Mighty Mini Mustang... 1st ever foamy build

CarolineTyler

Legendary member
I'm really jumping back into this RC with both feet. have one tricopter nearly complete, another in build and.... as I might as well use that fourth motor that I bought in a bundle for the tricopter, I'm building a mighty mini Mustang - printed out the plans cut all the board and stated on my 1st ever scratch built foamy.
It's coming along nicely if rather messily, the foamboard easily available in the UK is 5mm and the paper really doesn't like being peeled off LOL! Managed to burn myself with napalm - sorry - hot glue, a couple of times. What can I say? It's a learning curve :)
Anyway, I've go to here...
IMG_20180422_223145191_HDR.jpg

Dreaded top deck to do!!!

Caroline

Last edited:

Swimjim

Top deck? Watch Peters video on building the Corsair. He shows you how to pre bend the poster board which makes making the top deck a lot easier

CarolineTyler

Legendary member
Finished it!!
Its not a very polished build and about 80gms heavier than the PDF plans suggest for AUW but that is most likely a combination of my inexperience with this type of building, heavier/denser foam board and the over large receiver/ESC and motor (2206-2160kV) combination.
Now all I have to do is wait for some decent weather. Hated doing the top decking!
Also used rare earth magnets to secure the hatch and glued the motor pod into place.

IMG_20180424_195612564_HDR.jpg

CarolineTyler

Legendary member
If the weather holds out it will be maiden time this weekend and most likely trash bin time by the end of the weekend.
Going to start out on a 2S 850mAh so its not an immediate pocket rocket :)

Caroline

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Make sure to give it a strong hand launch to get the airspeed up quickly - almost flat out, with just a tiny big of up angle - maybe 5 or 10 degrees. The goal is to get airspeed up so the wing is creating lift before pointing the plane to the sky.

If possible have a buddy to the launch so you can keep hands on the sticks, or launch with the hand that's not needed for elevator/aileron control

Good luck!!

cranialrectosis

Faster than a speeding face plant!
Mentor
I recommend some paint to help you keep orientation. The mini-Mustang is small and fast already. If it's also hard to see, yours may end up looking like mine. :)

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
I will second the put some elbow into the toss. It seems I have that problem when I lunch. To skeered to give er some throttle and a hard toss in the air. they seem to almost want to fly them kind of roll over and play or be dead before I can manage to get both hands on the transmitter haha.

Namactual

Elite member
The build looks great, good luck on the maiden!

And I hear ya on the paper top decking. The first FT plane I built was the full sized Mustang and vowed never to use poster board ever again. I have been modifying every build since with foamboard.

You have to be careful with foamboard aircraft, it's gets addictive in a hurry.

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
if thats your first build you have nothing to be worried about. i have seen FAR worse...

the mini-stang is a very fun, very quick, nimble aircraft. it is also very small and easy to loose track of. if not an experienced pilot i would set rates very low and expo high. start on a 2S and move up from there if possible. a 3S-850 is the butter but you better be ready.

good luck,

me :cool:

CarolineTyler

Legendary member
if thats your first build you have nothing to be worried about. i have seen FAR worse...

the mini-stang is a very fun, very quick, nimble aircraft. it is also very small and easy to loose track of. if not an experienced pilot i would set rates very low and expo high. start on a 2S and move up from there if possible. a 3S-850 is the butter but you better be ready.

good luck,

800mAh 2S is for the maiden, 850mAh 3S arriving on Friday ;)
I used to have a GWS 'stang that I changed to a brushless and that was a rocket so looking forward to first flight.
Next foamy is gong to be the Long EZ as I have always admired Burt Rutan designs!!!

jamboree1

Congrats on a successful maiden. If broken prop becomes a problem you can switch to a prop saver or an APC prop, these are very durable.

foamtest

Toothpick glider kid

good luck,

3s? Try 4s for some real fun...

Also great paint job!