Mini Bushwacker or mini Edge 540?

krypton

I have always wanted a 3D capable plane but the regular size FT Bushwacker and FT Edge 540 are too large for the flying space I have available.

I want to use Power Pack F equivalent, was thinking of just printing the plans 70% scale and adjusting any tabs or folds to match the thickness of the foam board.

Would they still carry their flying characteristics to the small scale or do I need to make any changes regarding wing loading?

Paracodespoder

Elite member
I have always wanted a 3D capable plane but the regular size FT Bushwacker and FT Edge 540 are too large for the flying space I have available.

I want to use Power Pack F equivalent, was thinking of just printing the plans 70% scale and adjusting any tabs or folds to match the thickness of the foam board.

Would they still carry their flying characteristics to the small scale or do I need to make any changes regarding wing loading?
All the flitetest minis that have a larger version are 60% scale of the larger version, so you might want to consider that. I am going to do a 90% edge sometime because the 2215 in the current c-pack doesn't have enough juice for advanced 3d, too heavy. My vote is for the edge. Good luck!

Brett_N

Make it easy on yourself and try it with the FT3D first. Here's the link since it isn't in the plans list.

https://www.flitetest.com/articles/ft-3d-scratch-build

I would say that a 60% size down of that would work perfect for that motor, and it's a HELLUVA lot easier to build than the whacker or the Edge. I've cranked out about 10 of these little guys now and they're a great flying, super simple building 3D monster. It will do just about anything any of my profile foamies will, or my big balsa 3D planes. And it's $2 and some glue if you wreck it.

Only word of warning is to pay attention to the horizontal stab - when you cut the elevator out it creates a very thin connector in the slot for the rudder. You will want to reinforce this with either a popsicle stick on both sides, or some carbon fiber.

krypton

Make it easy on yourself and try it with the FT3D first. Here's the link since it isn't in the plans list.

I would say that a 60% size down of that would work perfect for that motor, and it's a HELLUVA lot easier to build than the whacker or the Edge. I've cranked out about 10 of these little guys now and they're a great flying, super simple building 3D monster. It will do just about anything any of my profile foamies will, or my big balsa 3D planes. And it's $2 and some glue if you wreck it.

Only word of warning is to pay attention to the horizontal stab - when you cut the elevator out it creates a very thin connector in the slot for the rudder. You will want to reinforce this with either a popsicle stick on both sides, or some carbon fiber.
Thanks for the advice I will update if I try it.

krypton

Do you mean you've built a lot of regular FT 3D or 60% down FT 3D? If it is the smaller one how does it fly compared to the big one?

mayan

Legendary member
@krypton I built a 60% scaled of the version of the FT Edge and used a f pack motor and a 7x5 prop and flew ok. Tried a smaller prop too and didn’t get the required thrust to stay in the air. This attempt did burn me an ESC. So piece of advice don’t try it unless you don’t have a problem with burning out an ESC or something else. The f pack motor can’t swing a prop size required for the airframe, neither can the a pack motor.

I am currently trying to build one at 75% scale and planning on using a b pack motor with a 9x4.7 prop.

You can read more about both attempts here:
https://forum.flitetest.com/index.php?threads/mini-ft-edge-540-build.57470/#post-458579

Feel free to join in and build one too :).

Last edited:

Gpfury86

All the flitetest minis that have a larger version are 60% scale of the larger version, so you might want to consider that. I am going to do a 90% edge sometime because the 2215 in the current c-pack doesn't have enough juice for advanced 3d, too heavy. My vote is for the edge. Good luck!

The full scale edge doesn’t have enough power even with a good 1300-1550 mah 4cell on the 2215? Has no one tried matching up a little stouter motor/esc combo that will provide a little better thrust/weight ratio?

Paracodespoder

Elite member
The full scale edge doesn’t have enough power even with a good 1300-1550 mah 4cell on the 2215? Has no one tried matching up a little stouter motor/esc combo that will provide a little better thrust/weight ratio?
On 3s it had enough power for loops and rolls and simple stuff like that but it didn’t quite have vertical, on 4s it might, but I don’t have a 4s to try it with.

I ran a Propdrive 3530 1400 in mine, 4s 1800. Very fast. Had a signal loss event and totaled the plane, so my testing couldn't be completed.