"mini" FT Mini Guinea

BridgeInspector

Flite Test Groupie
IMG_3519small.jpg

So I saw some tiny motors. My first thought...those could make a small mini guinea plane.

Not exactly sure of the process that came to my mind, but it started with small motors and enjoying the smaller planes. Smaller planes are easier to store, transport and usually cheaper.

FOAM
I had some 3mm foam board left over from a failed attempt at a mini FT storch (may visit that again with what I have learned) and wanted to use it for this 75% version of the MG (Mini Guinea). I printed the plans at 75% because I would not need to change any of the folds, cavities,tabs, etc. for it to work with the 3mm (heavier) foam.
IMG_3458small.jpg

I used the 3mm foam for the fuselage,nose,canards,power pods. I removed paper where I thought I could to help save weight.
I used DTFB for the wings,elevator and rudder. The wing needed no changes from the reduced plans. The elevator and rudder only needed slightly larger tab holes which I just cut slightly larger on the fly. I had to enlarge the servo holes a bit but not much to get a good fit. The cutting took a few hours over several days.
IMG_3504small.jpg

Once the parts were cut and shaped, the air frame build went very fast. I re-watched the build video a few days before (I have already built the FT MG) to refresh me on the process. The wing span is only 26".
IMG_3508small.jpg

The weight of the foam pieces was 45 grams.
The weight of the foam and hot glue air frame was ~100 grams.
I tried to use as little hot glue as possible, but the glue doubled the weight! Could save some weight with a different glue, (spoiler) but turns out it will be ok.

ELECTRONICS
The part that took the longest was the electric bits.

IMG_3456small.jpg

MOTORS: Emax PM1306-2800kV
ESCs: 10 amp Turnigy Plush
SERVOS: 3.6 gram
RX: Orange RX3SM - for this smaller plane I wanted to also try the gyros, worked well just haven't figured out how to make the stabilization turn off.
PROPS: 4.5X3 used so far. also have 4.5x4 (both on recommendation from specs), both CCW
Battery: 2 cell, I have a few zippy compact 850mah on hand (may get more)

Total weight with electronics was 190 grams.
Total ready to fly with battery was 220 grams.

The watt meter results: (for both motors)
w/4.5x3 props
62.3 watts
8.28 amps

w/4.5x4 props-not yet tried
w/5x3 props-not yet tried

Trying out the differential thrust(can only have one embedded video in each post)
http://youtu.be/nh3SKYMyVY4

MAIDEN
Absolutely beautiful day. Sunny and 70 with light winds under 5 mph.

pictures with big brother MG
IMG_3522small.jpg
IMG_3526small.jpg

No one to video. My 2 year old was there but she can not really operate the camera. I set the camera on a nearby box and guessed at the aim. I walk into the video frame on the left edge and you see me throttle up and toss the MMG into the air. It shoots up and out of frame in .6 seconds and CRASHES 2 seconds later straight into the ground from 15 feet up.[hangs head] the elevator was backwards. really? I checked everything multiple times. :black_eyed:No damage, just a grass stain on the nose. I deleted the video to save room on my phone, wish the crash was on the video.

I quickly switch the elevator, check all the surfaces AGAIN and the gyro functions AGAIN. Check my CRAP. All good to go again. Rates on low with 30% expo.

No video, but it flew great. It flew very much like its big brother and the slight wind gusts were easily absorbed with the rx/stabilization. Plenty of power to loop, although a bit more elevator authority may be good. Switched to high rates and it was nearly out of my experience level. The rolls were blink-your-eye fast on high rate.

I have a video with the second battery with my copilot in frame. The plane is small but you can see the roll rate well near the end of the video. I need to get my wife to tolerate the flying long enough to get better video, she did great on my MG maiden video.

Clip of the roll

Can't wait to fly it again.
IMG_3518small.jpg
It fits in the front car seat!

BridgeInspector

Flite Test Groupie
Flight Footage

Videotaped by my coworker James F.- His first time to use the camera and to video a RC airplane. He did a great job. Thanks.

Last edited:

LooseBruce

Hows about making the wings fold on the micro Guinea and birthing it from the cargo hold of the Big Guinea??
Sounds like a FT challenge to me.
LooseBruce:eek:

BridgeInspector

Flite Test Groupie
Hows about making the wings fold on the micro Guinea and birthing it from the cargo hold of the Big Guinea??
Sounds like a FT challenge to me.
LooseBruce:eek:

I wonder if my mini Mini Guinea would fit in the 200% Guinea (Giant Guinea Pig?) that Peter is working on?

shythephotoguy

Building also a mini FT Mini Guinea but I'm using the parts of my crashed Flyzone P38. Quite difficult for a 2nd scratch build

Attachments

• IMG_20160617_230415.jpg
    IMG_20160617_230415.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 1
Last edited: