time and try to make a replica of the 172 I flew in real life. This winter I'm too busy with FT planes...

IMG_1216.JPG